Help

The VENT

Facebook jerks --- surprise!

>

Ruby07

Facebook jerks --- surprise!
Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the past couple of years, I've been one of the administrators of a local Facebook page. It's a community page, for our small rural town. People ask for recommendations, ask about school events, and keep each other informed about community events and happenings.

There are these two blowhards who are always causing trouble. The first one is always posting things like, "If any teacher tries to ________ my child, I'll _______". Words in the blanks vary, depending on the topic, but you get the picture. He's against sending in ANY school supplies, but if he does have to send them in, he doesn't want his child's supplies being shared by other children (between the lines, please realize that he means "children of color").

The second guy loves to complain about his taxes. His kids have grown, and they had terrible experiences in school, because of terrible teachers. Teachers are lazy, they make too much money, they get the summers off, etc.

I've had to delete their posts several times, due to their volatile nature. When that happens, I have to message them and tell them what I did and why. And they're always jerks about it.

So yesterday, I got my class list. I have the child of Jerk #1 in my class (his first child!), and the grandchild of Jerk #2.

This is going to be an interesting year.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-04-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lovely.

Bright side? At least you know what you are up against.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my Do you use your real name as a moderator? Hopefully these jerks do not recognize your name!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One good thing about a Facebook jerk making himself/herself known online is that you arenít blindsided by it IRL.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is good that you know what you're getting into...I can imagine getting that class list and not knowing this information.
Should I start blessing your heart now?

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh crap! Well, itís good that you already know their attitudes. Do they know you moderate the FB page?
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Understand
Old 08-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Some guy friended me. Then I read some of his rants. While colorful and entertaining I knew he was a nut job so blocked him.

Then another person writes diatribes that nobody comments on. She is clearly off as well

Then theres those who enjoy the attention anything controversial garners. There is a word for this that escapes me.

One thing that strikes me funny is when someone gets upset saying "how dare you put that on MY wall!" So territorial and ignorant that all belongs to FB
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 08-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I guess you know to document, document, document right from the beginning of the school year.
BTW, never leave your documentation notebook at school or on your school computer.
Keep it in your purse and store majority of information at home.

All that said, there is a good chance the kids will be great.
Jerk 1 and Jerk 2 might even tone it down IRL.
Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

O. M. G. So much to look forward to!

I'm so sorry. I, too, hope they don't know you're the moderator. But as others have said, at least you know what. to expect from them. Grr. So sorry. Hopefully the Child of Jerk #2 (i.e., the parent of your child) is more reasonable.

Looking forward to your updated posts throughout the year. And sending bucketloads of sympathy your way!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Oh, geesh! I feel sorry for you. I would start taking some deep, calming breaths right now! It sounds like you're going to need all the patience you can muster.

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Good advice from everybody! I'll bet they are not as vocal in person as they are online. Hope that your experience will be a good one!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Unfortunately, I do use my real name on that page, and they know I'm a teacher. My name is very unique, and this is a small town, so they know it's me for sure.

But I agree with a lot of you.....I believe they'll be much more timid in person than online. And after 32 years of teaching, I can handle them.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I am in just a few facebook
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

groups and all of them have a set of rules of what one can and can not post. If someone posts something that is against the rules, then it is removed and if it continues the member is no longer allowed to post.
I know that you can handle it, and I know it is good to know who the real people are behind the face to face pleasantries, but spreading this anger towards others just doesn't seem right on a community page.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow. Have fun with that.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You need a battle plan to protect yourself in regards of being a group administrator.

Hopefully there are other moderators for your page, and if so I suggest that you meet with them regarding the two members who are problem members.

Review the rules of the group. You can make the rule that the page is only for announcements and have post require administrator or moderator approval before posting and you can close posts so that no one can reply to posts.

Change them if needed to be very strict about group behaviors.

Post the old or revised rules daily and require members to reply that they will abide by the rules.

Step down officially as a moderator.

The remaining moderators then enforce the rules.

The best policy is no mercy and if any member breaks the civility rules they are removed from the group and reported to Face Book.

You have to separate yourself from this group to protect yourself.

I encourage you to meet with your administrator of your school to document your self removal from the Face Book group, and develop a communication plan on how to work with the two parents for the school year and know that you have your administrators support and are clear about your physical and professional safety.

Our district has a hazy lazy approach to social media and that has harmed more teachers than helped them. Just my opinion, from working in a tiny community.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

In the school district where I live parents and grandparents have taken to the community FaceBook page boo-hoo-ing the loss (retirement) of one of the music teachers. The district has realigned the assignments of the music teachers so that all the music classes can be taught with the remaining teachers. The newest music teacher has to split her time between two schools. This is unacceptable to some parents and grandparents.

It should be pointed out that the schools literally are across the street from each other. You can look out the front door of one and see the other. The ESL teacher goes back and forth between both schools a couple of times a day. However it is unacceptable to have the music teacher going back and forth. All sorts of gloom and doom scenarios have been mentioned; from what if the music teacher forgets something at the other school to what if the music teacher gets hit by a car crossing the road?

The school board has already said no to any further discussion, but some won't let go of it.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Ugh.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Social media is evil.

That's all I can say at this point.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with these nutjobs.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote