Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Recess tips!

>

Danarenee618

Recess tips!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! I just learned today that I finally landed my first probationary classroom job after ten years of subbing! Woo hoo! I will be teaching first grade. I am trying to be frugal in purchases. I am planning on doing daily (or near daily) in indoor recess or free time. I am planning on getting blocks, legos, art supplies, puzzles and board games. Teacher friends, what are some other recess must haves for the primary grades? What toys do your students love to play with during free time?

Danarenee618 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Some Ideas
Old 08-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on your new position!

For indoor recess, my students' favorite thing to do is create. They love making things. I have tape/glue, stapler/staples, crayons and left over pieces of construction paper in a small bin that I put out on a table. They love to draw, color, cut out and put together their creations. I add in a few coloring books. Some students just want to color and have some quiet down time.

During free-choice center time, my students love to go to the art center. I have a variety of left over scrapbook paper, old wall paper books, different kinds of scissors, wiggly eyes, popsicle sticks, hole punchers (different designs), different kinds of markers, crayons, Dilly Dot stampers, brown paper lunch bags, paper plates, toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, stickers, sponges, glue, tape, stapler/staples, watercolor paints, tempera paints, stamps/stamp pads... You can find lots of stuff at Dollar Tree or just ask for donations. Some people are willing to donate leftover materials from craft projects they've done at home.

I introduce basic coding activities to my kindergarten students and they love doing them. We use the carpet (colored squares), cut out mouse, cut out cheese, index cards with direction arrows to introduce to the whole group. One student holds the mouse and another student gives the commands to help the mouse get to the cheese. Once they understand how it works, then 2-3 students can choose to do that activity during indoor recess or free-choice center time. You can add challenges by putting barricades along the paths. (We just use our cardboard bricks from our block center to block paths.) I also have Robot Mouse and Maze activity from Learning Resources which brings in technology. You might be able to get PTA to purchase one for your class.

If you ask around, some people are willing to donate games that their child outgrew. My students love playing board games like Sorry, Trouble, Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. Sadly, it seems like many don't get to play games at home so initially you might need to invest some time teaching how to play the games. Once your students know how to play checkers, you can even have little tournaments. Dominoes are another favorite. Besides playing dominoes, they can set up designs to knock over. You can get checkers, dominoes and tic-tac-toe at the Dollar Tree.

Students can play War with an old deck of cards.

If you have Lego blocks, you can have your students do challenges like use Lego base/blocks to create a marble maze

You can have friends save toilet paper and paper towel tubes for your students to create a marble run. (They tape the tubes to the wall or to cardboard that you can stand vertically.)

You can't go wrong with having some matchbox cars. I have a small rug with construction site on it that the students like to drive the cars on. If you give them some bulletin board paper and markers, you can have them make their own mats. Have it in your block center so students can use those, too.

I have a bin filled with the small Mr. Potato Heads and pieces.

Every now and then I pull out the bin of different-colored and different-sized plastic cups. My students love creating designs and buildings. You can have different challenges throughout the year.

You can put the Go Noodle site on the Smartboard for students who want to do those activities.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have previously taught first grade. I did not have a daily free time, but I did have Friday Fun (it's part of my behavior management plan). My choices include Legos, wooden blocks, bristle blocks, toy cars, puppets, plastic cups (they enjoy making towers), watercolors, play doh, and whiteboard (where they can draw whatever they want with dry erase markers).
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

indoor recess
Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Crafting, Legos, toy cars, and cups have been the favorites around here.

For crafting, buy paper whenever you see a really good deal - all kinds, save things you would otherwise recycle, and watch the clearance bins at Michaels (or whatever craft store you have) for paper punches, stamps, etc.

Yard sales are great for Legos, cars, and board games, and paper cups are cheap on sale or at the dollar store. (The big plastic ones do get loud when they fall, though! - But even the little bathroom size ones are good if storage is at a premium.)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 08-24-2018, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Playdoh with cookie cutters

Lincoln Logs

Legos

Free Draw (plain white paper with markers and crayons)

Games like Connect Four, Guess Who, Battleship

donna is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Recess
Old 08-24-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Recess can look very different depending where you live. Our recess in mandated by the state and kids must be active. Indoor stuff is only be acceptable if it is raining. Even then, we like to have kids moving. Our teachers really like to use GoNoodle. The kids love it. Also basic games like Simon Says. When they are outside they love kickball, Red Light Green Light, jump ropes, etc. Either way, I would not spend a bunch of money. Shop yard sales and thrift stores. Ask parents for donations.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Recess
Old 08-27-2018, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have recess after lunch that is supervised by others and notin my classroom.

There’s only time once a week,on Friday, for “free time”. I call it choice time or discovery time. Our pta gave us makerstations with a variety of building things- magnatiles, tubes, bocks that stick together, etc. I also put out our pattern blocks, dominoes sets, small wooden blocks, art supplies.
Some kids like to play school with markers and our large chart paper, using old morning messages. Don’t usually use board games because of limited time.
I would ask for donations rather than buying things.

Have fun, first grade is great,
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote