Help

Classroom Management

Only the First Week & Stressed.....

>

missamberlori

Only the First Week & Stressed.....
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It is only the fourth day of school and I am so stressed that I am calling out sick tomorrow. Please do not tell me that I need to look for another job because I know I should have never become a teacher to begin with but now at almost 61 I am just trying to hold on until I can retire. The district I work for has a almost No retention policy and horrible, even dangerous behavior by students is not only tolerated but (in my opinion) reinforced by administration by giving what the student wants or looking the other way.
I am not a new teacher or one of the go out every Friday night together teacher. I want to do my job to the best of my ability and then go home. I try to be as friendly as possible but I have issues and responsibilities at home that require me to be there. I think that because I am not in the so called, "Young In Crowd" of the school I have been given so many behavior issues and low students that it is completely unfair to me. I don't know how I am going to emotionally handle the outrageous behaviors, and low academic students without losing my mind this year! I have already had a student removed from the classroom twice by the principal for behaviors that they were aware of from last year. I have other challenging behaviors and defiant students that although not being physically abusive as the most challenging student are falling on the floor, yelling across the room, screaming at each other, and just plain have the attention span as half a Gnat!
To make things even worse we have a new reading curriculum to not only learn but to teach.
I think the only positive in this story is that "This too Shall Pass" and I have a lot of sick days saved up! I am going to the doctor on Monday to get something for my blood pressure and nerves. Thanks for listening and I pray you never get a class like this!

missamberlori is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím sorry that you are having such a rough start to the school year! Behavior kiddos can suck the life out of you!

<<<big hugs!>>>

Just get through each day. Try to focus on the kids who are trying. Get your documentation started on your more special ones and ask for help!!!!! Take care of yourself!

I hope things start to look better as the year goes on ó I think the first month is just so hard!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

missamberlori

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you I just have to get myself back together and probably unfortunately, look the other way for many behaviors.
missamberlori is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Find something positive to focus on, or it will be a very long year. I have a severe behavior and on his bad days, which are every day he is there, I am exhausted every day. Another who reads at a k level, if that, who I have to stay on top of all the time... the rest are great, but it hard for them to work and do what they need to do when things are crazy all around...

Kids can make the days and weeks very long...
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote
Sophie Coke

Sophie Coke

Miss
Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i am very sorry to hear what you are going through. This too shall surely pass, but for now you are the one chosen by God to motivate the great minds of these children. I know it is very hard to handle challenging behaviors but please don't pay attention to the negatives; just try to maintain a positive attitude towards everything. Seek advice on how to plan your lessons even the new curriculum with more activities involved, since the students are hyperactive(use the bad for good). you can use the last five minutes before and after class to do something to relax their mind(short story, a funny joke, breathing techniques etc...you can also do this whenever their attention is being lost. Just try and be patient with them and even if they don't get it now they will remember in the future.
You are a special teacher. Take care of yourself and family, that is most important.
God bless!

EatPrayLove

Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

First, I want to say that I was handed the 'psych ward' class last year, and it was blatant how skewed the demographics were in my room vs. the other 5th grade room. We ended up having a system that made sure students were divided equitably using a spreadsheet system. That worked really well.

Next, I try these strategies:

I teach children who want to learn, and who are listening to the person who has the 'microphone'. I have positive incentives for children to pay attention and show proof of learning. I have lunches with difficult kids. I give out mints for when kids are good problem-solvers, or at least attempt to be. We have class meetings to do problem solving together. We have wellness breaks or impromptu runs out my door and around the playyard for a 2 minute brain break. So when a kid is sent another classroom for being extremely disruptive, you know I have done a TON to help the child channel their energy.

Hugs & love to you!
EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote