Help

The VENT

WGU Online University

>

spunky7

WGU Online University
Old 08-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have experiences with WGU? I am trying to get my SPED certification. (I already have my elementary cert) My state requires 24 credits and student teaching. Itís been very frustrating trying to find a program that offers what I need! Most Masters programs donít include student teaching, but WGU does. Itís really the only online place Iíve found thatís affordable and it seems to be legit. I could easily get my student teaching in as Iím an Ed Tech in a special education program now. I was just wondering what other opinions are about WGU. Thank you!

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 08-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know a few people who have completed teacher licensure or added endorsements through WGU. They liked that the classes are self paced. My friend who added her ESL endorsement was able to basically test out of some of the courses. Sometimes the grading/scoring of assignments was EXTREMELY picky. Like having to go back and redo things multiple times, usually over things like citation formatting.
Overall the program worked well for the people I know even though there were some challenges.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Student Teacher
Old 08-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I havenít personally attended WGU but I had a student teacher that did. She seemed to have a positive experience with it.
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 08-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I got my masters in sped from WGU. I loved that it was self paced and that I could get as much done as quickly as I could so I paid less.
I was teaching when I worked on the degree. My "student teaching" was actually lessons that I had to do in several different placements, with a supervisor (that I found) who observed me. I think I had to do 6 lessons. I think that's all I needed because this was for a master's degree, and I already had a teaching degree.
I know MANY others who received their BS teaching degree from WGU, and did regular student teaching in my district. I've honestly heard nothing but good things about getting a degree that way.
The only thing I'll say, is that I don't feel that the classes were as intense as the other degrees I've received (this was my 3rd - guess I love education. And wanted to keep my sped job.) But again, it may be that I already had those 2 other degrees and lots of experience, so I knew much of what was being taught.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote