Help

The VENT

Follow Up to Summer E-mails

>

Angelo

Follow Up to Summer E-mails
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So... a follow up to the parent (see below if interested in the background) who, while acknowledging that I am on vacation and the school is closed, still wants me to weigh in on her son's ongoing struggles (or lack thereof) to get into AP Calculus this fall.

She e-mails to say that, unfortunately, it seems her son was unsuccessful in securing the required grade when repeating pre-Calculus in summer school. She requests a meeting with herself and her husband THIS WEEK to discuss next steps and to "ensure he still has the opportunity to take AP Calculus." She complains (in sort of a backward way) that I refused to get involved in Junior's summer school placement (i.e. speak to the teacher about his goals or get him switched to a teacher who would be "a better fit for him"). She says she understands that the school is basically closed and that I am on summer vacation, so for that reason, they are willing to be "flexible about the exact day and time of our meeting" but insist it must be sometime this week.

And... NO. I AM NOT WORKING. I AM ON SUMMER VACATION. What is so hard to understand about this? When I hadn't responded to the message (sent on Saturday morning), she sent a follow up complaining about my lack of response and something to the effect that, if my vacation time means more to me than her son's education and well-being, at least I could give the courtesy of acknowledging the message and indicating whom she CAN talk to this week to "get this resolved." She ends by reminding me how much they are spending on tuition to send Junior to our prep school and saying parents have a right to "expect better service than this."

You know who's around this week? The building manager and the cleaning staff. Talk to them and leave me alone. I'll talk to you at the end of August. And no, he's not going to be allowed to take AP Calculus no matter how persistent and demanding you are. So there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
I have a student who did poorly in pre-Calculus and wants to take AP Calculus next year. All year, the mother had been complaining that the teacher was the problem. Over the years, she's used the phrases "good fit" and "bad fit" to describe her son's teachers. Let's just say the list of teachers she feels is a "good fit" is very short and the list of teachers who are a "bad fit" is very long. When he doesn't do well, it's usually (in her mind) the teacher's fault. She's one of these parents who thinks student motivation is always and everywhere the teacher's responsibility. "I'm sure he's a fine teacher, but my son only works hard for teachers who really connect with him." Or "he needs that special teacher who can inspire him." Or "there are certain teachers who just know how to light that spark from day one." Blah, blah, blah.

So she was told her son had to drop AP Calculus unless he could pull up his grade in summer school. She fought, went to Admin, tried to blame the teacher for her son's poor performance, demanded that his grade be raised, asked if he could come in and re-do his final exam with another teacher grading it, demanded that that the required grade be waived and that her son proceed directly to AP Calc with some home tutoring. When she was told "No" (by me and at least two admins) at least ten times, she broke down and registered him for summer school (all the while grumbling that the family vacation plans were ruined).

Last night, she sent me an e-mail message complaining that the summer school teacher is a "bad fit" for her son (not joking), and that he appears to be doing worse in summer school than he was during the term. She wanted me to reach out and "fix" the situation with the summer school (totally unconnected to our school). She suggested that I either connect with the summer school teacher to help him to "understand" her son and his learning goals better or else reach out and request that her son be switched to another summer school teacher for the remaining two and a bit weeks.

She clearly saw my "out of the office" auto-reply because she sent a follow up e-mail saying something to to the effect that she understood I'm not technically working this month, but since this was my fault (not her exact words but that was the gist -- I MADE Junior go to summer school, so it's on me), I need to step in and help. She said that if she doesn't hear from me by the end of the day, she may have no choice but to pull her son from summer school and come in to discuss "other ways" he can pursue AP Calculus in the fall.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

How do you do it?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know how you are able to stay calm, patient, and sane dealing with parents like this! I enjoy your stories but am so thankful I don't have to do it.
Dreamer625 is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The sense of entitlement just blows my mind. We are not required to check email during the summer. Our contract is for 187 days and that's it. I set my out of classroom reply the moment I left school on our last day in June.

I do ocassionally check email, but no one needs to know that, and I will not respond to anything that I don't want to respond to
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm willing to be their son doesn't give a rat's a-- whether he's in that AP class or not this fall! He probably enjoys watching his parents get in a tizzy over his lack of motivation.
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Such entitkemenr
Old 07-29-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, as a matter of fact your summer vacation is more important to you than anything to do with jr,

Seriously, what I donít get is that her son has failed precalculus twice .... so just how will a D or F in AP calculus help her childís college admission possibilities?

Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't understand why you check emails in the summer.

Last edited by travelingfar; 07-29-2019 at 01:08 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Summer
Old 07-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow...just...wow.

She actually accused you of not placing her son over your entire life.

You know, if this had been your very first ever post, I might have thought you a troll.

Talk about clueless parents. And stop reading your emails.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm still locked out of my account for the summer. I won't be able to access my email until September.

You can do it, Angelo. Believe in the lockout.

Believe in the lockout.

Believe in the lockout.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 07-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just don't open my email during the summer. I set my out-of-office and let it do it's thing.

My out of office usually goes something like:
"ABC school district is on summer break from [date] until [date]. I will not be regularly checking my email. Please allow for a delay in responses. I will try to respond to all emails in the order in which I receive them. For immediate help, please call the main office at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The main office summer hours are Monday-Thursday from 8-4.

Thank you. Have a nice summer."

I also used to teach AP Calculus, and have had SEVERAL parents reach out to me thinking I can use my clout to get their kid in AP Calc. My response is either, talk to the guidance counselor (here are their summer hours) or no, your kid does not meet the requirements for this class. Here is a list of classes your child does qualify for.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-29-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the kid's transcript will read...

Pre-Calc = F

Pre-Calc again = F

AP Calc (if admins surrender) = F

Does she really think College of Choice will accept that? Not to mention, it has Entitled, Helicopter, PITA Parent written all over it.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ooh, the balls on that one!

I don't do well with entitled people.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

I sure hope
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You don't reply.....at all! Nothing, nada, zip! What a demanding twit she is!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
We are not required to check email during the summer. Our contract is for 187 days and that's it. I set my out of classroom reply the moment I left school on our last day in June.

I do occasionally check email, but no one needs to know that, and I will not respond to anything that I don't want to respond to
This exactly-If I were you I would absolutely play dumb and act like you pulled a joker and locked myself out...email...I haven't seen email in weeks. Sorry, I don't access email in the summer. I am waiting for technology to unlock it for me, I had a password issue this summer.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Don't respond
Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You aren't going to respond, are you? I mean, how would she know you even check your email in the summer? I will check mine, but that's usually because the principal may give some kind of update or something like that. If I had a parent email with such a request, I would not respond. You deserve your full summer break.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote