Help

The VENT

Welcome back to school to me!

>

checkerjane

Welcome back to school to me!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I already have a bruise. My nonverbal autistic kiddo had a meltdown and pinched me, hard. Ugh. I was trying so hard to be optimistic about the year.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That looks nasty. Is he in the right place for his disability? Just asking since there are different classes in my school district depending on the extent of the disability.

I hope you have supportive admin and staff.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Ugh
Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím sorry this happened! I worked in the moderate/severe setting for a while and quit pretty soon thereafter because of things like this. Hang in there and try to remind yourself that this job situation is temporary!
NewCAteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

document, document, document. I dont know how your school gets away with not having a mod/severe class. Around here it wouldn't matter if you only had a few kids-those parents would never let them get away with not providing an appropriate placement where there specific needs were not the focus. If you tried putting our non-verbal severe behavior kiddos in the mild/moderate SLD class the parents would sue the districts socks off.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh man, I'm really sorry. Is that under your arm? I hate getting pinched there - it's so sensitive. Sending you my best thoughts for easier days.

pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

And today he scratched me so hard he brought blood because I told him no! I’m not doubting that some of this is sensory issues, overwhelmed, etc. However, some of it is straight up behavior.

Quote:
document, document, document. I dont know how your school gets away with not having a mod/severe class. Around here it wouldn't matter if you only had a few kids-those parents would never let them get away with not providing an appropriate placement where there specific needs were not the focus. If you tried putting our non-verbal severe behavior kiddos in the mild/moderate SLD class the parents would sue the districts socks off.

Yeah, I take pics every time he does this. IDK, either. I think it comes down to money. It’s their go-to excuse they use for basically anything. I’m getting another nonverbal autistic. Adding this kiddo will make 5 severe and profound students in my district.

It’s not fair to them or my pull out kids.
Quote:
Oh man, I'm really sorry. Is that under your arm? I hate getting pinched there - it's so sensitive. Sending you my best thoughts for easier days.
Yes, right there!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I think it comes down to money. Itís their go-to excuse they use for basically anything.
It is illegal to use money to determine placements-placements decisions must be made based on individual needs

Quote:
[34 C.F.R. Secs. 300.115 & 300.39; Cal. Ed. Code Sec. 56361.]
A district cannot use lack of appropriate placements as an excuse for denying students their right to an education in the least restrictive environment. [34 C.F.R. Sec. 300.39; Federal
Policy Letter on LRE, Education for the Handicapped Law Reporter (EHLR) page
211:384, March 21, 1986; CDE, Office of Special Education, Policy Statement on
Least Restrictive Environment (October 10, 1986).]
Yes, I know, I know, I am living in fantasy land if I think that this isnt common. However I want to see your parents get wind of this nonsense and play the litigation card because I can guarantee the district WOULD LOSE.

Also with enough documentation YOU have the right to ask for a meeting to evaluate the appropriateness of the placement.

Quote:
Evaluation and Placement Decisions Must Be Made in Accord With Appropriate Procedures

Failure to provide persons with disabilities with an appropriate education frequently occurs as a result of misclassification and inappropriate placement. It is illegal to base individual placement decisions on presumptions and stereotypes regarding persons with disabilities or on classes of such persons. For example, it would be a violation of the law for a recipient to adopt a policy that every student who is hearing impaired, regardless of the severity of the childís disability, must be placed in a state school for the deaf. This means that its equally illegal to determine that students regardless of the severity of their needs, will be educated in a pull out SLD class

Section 504 requires the use of evaluation and placement procedures that ensure that children are not misclassified, unnecessarily labeled as having a disability, or incorrectly placed, based on inappropriate selection, administration, or interpretation of evaluation materials.

A school district must conduct or arrange for an individual evaluation at no cost to the parents before any action is taken with respect to the initial placement of a child who has a disability, or before any significant change in that placement.

Recipients of ED funds must establish standards and procedures for initial and continuing evaluations and placement decisions regarding persons who, because of a disability, need or are believed to need special education or related services.

These procedures must ensure that tests and other evaluation materials:

have been validated for the specific purpose for which they are used, and are administered by trained personnel in conformance with the instructions provided by their producer;
are tailored to assess specific areas of education need and are not designed merely to provide a single general intelligence quotient; and
are selected and administered so as best to ensure that, when a test is administered to a student with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills, the test results accurately reflect the studentís aptitude or achievement level or whatever other factor the test purports to measure, rather than reflecting the studentís impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills (except where those skills are the factors that the test purports to measure).
Recipients must draw upon a variety of sources in the evaluation and placement process so that the possibility of error is minimized. All significant factors related to the learning process must be considered.

These sources and factors include, for example, aptitude and achievement tests, teacher recommendations, physical condition, social and cultural background, and adaptive behavior. ďAdaptive behavior is the effectiveness with which the individual meets the standards of personal independence and social responsibility expected of his or her age and cultural group.Ē (See Appendix A to 34 CFR Part 104, Evaluation and Placement.)

Information from all sources must be documented and considered by a group of knowledgeable persons, and procedures must ensure that the student is placed with nondisabled students to the greatest extent appropriate.

Periodic reevaluation is required. This may be conducted in accordance with the IDEA regulation, which requires reevaluation at three-year intervals (unless the parent and school district agree reevaluation is unnecessary) or more frequently if conditions warrant, or if the childís parent or teacher requests a reevaluation.

checkerjane

Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow!!!! Thatís really interesting info. I donít think the parents of our kids know this isnít the way itís supposed to be. I think they would definitely care if they knew, they just donít.

Quote:
This means that its equally illegal to determine that students regardless of the severity of their needs, will be educated in a pull out SLD class
Could they loophole this since he has a 1:1 aide?

TAOEP

Make a fuss
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So, isn't drawing blood an occurrence that would involve all the procedures regarding blood-borne pathogens? And your seeing the nurse or perhaps your doctor, students being removed from the classroom, and a thorough disinfection of the room? Oh, and maybe a worker's comp claim?

Yes, I'm making a big deal of it--because the school district needs to take this situation seriously and figure out how to make the classroom safe for both staff and students.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Could they loophole this since he has a 1:1 aide?
IF the one to one aide gave him FAPE-but they cant say that this is his placement, even with accommodate because thats all they give anybody.

Can they add aides and other supports to see if they can make a mild to moderate class fit his needs, provide him with FAPE and LRE-sure they can try.

But if it isn't working and he isnt making progress (including adaptive behavior progress and progress on areas of need that prevent his full equitable access to the general curriculum including speech, OT needs, social development, and in his case progress towards lessening his dependence on aggression and maladaptive behaviors) then it still isnt appropriate. They need to ask-would he be more included and more able to interact with others and participate in class collaboratively with a more access to learning in classroom that is set up for his specific needs and spent more time addressing areas of his disability that arent a part the general curriculum-like social skills, life skills, ect.

For example-MY son goes to a special NPS (non-public school) with teachers who are specifically trained to meet his needs, and a daily schedule that includes social skills and adaptive living skills. He was very segregated in the regular classroom-off on his own with an aide rather than being a fully included participant. Therefore he is less restricted in a room where he can be a part of lessons with everyone else in class-because the class is set up for kids like him rather than him being a room that isnt set up for him and just learning in the corner.

checkerjane

Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
So, isn't drawing blood an occurrence that would involve all the procedures regarding blood-borne pathogens? And your seeing the nurse or perhaps your doctor, students being removed from the classroom, and a thorough disinfection of the room? Oh, and maybe a worker's comp claim?

Yes, I'm making a big deal of it--because the school district needs to take this situation seriously and figure out how to make the classroom safe for both staff and students.
Blood borne pathogen training honestly popped into my head, lol.

Quote:
For example-MY son goes to a special NPS (non-public school) with teachers who are specifically trained to meet his needs, and a daily schedule that includes social skills and adaptive living skills. He was very segregated in the regular classroom-off on his own with an aide rather than being a fully included participant. Therefore he is less restricted in a room where he can be a part of lessons with everyone else in class-because the class is set up for kids like him rather than him being a room that isnt set up for him and just learning in the corner.
This example really drove home your point and the importance of it.