Help

Teacher Authors & Bloggers

I took the plunge

>

yesteach

I took the plunge
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and I've posted my first for purchase item. I'd appreciate any feedback you experienced folks have on how it looks - both the description information and the actual product.

thanks

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/P...tripes-1158586

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on your first paid item!

My first step was to search for other word wall label products and looked at the first few in the list because that's what I always do when I create a new product. To be honest, your price seems higher than the competition (and there are a lot of these labels); some have double the pages of your product for half the price. There are several freebies, which is always too bad.

One of the comments on a freebie mentioned missing a title (which you have--good! ) but also offering a different color for the vowels. Many of the others seem to offer multiple colors within the packet, either for the borders or the letters and that seems to elicit positive comments/ratings. I don't know if you want to consider that. One also includes numbers 1-10, which she said could be used for leveled book bins, and mentioned that the letters could also be used for an alphabet line. You might consider mentioning any other uses in your description. Perhaps even create some add-ins to make your product a mega-value bundle--from buyers' comments it seems like the fact that the product matches their room color scheme influences their purchase, so if you threw in a few other organizational signs that might not take you long to create, it might attract buyers. I think it's a definite plus for that reason that you offer to create a set in a different color stripe. You mention contacting you but do not provide an email, which some sellers do--or you could simply say leave me a note in the Product Q & A section. You will get an email notice. You might even work that option into your title, such as Word Wall Labels (Blue Stripes--will create other colors!). Perhaps something to make your product stand out from the others.

BUT wait and see if your sales are what you are happy with before you consider putting more work into this. The Forum is filled with posts that caution beginners to create, create, create products to reach the sales level they want.

You might read through all of the products and comments yourself if you haven't already

Two more small things. You have designated it for K-12th grade. Most are K-3 or K-6. TpT encourages sellers to make grade-level appropriate designations. And capitalize Thanks for looking

That's my two cents--BUT I am not elementary so may be off the mark. Hope you get more feedback. In my opinion, navy stripes are always appealing

P.S. ONE more thing--change the title of your great freebie from St. Patrick's to GREEN, then back to St. P next February. The dots and argyle are terrific background papers that can be used all year.
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Thanks so much!!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really appreciate your input. I put K-12 because even our high school teachers are required to have word walls in their classrooms, so I guess I was just thinking that might be the case everywhere.

As for the price, I worried about making it higher, but since it had the labels and the banner, I raised it a little. I might should lower it... I am making other things to go with, like classroom bundles (Binder covers, book bin labels, table signs, calendar headers/numbers, etc.) I just don't have them up yet. My thinking was offer them individually for a price, and then bundle them and offer for a lower price than the individual ones. I keep going through looking at "colors" in classrooms online. I'm working on a pink/green combination right now. I'm starting a blue/green next. And I have a set of papers I created myself from a picture of a living room I saw online last week and loved the colors - shades of green, purple and pink. I really like doing the "decor" sets, but I like just using colors as opposed to themes so they fit in anywhere.

I keep telling myself not to expect sales of this sort of merchandise right now, as most are finishing up the year, and that's the sort of thing you look for at the beginning of the year...

Thank you so much for the suggestion about the paper title, I will go do that right now! I love the argyle, and was so excited when I figured out how to make it, I have it in a zillion colors now.. . Maybe I should do an argyle pack of papers... hmmm...

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it.

daffodils

Tpt
Old 03-27-2014, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One thing I did when starting out was price a few things a bit lower than I thought it should be--not so low that it's ridiculous, but a bit lower. Then once they started selling well, I increased the price a bit. They kept selling, so obviously it worked!

Also, offering a freebie in the same type of product works well. For example, I do a lot of social studies products. So I have one free bingo game for a unit and then my other bingo games for other units are paid. You could do a smaller set of cards--for example, just a few labels for things around the classroom--for free, so that people will start reviewing.

One thing I saw on some stores, though I haven't done it yet, is to offer a product of equal or lesser value free with the first rating and review on a paid item. The buyer posts a review, you then comment with your email address and ask them to email you what product they want for free. You need more products of course to make that offer.

I was really really slow the first several months of selling and then it slowly picked up and just keeps getting better.

Definitely search the site to find what is already out there. I found a niche where there aren't many products, so I have good luck with what I sell.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm currently working on more papers, and classroom decor using the papers I make. I'm hoping to get a bunch of things ready to upload in the next few weeks.. since most of what I have is more "back to school" type stuff.. I'm thinking if I can get it up in the next month, it will be there as schools start getting out and teachers start thinking about new stuff for next year.

GrumpyTeacher

Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I looked at your store and it looks nice so far! I agree with the pricing advice from above. I always do my research before pricing any product to make sure it's a reasonable and competitive price. I typically price my new products $1 lower than other similar products. Once they start selling and getting positive ratings/feedback, then I increase the price.

I downloaded your freebie and left a rating. Thanks so much! I'm always looking for pretty digital paper!
GrumpyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyotodeb

Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm your newest follower! I agree with the post that said to change it from St. Patrick's to green! You don't have to limit yourself! I sometimes put my TPT holiday things on sale after the holiday, then as it gets closer to that holiday I will put a price back on. Are you also selling on Teacher's Notebook and Teacher's Marketplace? You can have free accounts on both of those if you don't want to invest in being a premium seller. I always list my products on all three. I sell the most on TPT, but I have sold on both of the other stores as well.
Wishing you great selling success
Debbie

http://www.deborahpagekemp.com
Kyotodeb is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Thank you
Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm about to put up my first classroom set in a few weeks.. trying to get through the next two weeks with presentations and field trips.. and then I'm basically done for the year!

I've not tried the other two, I also had a friend suggest I sell my invitations on Etsy.