Help

Canadian Teachers

Traveling Book

>

ChanginLives

Traveling Book
Old 10-25-2014, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am still trying to find schools that would be willing to participate in a Traveling Book Project.
My students are 12/13 years old; I'm willing to send our books to a classroom with students who are anywhere from 10-15 years old.

What is a Traveling Book Project?

It is a project where the students from one of my classes will bring a book to school, read through and interact with the text by commenting, highlighting, drawing, adding stickers, whatever they can think of as it relates to the text.

At the end of the book they will sign their name and state and then write a letter articulating why they chose this particular book along with an explanation of what they've added.

After about three weeks I am looking for a classroom to send these books to. The students in that classroom would select from the books my students enclosed, read the book they've selected and interact with the text in the same way. They will then write a letter about their thoughts on the book along with what they've added.

That classroom teacher will then send the books to another classroom.

My students are to get the books back around June creating a neat keepsake that connects them with students throughout the country through literature.

The point is to get my students reading and the thought of writing in a book along with sharing a book with other students is enough to get them interested. The interaction with the text helps create good readers and then the letter becomes a writing component that can count as a writing grade.

If you are concerned about class sizes, I'm looking to include enough books that your students should have plenty to choose from. I'd rather a classroom end up with too many books versus not enough. Books left over can either be distributed to students willing to do two, extended to students in another class, or just left out that round...

If anyone is interested, please message me and let me know so we can set something up. I would be extremely grateful and truly believe this will encourage students to read, even the reluctant ones. So let's work together to get our children reading!

Thanks!

ChanginLives is offline   Reply With Quote