Help

The VENT

Dragging my feet this year

>

PindleLou888

Dragging my feet this year
Old 08-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So usually over the summer I obsess about school and plan lessons, plan bulletin boards, find read alouds, make things, etc. This summer I've hardly done anything. I just can't seem to get motivated. By this time I'm usually chomping at the bit to get into the school and start setting up my room. But not this year. I don't know what's wrong with me and I have a feeling that I am going to be woefully behind from the get-go...freaking out and kicking myself.

Anyone else feel this way?

PindleLou888 is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Sometimes
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You just need a break. You deserve a summer to relax and recharge. How can you feel rejuvenate if you are working on stuff for school!
When does school start for you? I am sure when you go back you will have everything ready for the kiddos.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Maybe
Old 08-03-2019, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All the previous summers planning and preparing mean you have materials and curriculum organized and ready. There is value in being experienced!

This yearís kids wonít know or care if you use last yearís room set up and decorations.

There are many teachers who have the students help create and set up their room. Saves the teacher time and stress and gives students ownership of the environment.

One reason I have a Forester (mini SUV) is all the room in the back of the car to stash stuff at the beginning of the year til I can get cupboards finally organized.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's probably a good thing not to have obsessed over the summer. There's nothing wrong with you - your brain needed a break! I've found that the longer I teach the more I need and want my summers to be exactly that - a school free summer.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

No desire
Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have no desire to decorate my room, get it ready, plan, go back, etc. No desire whatsoever! I had a really rough year this past year and really need to recharge. Unfortunately, it was so rough I need more than just this summer. It didn't help that it went by so fast and it seems like I never got a chance to rest or breath. Just busy, busy, busy.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel you. All of you!

I have made/done a few things here and there this summer for my library classroom, but not the usual amount. I have had no desire to spend the money out of my small pockets to make a Pinterest showcase classroom. Without much money, I have been forced into being more creative, as well as do more planning rather than making stuff.

I won't be excited til I'm offcially back to work and my team and I are reunited. And I get to see my fellow library peeps.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I kind of feel like there is a massive flood coming and I'm not building my ark!

kahluablast

Old 08-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I usually spend a considerable amount of time rethinking things, figuring out some changes, and ramping up my mind. This year I have not and we start Monday. I am in a new job. I tried, but I just couldn't get anywhere.

I will be able to pull it together.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in the same boat. Last year was toxic. I'm not ready and I go back Wednesday. I feel like I didn't have much of a summer. I spent all of June recovering.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel you. My last two years were hell. I've done a little bit in my room. I have ZERO desire to go back to work Monday. There are a few changes coming, and I am not prepared. I will make it work though. One day at a time.

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ugh...several of you are talking about how last year was toxic. Usually I feel that way too because I previously taught in extremely rough inner city schools. The funny thing is that last year was my best year yet! I moved to a nicer school last year. Maybe teaching in the rough, often violent schools made me always be in fight or flight mode...now I'm not in that situation anymore. It's like I need that adrenaline.

benteach

A Break is ....
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

sometimes needed during the summer. Time for yourself and your family helps to put and keep school in perspective. I do not feel guilty that I took the entire summer off from school -this will help this year be much better than the last 3!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Thereís nothing wrong
Old 08-04-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing anything work related when you arenít under contract. I was done when I signed out in June and will go back in on the morning of Aug. 16th. We do have 7 work days (surely much of it will be scheduled for us) prior to the first student day.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-04-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love this:
Quote:
I kind of feel like there is a massive flood coming and I'm not building my ark!
The closer we get to going back, the more I feel like I should feel this way, but I don't. . My room isn't even ready. When I went in the beginning of July to check on my fish, I noticed that you can't even see my desk area because of all the stuff I couldn't put away and piled in front of it. There definitely is work ahead of me this week.

I just hope I can sleep tonight and each of the following nights.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I got out of teaching pretty quickly and I don't know how you guys do it year after year! Not that I couldn't do a good job with teaching, it just isn't for me personality-wise, I don't think.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I could have written this post! I was just complaining bitterly to my family this morning about how I am sick and tired of being forced to go in over my already short summer vacation (I taught summer school) to set up my classroom. In our district, our teacher work days are NOT work days! They are for P.D., staff meetings, etc. My first official day back will be Wednesday. So, I guess I will drag my butt down to my classroom tomorrow to work for a few hours. I was feeling very guilty, also, about not thinking about school at all and planning fun activities, decor, etc, but you all made me feel so much better! We're all in the same ark, I guess!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Give yourself a break
Old 08-04-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You may just be overly exhausted and really need the break. You are experienced and can probably have plans together quickly. I had to change classrooms once again and I had some health issues over the summer (primarily caused by stress during the school year), which meant I just couldn't do all that I normally do. I start this week and I'm hoping the room at least looks neat and somewhat inviting by the time students arrive.
Once you get in there and meet your class you'll probably feel more energized and excited about the year.
Best wishes to you.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Summer Prep
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Most summers I am always looking for new ideas and go back to school ready to redecorate. This year not so much. I love what I do but I just don't feel the need to re-invent myself or my lessons. Everything seemed to work very well last year. We are not lower elementary so no theme. For me it is farmhouse and science. Teachers report in 3 days, meet the teacher is in 8 days and the first day of school is in 10 days. Everything will fall into place. Just need to get my first week of school planned. My classroom looks just fine as it did last year.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Yep, Just Can't Get it Together
Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am the same. I usually am pretty excited and have made a bunch of new things for the school year. This year, I stopped myself from doing anything until closer to school. Now that it is bearing down on me, I have nothing done.

It's a horrible feeling. Without my motivation and excitement, I don't know how I'm going to get started this year. I need something to get into or it is going to be a long haul. I'm just afraid if I am this "meh" at the start, I'm never going to make it to the end!

Hope you find your motivation and have a great start. Maybe I'll look at some blogs or something to get inspired?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss_Mary_Mac

Yes!!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

What a great analogy about the ark! I feel the exact same way!! I am at a loss as to what to do. Will I suddenly feel motivated when I have to report next week??
Miss_Mary_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote