Help

Teacher Authors & Bloggers

If you are going to blog (Vent)

>

trishg1

If you are going to blog (Vent)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

you should really try to understand how your platform works.

I made a blog post yesterday that used a bit of irony to make the point. I discovered the Google+ share feature, and made another ironic comment as the promotional teaser. Granted, my topic is intense. But the irony is pretty obvious, and even more obvious if you actually read the post.

Someone in my circle on Google+ got offended and ripped me up one side and down the other. I've read her blog. She is raw in her pain, and judging by her poor spelling, grammar, and mechanics, I'd guess a little on the low side educationally. She interpreted my promotional comments to be a direct message to her.

Poor thing, I think I calmed her down, but I don't know that she will ever understand what a public message means. Sigh. If this were other topics, it has the potential to be funny.

Last edited by trishg1; 01-19-2015 at 03:08 AM..
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Personally
Old 01-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think for sensitive subjects I would use Tumblr. Easier to promote your subject without getting IRL friends involved. No one cares about the prophet in their own backyard.

I remember you commenting on a poor response to your blog. I thought that was pretty good connsidering it is a sensitive subject blog. You are also competting against Tumblr (which is really a blog platform), and people who are using Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to promote their online presence.

About crud the grammar etc... some of the most followed blogs would not pass a high school English course. Minimum you should run your copy through spell check, but in the web land the other stuff is not held to such a standard, unless you are known as a professional writer.

I get to worry about SEOs (search engine optimization...thanks Google), since two clients use Google Ads to generate revenue. Two are web based blogs and buried pretty deep during a Google search. I started a Twitter, Tumblr and a Bitly account until we could do an overhaul of the blogs. It has managed to pull them up in the rankings.

Irony as a promotional teaser only works for comics like Lewis Black or if you are a really established blogger, and the vast majority of your readers know you use that in your blog.
My friend's daughter has a blog about her cutting. She had a post with the title (paraphrasing), the day suck and this knife is dull. Everyone on Tumblr and her website knows this is her style, but she will still get people in a foam about her "making jokes about cutting."
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
but she will still get people in a foam about her "making jokes about cutting."
From people who are not cutters, no doubt.

This wasn't really an instance of not understanding irony. This was an instance of another blogger in our little circle, on I do not know beyond Google+, thinking I was sending her a personal message. My title was "I'm sorry, but the pain you are in makes me uncomfortable. Can you please, just stop talking about it?" And the teaser said "Hearing about abuse is often as difficult as talking about it." Not really irony, but in the vaguenss of OP, that word worked best.

And I was being kind when I told you about how her blog was written. There are obviously a great deal of issues at play in this woman's life. The biggest is that she is still a victim, and I think that in itself led to her misunderstanding.

But truly, if she understood how the platform works, she wouldn't have seen my post as a personal message.

I'm going to look into some things you mentioned. I am on twitter and have developed a following. I don't know that I am all that concerned with my limited platform now. I've already been asked to guest blog and have made many connections.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote