Canadian Post-a-thon

>

Suezie

Canadian Post-a-thon
Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Canadian Post-a-thon!

Hi Canadian teachers!

Tell us: What is something you teach. related specifically to our country, that you particularly look forward to and why?

Last edited by Suezie; 09-17-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Suezie is online now   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Terry Fox
Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With every September, we participate in Terry Fox Run. It is a great way to kickstart the year. In the past, we have had the run in the morning and a sport's day in the afternoon. It was a lot of fun! After going to early dismissals on Fridays, we have moved our sports day back to June.

For the past 3 years, we have left the school yard and ran next to a fabulous provincial park which is only a couple of blocks from our school. We have been blessed with good weather and I'm very excited about this year's run.

Since I teach French to the little ones, my students like to watch the following video thru-out the year... https://safeshare.tv/x/oovKisidcJ
Suezie is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 09-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've taught so many different grades and subjects that I've never gotten to have something I "teach every year!"

That said, I also enjoy teaching about Terry Fox and will absolutely use that video with my kindergarten immersion class - thanks!

Teaching about Remembrance Day is another topic I enjoy covering each year. It's a topic close to my heart and I have a lot of great read alouds. The last few years I did A Bear in War and Road to Afghanistan with grade five, this year with K it will be Un Coquelicot pour se Souvenir.

In terms of curriculum I really like the units on First Nations pre and post contact in our grade five curriculum.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 09-17-2016, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach a whole thematic unit on Canada for my Kindergarten class. I give them information about a variety of topics and they write what they can. They like learning about the beaver the most and I always get a lot of really interesting writing.

One year, when Mr Harper was still the PM, I gave a lesson about the job of the PM. One girl wrote: HWLMJBWFOHELS JLKNLSWKMMSSMMMM (Stephen Harper is the Prime Minister. He likes to buy stuff. He likes to buy pants.) I had a really hard time not laughing out loud. Just to be clear, there was nothing about shopping or buying stuff or pants in my lesson.

When we do our Canada thematic unit, I always have them do a piece of art in the style of a Canadian artist. One year, we did Lawren Harris's icebergs.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I often do a unit on Canadian symbols and Canadian animals. Students love choosing a Canadian animal to study.

Last year, we did an unit on the Inuit and that was also very interesting. Students enjoyed learning how the Inuit people survived long ago and what it is like to live in there now.

Dog sleds were an special favourite! I was interested to learn that the dogs are not tied to run ins 2s like I always see in movies in such. There are no trees so they can run out in a fan type shape. We found a great video to watch about how well those dogs are treated.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote