Help

Canadian Teachers

Getting a job

>

busyday86

Getting a job
Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so disheartened by job prospects for teachers. I had taken time to raise a family, then subbed for 16 years (doing term positions as well) and now want to get back into my own classroom. I started a home tutoring business which is flourishing and I love it. I am keeping up with new procedures and technology. My references are impeccable. What is it? I am told the divisions are only hiring internally now or you have to have an 'in' by knowing someone. I sub in a small, private school and a core city school division. I am 58, still love teaching with a passion and it is really hard to face. Am I doomed to live the life of a sub and tour?

busyday86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Humon

yes
Old 02-21-2015, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year the Ontario government mandated that boards must hire based on seniority from the sub list. So if you live in Ontario AND have been subbing at the same board for 16 years, I would recommend talking to your union rep.

If you don't live in Ontario, know that you're competing with teachers who have been teaching in Northern Canada for 10 years who want a job in the city. Experience is 90% of what hiring managers care about which puts you at the bottom of the hiring lists.

I wish I could give you better news, but that's how it is
Humon is offline   Reply With Quote