Canadian Teachers

New to Teaching Grade 7/8 in Ontario

>

SERT

New to Teaching Grade 7/8 in Ontario
Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone!
I have recently accepted a teaching position in a Grade 7/8 classroom beginning this September (2014). I am so excited, but also feeling like I'm not sure where to begin. Any suggestions/sharing of resource ideas/units/hints/tips/long range plans, etc would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

SERT is offline   Reply With Quote

sos1

congrats
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations - that's no mean feat to get hired in an Ontario school these days!

A broader suggestion - most public boards in Ontario now have instructional coaches in each school. This would be a great person to contact in August and do some planning with, and s/he could continue to support you into the year. This person can also link you up with other teachers. (Ask your principal - s/he would know who it is and how to contact them.)

You will be participating in NTIP (assuming you're in a public/separate school board) and I remember that my mentor teacher was a great help with setting up class management as well as 'first month' plans - although you won't meet that person until September, it would be a huge help to have a mentor going into September and I suggest you ask your principal for someone in your school. Even if it's not a 7/8 teacher, someone who knows the school philosophy, students and parents and is familiar with the school growth plan will be most helpful in how you approach your plans (although if you can co-plan with a colleague, that would be the best... you can share each other's lessons and support each other). Thinking back to my first year in Grade 7/8, my best help (OK, let's be real - what let me get through the year ) was co-planning with the other teacher in my building for the subjects we overlapped on.

And finally, even if you can't co-plan, see if you can get someone's unit notes such as their Smart Notes slides. (I have a set of my own for science & math but if you aren't familiar with Smarter Science, they might not be clear.)

Keep posting and let us know how it goes. All the best!
Cassie
sos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SERT

Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much! You have given some great advice. Would it be possible for you to send me your unit notes for math?
SERT is offline   Reply With Quote