The VENT

Not so welcome

>

iloveglitter2

Not so welcome
Old 08-07-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need encouragement!

My district cut funding and I got moved to a school much farther away. That is just the beginning though. This school is terrible! I am talking about kids running the hallway and teachers and admin having no control, not asserting control either!

The bar is set so low on education too. I am so floored at the decisions my team is making! At my old school they'd be sent jobless for this stuff! I am trying to quietly do what I know is best. But, I am really frustrated already. My team is not welcoming at all!

I got moved a few years ago and it was bad! I am terrified this is going to be rough!

The teacher next to me has opened up about some things. She says it is a circus. These teachers have gotten by with barely doing their jobs and not controlling the kids.

I just need encouragement! How to cope with an unwelcoming team and functioning in a school that is not so great.

PS - I came from a title 1 school. We had one of the highest rates of of homelessness but we also had the highest reading scores in the entire state. So, I am from low economic school that made things work. This new school just has given up on these kids!

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

My Advice
Old 08-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is to quietly close your door and do what you know is best for your students!

I am truly sorry this move has happened to you, but it is my belief that you are there to touch those lives, or for them to touch yours.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can do it! I agree - shut your door and do what you know is best. You can't control what's happening with the other kids, but you can control what's happening in your room. Maybe, just maybe, others will see what you are able to accomplish and start to raise the bar. And hopefully the teacher that is starting to open up will become someone you can turn to, even if your whole team is not.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you!
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I feel for you
Old 08-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel for you. I just left a school that was very similar. Teachers and administrators had no expectations academically or behaviorally and the place was a #### show. I had to get out. I couldn't even enforce expectations in my own classroom because the kids saw that everyone else didn't have to follow the rules, didn't have the same academic expectations I had, etc. so they didn't follow them and there was no administrative back up, the admin sided with the kids. I really thought the school had potentially but when no one was willing to work for it and low expectations (more like no expectations) became so ingrained in the culture of the school, I knew I had to get out. I'm starting a new school this fall and I hope it's better!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Getting an involuntary transfer is always hard. Listen to what others are saying, close your door and teach the best you can. Maybe you can be the spark to ignite the changes in attitude!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

So sorry
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can be the game changer that the kids, staff, and administrators need. Coming from a Title 1 school, you know what works and what doesn’t. Protect your class from the insanity of their surroundings.
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

You’ve got this!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I’m sooooo sorry you’ve been dropped into this situation. You’ve received some great advice. It will be a tough year but you will make it through.

From your experience, you have tremendous skills. Remind yourself of that. Then, make your classroom a haven for your kids.

Make sure you have some fun on your first day so the kids are excited about coming back. I give my kids at dismissal a baggie with goldfish crackers (with a cutout stapled onto the bag) saying “You’re o-fish-ally a ____ grader.” It was free on Tpt.

Start out strong with team building. Figure out what the class would like (extra recess, free drawing time, anything that you don’t have to spend money on). Have the team, your class, work together for that. Positive peer pressure works if the class buys into it. I read on another thread about a book on team building- something about tribes? I’m not familiar with it but hopefully someone can help?

Regarding your team, listen and nod your head. Then close your door and do what you know is best.

Keep an eye on your neighbor to see if your styles coincide. Then you might be able to do some things together with your classes.

We’re here for you. We know you can do this!

Last edited by KetchupChips; 08-08-2019 at 04:12 PM..
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Agree with OPs
Old 08-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm so sorry that you are going through this, but on the other hand, it sounds like they really need your experience from your other school.

Close your door and teach, remembering that personnel come and go...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 08-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

While you may not be able to change the entire school, you can make a change in your own classroom. Like the other posters have said, shut your door and do your best for your students. I've been in terrible team situations, but my room was my sanctuary for myself and my students. Keep pushing and do what's right for your students.

Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Wow
Old 08-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm sorry about your new assignment. You have quite a year ahead of you. I agree with the OP, this could be a transformative year for you and you have a great opportunity to impact students and staff. Team building will help make your class gel as a cohesive group.
After I retired I found a wonderful book, Educating Esme, by Esme R. Codell. I wish I'd had her spirit deal with admin and staff.
Hope you'll keep us posted as to how your year goes! Best of luck!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote