Help

Teacher Authors & Bloggers

Suggestions Please

>

peachboone

Suggestions Please
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I am recently retired after twenty five years of teaching and still loved teaching when I retired. I will always be a "teacher" in anything I do. I have become an author of children's books. Here is my questions. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can "drive traffic" to my author's website. I posted in the "advertisement" thread here. The books I have written are great for classroom libraries, read alouds, and independent reading. Help please. All ideas appreciated. Thank you.

peachboone is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

You have to work at it almost constantly...
Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My situation is a little bit different... I've written a book about my experiences with kids (Small People -- Big Brains), self-published through CreateSpace and available on Amazon. (That's not meant as self-promotion--just a difference in that I don't focus on driving people to my site because they can find the book on Amazon.)

My website is actually more of a blog... and I find posting regularly will bring folks to the site--particularly if I share the post on Facebook and/or other social media. They see the beginning of the post and, if it captures their interest, visit the blog/site.

You'll perhaps want to develop reasons to visit the site other than to buy your books. For example, could you build some suggestions for read alouds... when folks come to hear those suggestions they also get enticed to consider your books?

Promote the site everywhere--even in the books if possible. But I would also point out that your site should only be one component of your promotional program... you're really promoting the book and your site is only one tool of many.

You might look for some sites/forums for authors who self-publish. Create Space has a very active forum with lots of Q&A regarding marketing.

I've found that marketing has to be constant--or at least consistent. I've also found that my site isn't my best tool. I buy a fair number of books myself... and I find that I most often get interested in the book, they look for the title on Amazon. I don't think I'm a rarity. So I'd suggest you move up a level and consider different ways of marketing the book, then consider how the website fits.

One author friend offers schools a "free program." (Most of his books are specifically nature-based, so his program can fit curriculum.) He donates one set of his books to the library of every school that takes him up on the offer. Many school libraries have "met the author" programs...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

peachboone

Thank you
Old 08-22-2015, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I appreciate your input and suggestions and I will try all of them. My books are through self publishing....Amazon. I love the suggestions of giving a taste of the blog to be continued on website if interested. You have been a great help!

MaineSub

You're welcome!
Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure how/if this would work... but I've also developed content for my book (and future books) on my blog... that also helps with the "if you enjoyed this, you'll love the book" approach. You might also find that traffic flows in the opposite direction, so don't forget to link from your author's site to your blog (assuming they are different).

One of the lessons I learned a long time ago... you don't really make much by writing and publishing something once. I'm not sure how that would work with books for kids... but many of my blog posts became fodder for my book... parts of my book became blog posts... and I use all of the above when I'm teaching adult classes... Freelancers learn this craft quickly. If you write an article for a magazine, you look for ways to change it enough to submit it to another, perhaps different audience.

"In my book [title] Sally learns... and we could apply that to our adult lives..." Remembering that (depending on age, obviously,) kids probably aren't going to buy your book. I learn a lesson that I want my kid to learn... so I buy the book for him/her.

Another friend has written a book that definitely has regional appeal... she's already working on a follow-up and is actually giving some hints on her blog. (The characters and locations are going to be consistent throughout the series.) People visit her blog to see what she's thinking and what is going on with the characters they know... that also could work if you are using the same characters in your books.

peachboone

Made My Day!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for sharing with me. I appreciate your sharing with me and plan to make use of all that you have shared. I'm encouraged!

daffodils

books
Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My mom has self-published children's books that are fictional but placed on real historical places in the US. When I was teaching, she would come to my school to talk about the writing process (particularly with a focus on how "real" authors revise and edit, too!!). Kids had a chance to buy her books after and she donated a set to the school library. She also would donate a book to the gift shops at the historic sites her books were about (for example, Gettysburg National Battleground) and often they would then order more to stock in their gift shop. She also asked friends or family who read the books to post a review on Amazon--people are more likely to buy a book that's been reviewed.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Feel free...
Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Again, you are welcome... since I don't always think to check this forum, please feel free to message me if I can help!