Help

The VENT

Take me back....

>

adore2teach

Take me back....
Old 08-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Take me back to the days I was so naive and excited about teaching. I want to go back to when I still had a gleam in my eye and a determination to make a difference. I used to love my job so much, and I couldn't wait to get back from summer vacation. And now it's August 1st, and I am dreading going back. I haven't even started preparing my room and school is now 15 days away. I'll get it done, but I'm dragging my feet this year.

I'm just so tired of demanding parents, wishy washy administrators who don't want to rock the boat or upset a parent, and kids who are so disrespectful and ill-mannered. I'm left wondering if I can even do this anymore. Tell me I'm not alone!

adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel ya! Iím going on year 12 or 13 (honestly canít remember). The shift Iíve seen in parents, students, admin, testing, and education politics is that relatively short amount of time is crazy.

We start PD Monday, and kids come Thursday. Iíve already had my ulcer flare up. Doesnít help they admin is on my ##### list, and Iím going back to a position Iím not happy about.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 08-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím not feeling the joy this year...yet. Maybe it will come. We start next week. Iím still exhausted and recovering from a major surgery so my mind and body are focused on feeling and moving easier than on being a great educator.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím still hoping I get a last minute hire. I donít think I can sub for another year.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Definitely not alone...
Old 08-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am retired now, but I remember for many years how excited I would be about the next school year. Almost before I had a chance to enter summer vacation, when the Lakeshore Learning catalog came out at the end of June, I would be dragging a friend and perusing the items for sale. In those days before Pinterest, I would already be thinking about what borders and backing paper I wanted, and what copy books for curriculum enhancement and projects I would need. As other catalogs came to my mailbox, my excitement would build.

Unfortunately, the five or six years before I retired were nothing like that magic. The evaluation system changed, so true tenure was eliminated and especially as a single person, I always worried I'd fall below the bar somehow. (It never happened, but I worried about it). We got new administration who never realized that all the changes in curriculum they were imposing was impossible to humanly assimilate. I watched the atmosphere in my school go from a collegial family to a competitive rat race with clear favorites. And yes, the kids were not the same either. I taught a primary grade, but the disrespect, upheld by parents who were quick to point the finger at the teacher while making excuses for the behavior made disciplining difficult. And you're right, my principal washed her hands of a lot of it, emailing the teachers when she was displeased with everything from hall behavior to the cafeteria, but not getting her own hands dirty in the process.

I had originally planned on teaching for two more years so I would retire when I reached my full social security age. I decided at age 64 I had enough. To add insult to injury, our legislature passed a law where a mandated health care premium share eclipsed any raise we could negotiate and then some. I receive the same health plan in retirement I was paying for without payment because I was grandfathered when the law changed, so that made it easier also.

I feel so sad when younger teachers, and this is true in my school as well, look at the retirees with envy and wish it was them. I was so fortunate to have taught the bulk of my career in a much different time. I hope the pendulum swings back the other way before the teacher shortage that some places are already seeing becomes a reality, and our students are short-changed. Good luck to you. I hope you have a fantastic school year!

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are not alone. I feel exactly as you do. I go back Monday. Year 19. Students start the 12th. My last 2 years were hell. I don’t want to go back! It’s depressing. But, I’m locked in for 2 more years after this year.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-02-2019, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I start year 34 in 3 weeks. 29th year in the same grade :-) it definitely is a lot more difficult these last seven or eight years for lots of reasons. We have a new P starting this year and I'm not too sure how that's going to go.

At least at this point I qualify for the pittance we can get for early retirement for up to 7 years from my district. At least that would cover buying my own health insurance if I decide I just can't do it anymore at some point sooner than planned.

I'm hoping for five more years until I'm 60. But we'll see.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in the same boat. I go back next week for year 24 and I'm not looking forward to working at all. It's not even just the kids. It's all the baloney that goes with it. I have truly enjoyed having my time off.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Year 14 or 15?? Not sure either...
Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

But I am excited each year at the beginning...I'll be sleepless that Sunday night and the work days until the kids arrive. Now, that's not to say it always lasts but I'll take it. It helps me keep an adrenaline rush during set up, Pd, and first days.

Two years ago, the year was tough from the start with behaviors. Last year was so much better but i was just tired. I have higher hopes this year. That helps too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I got out of teaching pretty quickly and I don't know how you guys do it year after year! Not that I couldn't do a good job with teaching, it just isn't for me personality-wise, I don't think.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have seriously been looking at other things I can do with my teaching degree. I'm just so burnt out. It's just not worth all the time I spend away from my family. I'm just not excited about teaching anymore.
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote