The VENT

Follow up on Embarrassed, angry, hurt

>

QueenBee2011

Follow up on Embarrassed, angry, hurt
Old 08-11-2019, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
I received an email from my P saying she wants to have a meeting with me and my partner teacher. Just a refresher, my partner told admin that she was worried that I was having trouble with my memory.
So, one of the things my P wants is for each of us to be prepared to tell her what we need from her. Any suggestions?

QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would tell the P you need for her not to listen to what your partner has to say about you. I would be pretty harsh with your teaching partner. I would let your teaching partner know that she has lost your trust and will have a hard time regaining that trust. I would tell your teaching partner that in any future emails that she sent that she needed a response to, she would ask for a response. You would then know that a response is expected. I'm sure there is more, but that is my immediate response. Good luck, please keep us posted.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Also, do some research on educational
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

codes and your district's policies, to see whether your partner violated any of them in going behind your back. I would go in prepared to hold my ground. Do you have copies of what she wrote to the principal? If you do, go in with a prepared rebuttal of anything and everything she said. If possible, find emails of your own that she failed to answer. Demand "Time, place, form, and event" for every one of her allegations. Attack, don't defend.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Meeting
Old 08-12-2019, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iíd also include a union rep at the meeting to take notes. Iím donít remember if you are in a union or not. But an impartial NoteTaker is important.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What everyone else said. This is not the time to be nice or worry about feelings because admin could use any of this later in a Fit to Teach case and try to put you on leave. If you donít have a union rep do you have someone you trust that could go on and take notes?

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great advice from everyone! Remember to remove all emotion from the discussion. I'd write a short speech down and read from that. Don't get worked up in that meeting.Bringing notes and a witness sets a tone of you will not put up with this type of treatment from your peers or admin.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you're in a non-union state like me, I'm sure you have a "teachers' organization." I would go in with a rep.
I echo what a PP said...ask for date, time, etc. of the occurence of each concern. I would research/question the possible breach of confidentiality regarding your partner going to your principal.
Do not defend a damn thing. Attack.

Good luck, Queen!
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wouldn't go back in time asking for specifics. I'd approach the meeting as if you are there to express your concern that your peer is not being professional and has spread gossip. I'd also be very explicit on requesting that the admin not allow this gossip about any teacher.The principal should have rejected such chat from the get go.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Meeting
Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tctrojan and Anna have given you very good advice. Try very hard not to get sucked into an emotionally based conversation.

My therapist once told me ďin a situation where you need to stand your ground, think of your feet and legs as tree roots. Dig in and stay there.Ē

Good luck and keep,us posted.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Meeting...
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Is the purpose of this meeting to re-visit your co-worker's concerns or is just a general "touch base, beginning of school meeting? Does this principal have these meetings with every grade level or just you two? I think I would ask her to do all she could to ensure honest communication between faculty members. Your partner teacher was way out of line with her "concerns" last year, but the principal bought into it by legitimizing them instead of making your partner have a conversation with you, which made things worse. I would be very careful here though in what you say and react to and be very aware of the power and dynamics between the principal and that teacher. If you feel union representation is necessary, definitely take advantage of that, but it could backfire if the principal feels threatened. Reach out to your rep and see what they think. Good luck. No one needs anxiety and stress like this before the start of school.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sounds like this younger teacher doesn't want to work with an older teacher. Sounds like she might be using this as a way to get rid of you/make you retire.
Watch your back with this person. Keep everything on a professional level with this teacher and administration ( and probably other teachers that she might try to get information from )and don't say anything of a personal nature ( or mention a weakness that you feel like you might have )that she might use against you
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Are you sure that your principal is calling this meeting to discuss the accusations? I'd go in prepared to discuss what you need from your principal for your classroom this year. Let them do the talking before you say anything. You said your partner and the principal are good friends....so just go in with your head high and don't let them wear you down. If your partner teacher makes vague accusations, ask for specifics. Good luck and as others have said, you don't need this kind of nonsense before the year even begins! Thinking of you and sending hugs.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Ask your P to only entertain complaints, issues or "concerns" from one teacher about the other when all teachers are present so you can work together.

Be sure to have a list of things you've appreciated about your P. It's tough to hear only the negative.

Listen first and then tread carefully. Be positive and professional. Remember your partner and the P are friends.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

If i were
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Tenured i would ask for very little. Let the b#### sink her own boat.

The proof is on the pudding. In so so many cases the less said the better.

I did not read your responses, but know we at PT have your back.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

If tenured
Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I would forget about the meeting!!!
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If you met already, how did it go? If not, part of me would be very prepared based on your previous experience but the other part of me would think perhaps itís a back to school meeting so listen and let her know what you need from her which is to not listen to your partner, lol and watch you in action for the true facts!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Healthyandfun

Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You have been in my thoughts. I donít have much to add, but I like the idea of saying as little as possible. Let the P and your partner teacher blab. If they spring anything on you, maybe say something like you need some time to consider it from all angles. Good luck.

Please let us know how things go.
Healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote