Help

The VENT

I am HOT, both literally and figuratively

>

GreyhoundGirl

I am HOT, both literally and figuratively
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just spent over 2 hours in my room and Iím dripping in sweat.

I spent the entire time cleaning out the room. The teacher left crap everywhere; old curriculum, materials, you name it. That nonsense cheeses me off. Every time Iíve left a room Iíve made sure Iíve left it neat and clean.

I took a picture of all the materials I put out it in the hall. This isnít including almost 20 boxes of materials I took to the gym to go downtown.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I feel your pain!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I spent DAYS decluttering crap from my new classroom. I also uncovered brand new materials she had been hoarding over the years. Luckily the lady who runs the after-school daycare program was happy to get the new materials for her program (I made sure it was ok with the P.)

And just when I thought I was done, I discovered a closet that I hadnít seen- under the stairs to the loft! Ugh! There went another day Iíll never get back! The closet goes way back and was stuffed!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

That stinks...
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every time I have moved, I am like you. I make sure the room I am leaving is cleaned out of everything except the school's grade-related materials or things the school's budget bought for that room. When I retired, even though my room was not being used for a grade level that first year, I made sure that it was emptied of the things that needed to go into storage and I checked with the basic skills teacher to make sure she had enough space.

Years ago, when I changed rooms from third to fourth, the teacher I was replacing was out for the year and then was being transferred to another school. The room was a mess. I even found an old purse and panyhose in a closet. She finally came in one afternoon after school with her daughter to sort through her personal things and take them out, but I still had a lot of work to do. It's funny, I hadn't seen her in years but she goes to the same retired teacher lunch group occasionally that I belong to. I don't think she has a clue who I am...

Years ago, she wouldn't have been checked out in my school with a room left like that, but now, no one really looks. So sorry you had to deal with it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

I understand your pain-
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My worst room cleanout story is a room that had been used by three teachers previously, none of whom had cleaned cupboards. They just stuffed more in front of the old. My DH helped, and we took out eight large trashcans of just unusable balls that we flattened first! There were even old ditto machine copies and student files of work. It took us days. We had to be very careful for spiders...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I got my very first job I was assigned a classroom that belonged to a teacher that retired and there were textbooks in there from the 70ís. Needless to say, clean out was long and arduous. I donít know why I expected this to be better.

Plus, the room and is small and icky so Iím not happy.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel your pain. This is the second year I've had to clean out and reorganize a classroom to free it from someone else's junk. In 2017-18, I took over a classroom in November, so everything just sat until I could get to it in June. It took days to clean it out. Among other things, I found a box with 96 (!) copies of a book about bats that was left over from a wrapping paper fundraising sale and lots of confidential student records mixed up with papers. In 2018-19, I went into another classroom at another school that hadn't been tended to, so again I left it until June, when I spent another couple of days throwing junk out. This year's collection included a worn-out basketball that was stuffed in a filing cabinet, craft projects that were left over from the previous year but never sent home, 35 copies of a Shakespeare play and 50-plus copies of an old writing textbook. It's a pain that we have to do that kind of cleaning.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My worst classroom clean out required DH to come with his truck, besides all the stuff that needed to be moved around and organized we took 2 loads to the dump.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yikes! I know Iíve been there done that but thatís unfortunate. New school and new year motor a tough year anyway with a lot of work. Add in extra work cleaning things out and itís stressful.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Classroom
Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I retired in June, I did not leave 1 thing in my room. I threw out a ton of stuff, gave away a ton, and left the room in pristine condition. So now my basement is full of our daughter's horse riding stuff and I am talking about a ton of saddle pads, blankets and tack, school stuff I want to sell, and all our daughter's art stuff from university. Come to find out my room is going to remain empty as the school lost a teacher. Oh well, still did the right thing. I am going to say though, I was pretty disappointed in the seasoned teacher coming in to replace me in another room. She just expected me to give her everything in my room that I had purchased. Hence the mess in the basement. Very entitled.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

My Admin Checks
Old 08-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If someone is leaving a room, for whatever reason, my admin checks the room at the end of the year to make sure it is cleaned out.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

It's not fun.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've done it a few times myself. I have also moved into a completely empty room. Not so much as a stray paper clip in it. That was weird, but good.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith1170

I feel your pain
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just finished cleaning out a third classroom in the past six years. All were filthy, and jammed with crap and junk. This time it took me days just to clean the old stuff out. 🙄
I also have left every classroom cleaned out and neat as a pin for the next teacher.
Faith1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I remember coming into my classroom and spending months clearing out the junk previous teachers had left. Some materials were three decades old. It felt disrespectful that the previous teacher left her trash and boxes of materials that had no value.

When I left, I tossed everything that was no longer directly in the curriculum. I tossed old paint, glue, paintbrushes, etc. If it wasn't in almost new condition it was gone. I lined every drawer and cupboard with new paper or clean poster board. Very few things were in my classroom when I left and it was sparkling. I remembered what it was coming into a room filled with junk. No one should have to do that.

