Help

Writing & Language Arts

So how do you teach reading & writing

>

Crazydaz

So how do you teach reading & writing
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a brand new teacher at a small school with no resources or reading/writing program. They have chapter books and not sure what to do with it. I know there are tons of books out there and I hope this isn't a silly question, but how do you teach it? Where do you get prompts from? What works and doesn't work? I know there are books that give you structure, but where do you start? Many people say do a mini lesson and then centers, but what kind of minilesson? I'm feeling lost as a new teacher since I wad expecting textbooks bit not having them I feel like I'm falling apart and need lesson ideas. I teach a 4th and 5th grade combo and ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Reading
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I would find books a little above their reading level that you think they will enjoy hearing. This way you only need one book. Then read aloud to them each day and discuss what you have read each day. I would choose a variety of genres so they learn about different kinds of books. I would start this time of year with a fantasy titled The Monster's Ring. It is a great Halloween read. You can discuss what makes a fantasy a fantasy. This book also has a lesson to learn about bullying, so this will make for good discussion and you can also talk about author's purpose. Perhaps the author, Bruce Coville, meant for this book to do more than entertain.

Look at this link for ideas about reading strategies. In my opinion it is a good resource.

http://reading.ecb.org/

Do shared reading during math, science and social studies. Discuss the text features of non-fiction text. (table of contents, index, glossary, fact box, bold print, timelines, graphs, tables, captions.......) Choral read with the entire class. Echo read. You read first and set the pace. Then the class rereads what you just read. Call on volunteer readers. Discuss what you have learned from the reading by retelling or summarizing.

Give students copies of poems to practice for a week to build fluency. Have them read the poem several times each day. Then finally listen to them read their poem aloud and use the attached rubric for assessment. Students who read fluently have better comprehension. My favorite poets are Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky. I also like the following two websites.

http://www.poetry4kids.com/

http://www.gigglepoetry.com/

Finally use your novels in small groups for guided reading. By reading and discussing what you read in small groups students are more likely to pay attention, contribute and ask questions. Meet with each group 15 to 20 minutes. Try to keep each group to 5 or 6 students if possible. During these lessons model how to make connections, visualize, summarize.......These are the strategies you want them to use while reading independently.

Give students time for silent reading each day so they get to practice their new comprehension strategies.

This just scratches the surface, but hopefully it is enough to get you started. The best gift you can give them is to share your joy of books with them. If you can get them to love reading everything else will follow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 185 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Reading Mini Lessons
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These lessons are short in length and very focused. I often start with a picture book to introduce the concept. I teach things like

make connections while reading- self to text. text to text and text to world

introduce each genre and discuss the characteristics to that genre

Story structure- setting, character, plot, conflict, resolution

Point of view

author's purpose

prediction

cause and effect

sequencing

visualizing

theme

Crazydaz

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you recommend giving the groups during guided reading questions to answer/discuss? Would it be recommended to read as a class or do shared reading before sending them off on their own?

Also, testing for fluency seems like a wise idea but would this be something I'd meet with kids throughout the week and test them using the rubric? Is it timed? Thank you for your help

Crazydaz

Question
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Would you concentrate on a topic a week?

1956BD

Reading
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At the beginning of the year I model how I want questions answered. Model, model and model! I teach them how to look back in the text and find the answers when possible. I also teach them how to restate part of the question and answer in a complete question.

If they have to draw a conclusion or make an inference I teach them how to back up their answer with incidents from the story.

Then I slowly release the responsibility to them for answering the questions.

We may discuss the questions but I do not give them their copy of the paper until they leave group. Then they can work together to answer while I move on with the next group.

Then finally they have to answer all by themselves.

When I have guided reading groups we choral read, everyone reads, the girls read, the boys read, I read to them or I have volunteers read. I think this is different than what most teachers do, but I still like to hear them read aloud.

Sometimes with my high group they read on their own or in pairs and then we get together and discuss the chapter. However, if it is funny I like for use to read it aloud and enjoy it together.

Often I do not give them questions.I might only give questions one day a week. I want them to enjoy the process of reading.

Although we are constantly working on fluency and what it should sound like, I do not grade it except for twice each nine weeks. (our grading period) I do not do timed readings for a grade, but only as an assessment beginning, middle and end of year. I just use the rubric. If they do not do well we conference about their reading and their grade, plus what I circled on the rubric. I want them to understand what I am looking for.

Many times they perform their practiced reading in front of the whole class while I grade. This is a good listening activity. That is why I think humorous poems work well. They are short and fun to listen to. Sometime I listen to them one on one for grading purposes. I usually do this in computer lab so all the other students are occupied and have earphones on playing math games, Spelling City or Brain Pop jr.

I hope I said something helpful.

Remember, there are many correct ways to teach. No one has all the perfect answers. Keep reading, learning and growing as a teacher. Do what works for you. Sometimes what works for one class does not work for the next. Sometimes you get bored do things the same old way and you need a change. The students often like a routine, but also like a change once in a while.

Listen to books on tape.

Read outside or somewhere else in the school.

Read comics, cartoons, riddles, the newspaper, magazines....

Most of all have fun reading so they will become readers for life!!!

I do often focus on one area a week. However, I start with genres first and we work our way through different kinds of stories.

Most of the time my groups are high, medium and low. But every once i a while I group by interest, learning style or sex. A couple of times a of the year the girls read one book and the boys read another.

Good luck!

TheTrunch

Common Core
Old 10-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Look at the Language Arts Common Core standards. Pick one and then read your students' book and think about a mini lesson to teach the students that standard (using the book as your materials).
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

gcanders1

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Like the above answers: model! I have great success in modeling an entire essay and then taking out bits and parts for the students to fill in. I try to chunk everything I can into small parts and have the students put it together.
gcanders1 is offline   Reply With Quote

PuppyLuf

I had this problem
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I started teaching 5th grade after teaching foreign language for 15 years. I had a mentor teacher to help me. I also talked to the curriculum people for the district and asked for someone to help me out and for time to go observe other teachers.

I have seen this book in the teacher store and it is extremely complete and seems consistent with the Common Core standards. This is the 5th grade one, but they have them for every grade.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Year-...urriculum+year
PuppyLuf is offline   Reply With Quote