Help

The VENT

Wow

>

checkerjane

Wow
Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was on my TPT purchase history getting a receipt together to be reimbursed for the $50 the district gives us, when I decided to look at my 2018 total. I spent $473 during the year of 2018, as well as $80 from Evan Moor e-books, as well as folders, sheet protectors, etc. Not this year, nope. Not doing it.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Good decision.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldnít spend that much either.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 08-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

TPT sneaks up on you - $2 here, $5 there, and suddenly it's $473.

I have to add in currency conversion - I bought something for $4US this morning, and it cost over $5AU, so my totals look even worse.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Share the cost
Old 08-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just retired and will not miss TPT. Before I retired my friend and I would split the cost of laminated sheets, card stock, and TPT. When I left she got all the leftovers!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Good for you...
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It definitely is easy to rack up bills for TPT items and other school-related things. I didn't spend all that much on TPT because I had a good amount of things from them, but I did have a membership in what was Scholastic Printables and I would buy things from Really Good Stuff during the year, especially for holiday items. We also had a great teacher supply store locally plus a Lakeshore Learning store, so especially at the beginning of the year, I found myself wanting to buy things. And of course, there is always Target.

The last few years I had a minimalist principal. Our rooms are bandboxes with little storage, and she did not appreciate my extensive library and all the materials I had no matter how organized and neatly I tried to store them within the space I had. If I lived in a large home, I might have had more options for storage, but I have neither a basement or a garage in my condo and everything pretty much had to stay in school. I decided that enough was enough and I kept my money for myself. Best decision I could have made.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
TPT sneaks up on you - $2 here, $5 there, and suddenly it's $473.

I have to add in currency conversion - I bought something for $4US this morning, and it cost over $5AU, so my totals look even wors
Yes! Thatís exactly what happened.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

WOWZERS-I was irritated that I spent 190 buck (I kept buying simple printable units for my independent study kids who would suddenly announce that they needed 2-3 weeks work with 24 hours notice).

473-thats enough for me to feel pi**ed off for you!
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Checkerjane-
I hate that they added that feature! I spent almost double what you did last year- having switched grades, I didnít mind spending the money to save myself time. And I justify it by saying I donít spend money on decorating or supplies- but it definitely sucks! After seeing that total is also when I also decided to start selling myself.

I did get an email the other day about them starting something to get grants for TPT purchases- sounds very similar to Donorschoose, but just for TPT. Iím excited about that!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

Purchases
Old 08-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Early in my career, I know there were times would I would easily spend close to 700 if not more! I'd say of that 700, about 100 is what I call frilly stuff. And maybe another 100-200 on things that made my life easier. But the rest was stuff that the school should have bought.

Once I got more experience, and organization, I decided to spend less. It took the experience and organization to do this because things seemed to move so fast and were so chaotic, that it was just easier for me to buy it than flip through catalogs, wait for approval, then for the items to be delivered.

It's been refreshing to have that money go into savings. I spend 100 to 150 a year by choice. This past year, I don't think I spent 50 though.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-03-2019, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

TPT seemed to always be a waste of money. First of all, as low paid professionals, we should be sharing and helping. Second most of these ideas were supbar. Most important, a lot of the materials could be found elsewhere (usually for free).