I wasn't a perfect teacher but I left my room perfectly clean. New teachers deserve that.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Classroom
Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Always leave things as good as or better than you found it.

When I moved back to junior high last year, I left nothing of my own and I organized the little that was left in the book shelves. I was the first teacher to that grade level in our bilingual strand, so most of the stuff I had bought myself. All that was left was our reading texts and extra math workbooks.

When I moved to that position I took over the classroom of a gen ed strand teacher who retired. I spent a week and a half cleaning thirty years of garbage out of that room. The janitor (who is awesome) gave me two giant lunchroom garbage cans...and switched them out with empty every hour or so the whole time. It was ridiculous.

I try to keep my things to a minimum for this reason. Itís so frustrating and Iím sorry you have to clean up someone elseís mess!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

PoohBear for the win!
Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
My worst classroom clean out required DH to come with his truck, besides all the stuff that needed to be moved around and organized we took 2 loads to the dump.
I know itís really not a competition, but wow, 2 truck loads! Impressive.

I, too, left my rooms neat and organized, and free of files and old curriculums.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I feel like this every year when I go in to clean up the mess made the year before by the previous teacher. Oh, wait, I was the previous teacher! Still makes me angry at myself how much stuff I can accumulate in a year.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

So sorry you had to start out a new year in a new achool cleaning up after someone else. On the bright side, you have got a clean room for a new beginning. Hope you have a good year
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Ugh, I'm so sorry!

One of my classrooms was taking over for someone who took a year off. No one was sure if she'd come back or not, so I wasn't sure whether she'd come get her stuff. I ended up having an entire cabinet (HUGE cabinet) and one 4-drawer file cabinet FILLED with her crap. That severely limited what I could store. Some of what she had was really nice, original framed family photos from her classes for the last several years. She does this project where she has them bring in nice family photos... but then apparently never returns them!

But that was still better than the year I inherited the cabinet full of roaches. I opened the cabinet under the sink to put some Kleenex and almost fainted. There were roaches upon roaches upon roaches. Like a horror movie. Not a single bit of cabinet space to be seen. They were moving. If you've ever seen the Indiana Jones movie where he gets thrown into a pit and the floor is moving and it's snakes, that's what this cabinet looked like. That was horrific.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I hate teachers who hoard materials and old curriculums. I can walk into any classroom and know immediately if I would love to be switched into that room or not. I think it’s great some of you have admin that actually check the rooms the last day of school. I got moved to a new room this upcoming school year that is a disaster. I feel your pain GG and will be doing the same in two more weeks.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Golden rule
Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am envious. Wish i could have helped you. Love cleaning love vintage stuff. Wish i had my own classroom this Fall.

I hope the rest of your year goes great. You can only go uphill after that mess.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Such a waste
Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Sorry. Some love junky piles and piles.

I do not.

I wish you a great year. You can only soar upwards from here.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
When I got my very first job I was assigned a classroom that belonged to a teacher that retired and there were textbooks in there from the 70ís.
The year I graduated I got a job as a summer custodian. I helped clean out the classroom of a retired teacher who just left everything "for the new teacher."

We sorted things into three piles; trash, save, return to teacher - not sure if she ever came to get these things. We took the trash out to the dumpster with wheelbarrows.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

I left my room empty...
Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

...when I retired this past June. I did not want to leave a mess for anyone else to worry about, so I started in February sorting teaching materials, furniture, papers, projects etc. into three categories - things for me to keep, things to give away to people who wanted them, and things to throw out. People wanted a lot of my stuff (made me feel good!), and I threw a ton of old stuff out, and brought too much stuff home (have to sort it again sometime soon, I hope!) I finished it all by the beginning of May. I kept only what I needed for the last weeks of school, and got rid of that by the last day. Over forty years of teaching materials gone. Lots of good memories...
TchrFvr is online now   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am in the same situation! Left tons of junk and trash but took a ton of supplies that actually belonged to classroom/school supplies & curriuculum materials that were all purchased via school money).
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Old 08-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Why on earth does this happen? Over and over again to so many of us?
Any good admin could come by the room to check it out before a teacher leaves to ascertain that the cupboards are cleaned out and only relevant, current teaching materials are left - not 30 years of outdated garbage!

My tale of woe involves taking over a classroom where the previous teacher had been for 36 years. At the point that she left, she honestly was not physically capable of climbing a ladder, lifting heavy objects, etc. But it certainly hadn't been that way every year in the past.

It seems like she never removed a thing. There were Teacher's editions of textbooks from over 25 years ago. I wore a surgical mask when cleaning out because the dust was so thick. I found out what cockroach poo looks like!

The principal came in while my daughter and I were working, and he spoke of having sympathy for the elderly, somewhat infirm teacher who had left. I bit my tongue, and said nothing, because all of my thoughts at the time were quite uncharitable!
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote