Help

The VENT

Returning to work, waaaah!

>

EarthMonkey

Returning to work, waaaah!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to appear tomorrow for our first day back. We will sit around and be expected to listen to blah blah blah all day while there are so many things that would be useful that we could actually do. I do not want to go back to work. I love teaching, but I would prefer to play, sit around, read my books, watch tv, go camping, garden....but I would get hungry eventually! I hate this day every year!

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Same here! It's so hard to go back! It sounds like your 'teacher work days' are like ours......no time to work in our classrooms! So this basically forces us to go in on our own time to set up our classrooms. Ugh! At times like this, I wish I would have married a millionaire!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 08-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím in the same situation. I havenít been sleeping well so that makes it all the more difficult. Itís going to be a very long day sitting on my butt listening to blah, blah, blah...
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We started on Monday. We had about an hour each day for working in our rooms (unless you worked through lunch). Same blah, blah, blah the first day. We had an agenda to get through and didn't make it in time, so had to continue after lunch and before our next agenda item...

Day 2 was training on a new program we have access to after a 2 1/2 hour clay lesson where we made our own class sun that will be fired in our new kiln. Fun, but.... Today we have training in the morning where people have choice of where to go. Will see how that goes, followed by a staff verticle artic which we SORELY need, but leadership isn't there to make it effective. Maybe I will be surprised.

Tomorrow more training on "new" program #2 by a person who wasn't a part of any of the training given last year - so I don't anticipate it being too effective since she is training people who used it last year and she didn't. Will see. Hey- the afternoon is work in class time. Yay!

Friday, finally time to work in classes. Meet the teacher/Supply drop off is the last hour of the day.
Monday students come.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-07-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yep, several districts in my immediate area all go back one day this week too.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

steach

Me Too!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can totally relate to what you are saying. For some reason itís worse than ever this year. Itís all the beginning of the year garbage that I hate.
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I feel for you!
Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That day is coming for me too soon. It helps a bit to make plans to go out to dinner afterwards w/ a friend to debrief and laugh at the stupidity of what we just sat through. Not a cure...it just helps..
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We start today with two TO days. Lots of meetings and blah, blah, blah. I go out to lunch with work friends both days to throw some fun in. How many days until summer?
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hear you...
Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Eventually, retirement will be the nirvana you are looking for. I definitely feel for you. I taught for 42 years, loved it for the most part, but at the end, with all the requirements that took hours at home as well as at school, I definitely didn't welcome the new school year as I once did. I loved having the summers off to do what I wanted and Sunday nights did not fill me with any stress. I feel like every day I have in retirement is a blessing because of that freedom.

I also feel you about the PD. While I once got excited, towards the end, all I saw it as was more stuff to worry about and more things to have to do. It all started from Day One with those meetings. And we used to have two days for classroom prep, now one of them is filled with PD.

Enjoy your year with your class. Once you are in the swing, it will all be okay. Good luck to you and to all the teachers returning. They are lucky to have you out there working with our kids.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote