Help

The VENT

Setting Up

>

DiamondGirl

Setting Up
Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've never in my 26 years of teaching have had a principal in this area not allow teachers to come in early to set up their classrooms. As I drive by other schools, I see teachers already in the parking lot carrying stuff to their rooms. Heck, I've already helped two teachers in their classrooms at two different schools because mine is "not ready."

It also helps that I'm FB friends with the head custodian, so I know the building is ready and our furniture is back in our classrooms.

She also does not open the buildings on Saturdays. This would not involve her in any way. the janitor literally walks to school, opens the building for whomever, then leaves. He's been doing this for twenty years. But oh no. She can't have her building open. Why? Most every other school in the county does. And if you have teachers that want to work on a Saturday with no effect to you, then why can't we?

Just venting, because I've always gone in early on my own time and been leisurely about setting up my room. My library takes half a day by itself.

Teachers who've been at the school for 20+ years are upset with her, because it's always been the culture to come in the week before, including that Saturday, to start setting up.

Teachers officially report back Monday, and with all the daily PD from 8-4, I won't actually begin to set up my room until Friday. So I'll have approximately two days to set up my classroom before Open House on Thursday.

DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I had one or two years
Old 08-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

where we were not allowed in the school during the summer. We could only go in during PD or the day before the students arrived and we were assigned meetings in our buildings. It was horrible!
The reason was that the board of education became aware that if any teacher was injured in the school during summer recess their insurance would not cover any injury and they might be sued. Thank goodness they became aware of how it impacted the whole school year that they changed their insurance policy. Well, that and an insurance agent was elected to the board.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

feel for you!
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is stressful. I always go in, on my own time, to set up my classroom. I do it for ME. I am much less stressed knowing that my room is ready and I can concentrate on curriculum and planning.

That really stinks. What is her rationale?
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I' surprised
Old 08-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm surprised the custodian has to unlock the doors for you. I all of the schools I've worked at, teachers have a key and/or a fob to get into the building!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, insurance is big business. I remember my first year teaching, a student didn't get picked up. Everyone was going bonkers. I thought how sweet that they cared. The secretary told me the next day "Do you know we could LOSE everything if they get injured after 5:30? We're not covered after 5:30".

DiamondGirl

Hmmm
Old 08-06-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Noonespecial...she has no rationale...just the building isn't ready, which is a lie

Teacherbee...our school is like a prison....6 ft chain link fencing...only admins and custodians have access to the alarm code...I have a badge and a key but it's useless if the alarm isn't turned off...

AlwaysSummer....if the other schools in the county are allowing their teachers in early, I doubt if her saying no has anything to do with insurance...
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is incredibly frustrating! I'm sorry

My last school was the best- all classrooms opened to the outside so you could go whenever you wanted with your classroom door key. You couldn't access anything else (including copy machine, which was in another building) because all classrooms were standalone and didn't connect to others, but at least you could do your own classrooms. I sent many a late night there getting ready
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One year we worked to the rule--no contract. Didn't come in until the first day of meetings/PD. Walked in at contract time and left at contract time. I didn't feel organized until we settled the contract months later.

We had a wonderful principal who let us come in once our own room was done. Now, the custodian decides. Everyone's room has to be ready. The problem is that I like to come in for a short time a few days. He won't let us in until the last couple of weeks usually. Last year, there was a leak and floor damage so we couldn't come in for several extra days.

They take our swipe cards for the summer so we can't come in unless someone lets us in the building.

I feel your pain!
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-07-2019, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am one who like going in and getting things set up on my own time-to me its better than the stress of a time crunch so I would be totally irate if I couldn't get in before we returned to school.

I kind of like that our building is closed on Saturdays though. Other people hate it and they say they don't get why our school is the only one where we dont get the alarm code. At my last school though it was open on weekends but there because this unspoken expectation that you would come in a work Saturdays regularly. "Good" teachers worked on Saturdays-while if you didnt then you were lazy. I think that's ridiculous.

Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hmm. I see how it would be frustrating, but it sounds like a refreshing change to me. I've usually worked for principals who made it a personal goal to get teachers to do as much as possible on their own time.

I am surprised that you don't have a key (or a card or a fob) to get into your building. I've always had keys to any building I worked in. I've only ever had to turn in my keys for the summer if they were re-keying some doors or when they switched to fobs.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Never
Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In 27 years I have never gone in early. I get done what I can get done in the time they give me. We have 6 contract days before school starts and typically we get about two in our rooms. We’ll see. I didn’t have that schedule yet.

Our school has never been open on weekends. We do have fobs but they work only during certain hours during the week and not on weekends.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

I would be furious also
Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have taught for five years and each year has been a struggle with room set up. My last two years have been extremely frustrating because the previous teacher left a ton of stuff in the room with the intentions of coming and getting it. I lost a lot of prep time waiting on them (neither if them ever came). I never felt prepared for the first day of school when I didn't get to set up ahead of the scheduled prep day. I usually got 1 day to set up the entire room.