The VENT

PD woes

>

AugustBlues

AugustBlues

PD woes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, can I just ask WHY do admin and guest speakers feel like we need ice breakers every day of PD? Or, why do presenters constantly "present" by having teachers discuss every 1 minute? I'm not exaggerating. "Go switch around partners, go find someone new, go find someone new again, be ready to share out". I understand how this model totally works for kids. But adults? We are adults. Shouldn't we be able to decide if we want to stay put and/or share out? I would rather have a presenter speak for 4 hours with short reflection briefs versus what PD is now. I don't like it nor do I feel like it's a good use of time.

And the teachers who have been working for free over the summer setting up their class! I don't understand that. I do if I had just 2-3 days to set up, then it's understandable. But, these seem to be the people who want a "pinterest or instagram" worthy classroom. I would like to enjoy my summer and not think about school when I don't have to! Just random thoughts. (and certainly no offense to those who choose to spend their summers in their class - maybe someone can explain why to me and I could appreciate it more!).

hikinghiker

Agree
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

about the PDs. I absolutely hate the condescending 'modeling' technique. I understand how admin and presenters might think that it's a good idea to model, but at some point even they must know that it gets ridiculous and that we aren't the middle schoolers. If all I'm doing during these PDs in discussion with those around me and 'teaching' my peers we might as well not be in the PD since we're doing all the work anyways. Let us go off in our grade level teams and actually get something done.

As for teachers who work in their rooms over summer...I admit...I'm one of them. I also like to have a Pinterest-worthy classroom. I spend 8+ hours in that room every single day so one of my priorities is making sure it appeals to me (and my kinders). I'm also single and live alone and don't have a summer job so doing some things a week or two before PD starts helps keep me sane during the summer. I also just enjoy setting up things and organizing and it lets me feel a little more at home and comfortable walking around and being inside the classroom before the kids actually show up which is a huge bonus for me.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote
AugustBlues1

AugustBlues1

Yes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ahh..thanks for explaining! I can see it from that perspective actually and honestly, I guess after hearing your explanation about setting up - if I could, I would opt to try to get a bit more organized too! Because it does get stressful when we have days with prep/pd's and fitting in class stuff too. Sanity is very important before school starts! Thanks for shedding light.

YES to the model method. I was telling my friend earlier that if I had the book and powerpoint that was used in PD, I could have self taught myself at home. It's such a waste because it's discussions + teaching peers. Which to me, is not the purpose PD. We aren't the children so why are you sitting there having us model it?! for 7 hours!! SEVEN. (and this was just 1 day with many to go...)

arsabl

Pd
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I truly dislike the modeling feature of PD. I have a hard time getting around a room due to physical problems so for me to find ďsomeone newĒ really takes effort. I tend to be a stick in the mud or excuse myself to use the restroom.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I was a presenter
Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and I too am not into wander and share, but in "presenter class" we were always encouraged/required to have social interaction activities to address the needs of those kinds of learners. Physical movement, talking time, writing on charts, etc. etc. are all supposed to meet the various learning modalities of the teachers in the class as well as modeling for their own use.

For me, I'd be happy reading a book with a highlighter in my hand or taking notes during a nice long uninterrupted lecture. I did learn to appreciate sharing ideas, became a bit social, even liked moving around the room to keep awake, etc. The activities aimed at various learners may not float my boat, but they make a difference to others in the room.

One thing I learned is that being a presenter is very energizing and I needed to remind myself that the poor folks listening and watching the presentation may not be getting energized, but rather are stuck in chairs and need a break now and then, any kind of break. Even the wander and share stuff can help some.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To the OP, OMG yes. I totaly agree. Broomrider, interesting that this was an expectation at "presenter class." Maybe I'd be willing to have one activity like that to address the needs of social learners....a good friend is definitely one of those people. Like the OP, I find that it isn't a one shot deal. It's constant. I hate it, hate the PD and dislike the presenter, because it's often repeated and constant. It comes at the expense of those people who learn differently or have mobility issues or need processing time or whatever. I wish it were presented as an option: "If you'd like to...." "Anyone want to share out?" Most people don't (IME) but there's always some that do. I'd let them, if it works for them, as long as you let me avoid it land minimize it. Always gives me a bad attitude about the experience.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-02-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Think about how much most of us hate ice breakers and pair and share. Iím pretty sure that the kids in middle and high school hate it just as much
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What I hate most
Old 08-02-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

is when I take the time to go early to a PD, select a comfortable spot where my back is to the wall, facing the presenter area, where I can see clearly, and perhaps even be with a friend or two and then the presenter demands that everyone get up and move to a new table!

I always get stuck in the back with my back to the presenter and nobody I know. He/She might as well stop talking, because I'm done.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
when I take the time to go early to a PD, select a comfortable spot where my back is to the wall, facing the presenter area, where I can see clearly, and perhaps even be with a friend or two and then the presenter demands that everyone get up and move to a new table!
Exactly this! I purposely arrive early to find a place to sit so I will be comfortable. I have a little claustrophobic anxiety and need to feel comfortable in my space in order to relax. I need to be able to see a door and not have people behind me or blocking me in (sitting in the middle at a long table is tough), and it is way worse in large spaces with a lot of people. I know what I need to be comfortable so I can take part in the PD so I plan ahead and take care of those needs without bothering anyone else. There are many times I just don't move, I stand up and pretend to gather my things then sit back down. I have made a nest and I'm staying in it.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
There are many times I just don't move, I stand up and pretend to gather my things then sit back down. I have made a nest and I'm staying in it.
I love that idea. I may have to adopt it!

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Old 08-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

They do this to fill time because they donít have enough content in their main presentation.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Anyone (usually) has the right to go into the building over the summer & fix up their classroom. I go in a day before classes begin and get mine half set up for the first day. I prefer to have a work in progress because the super duper decked out classrooms are way too busy.
Zero interest in going in before summer is over. The summer--being outside of the building--belongs to me and I intend to keep it that way.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Candy525

I agree!
Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We had a presenter that spent the first half hour talking about his grandkids and trains! OMG 😮! I was so done by the end of the day!
Candy525 is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

Go
Old 08-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

to the bathroom and hide that's my secret.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You know they say it's about appealing to different kinds of learners, but they are missing out on a big group...introverts. A lot of times their ice breakers cause me severe social anxiety. No, I do not care to come up with a song and dance to show you what I have learned, much less with total strangers. Itís changed my thoughts on group work and presentations. Kids need to learn to work as a group, so sometimes I require group work, but there are also times where I will say, ďWith your group, or on your own.Ē Iíve also been working hard to give kids different ways of showing what theyíve learned. I know a child that came close to being retained because her teacher kept on giving her failing grades because her social anxiety was too high to allow her to present.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
AugustBlues2

AugustBlues2

Yes
Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I agree. They donít take into consideration at all about the introverts and I am one. Putting me in a forced situation in every PD to keep sharing out isnít making me ďget over itĒ. Itís been exhausting each day with all the energy it takes to fake enthusiasm. But youíre absolutely right: they say they want to hit on all teachers learning styles but introverts isnít taken into account!!!

Shell

Old 08-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Don't forget the Kagan strategies during every PD.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

Pd
Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Another introvert with social anxiety as well. What irritates me is the perception that we are not team players because we don't care for all of the waste of time games. Not just it's a waste of time, it's hard for me to fake enjoyment.

Some of the activities can be fun (depending on circumstances). And I really try hard to do at least 1 or 2 with a happy face. But it's so exhausting and phony.

The presenters probably think they are doing us a favor with the activities because it's giving us ideas to use in the classroom. NEWSFLASH. We already know that. I get it. If they must switch things up, have us do an activity using the new material that would actually work in our classroom. It's nothing like sitting for hours and thinking, none of this applies to my group of kids.

One of the best PDs I attended was when the presenter was able to convince us that his product could work in ANY class. He converted the art and PE teachers. He even offered to come back on his own time for follow up. And now that I remember, he mocked the APs. Told them how all us teachers wanted to be anywhere but there! we had a good laugh. Instead of doing ice-breakers, we did meaningful activities and some of them were fun in nature.

The sad part about this, our district decided not to go forward with his product!
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
FrostByteT

FrostByteT

Ugh PDs
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The only good PDs seem to be run by teachers or former teachers that hated going thru PDs! Quick, to the point, with little to no padding.

The district had a PD day last year where teachers could sign up for sections that interested them or applied to a subject they wanted to know more about. We were thrilled! Sadly, after the first two 90 min sessions were just giant testimonial advertisements of teaching programs to sign up for, I found a quiet corner to pop open my laptop and do actual work.

As to trainings not taking into consideration different personality types, I just stand my ground.

Go around the circle and share a deeply emotional life event? No thanks, I pass.

Summarize these pages in a section and create a poster in 5 minutes? I need more time to process.

I've gotten looks, but every so often my polite refusal allows someone else that is uncomfortable to bow out as well.

cruxian

Old 08-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm another introvert who hates these!! At my last school, I worked well with an extrovert for whom these things were designed. It'd come to the time where we'd have to do something like a song and ance and I'd look at her and she'd sigh and go.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

My opinion
Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am an introvert so I would dread the PD where the participants became the presenters. This happened many times during my teaching career. I remember one particular PD in which the presenter provided us with a book. Then, she assigned a chapter to a group of 3 or 4 people. The group had to read the chapter assigned and then present it to the class. This was a week long PD. The presenter was a nice lady on a personal level, however I felt that it was pure laziness on her part. I am sure she was paid fairly big bucks to present the material to us. We did her job for her.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote