Help

The VENT

no job

>

bison06

no job
Old 08-04-2019, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I left teaching early November, I had a rough transition to a new district and they changed my teaching assignment the first week of school and things never recovered. I was thankful to be out of the classroom (I enjoyed the good parts of teaching but it was very draining and took a lot of work). I had met with an employment agency and thought they were going to be able to get me a job but all of that fell through, and I kept looking for jobs but I was unemployed for a couple months (had always been breadwinner/DH works but low paying jobs). In January I started teaching with VIPKID and working for a friend's company (in a warehouse - $10/hr). It was a nice change of pace, but was exhausting waking up early and then doing monotonous work for hours. Then coming home and picking kids up from school, dinner, home things, etc. This summer I quit warehouse job to stay home with the kids and try to teach a lot more with VIPKID (warehouse job wouldn't have covered childcare anyways). My VIPKID bookings never picked up and I didn't get any of the jobs I interviewed for (private preschools, some office jobs, etc). Now school is about to start back up and we've gone through the little savings we had. I've upped the jobs I've applied for, and am now applying for anything. I can go back to the warehouse when school starts but I need to find something that pays better. My friends tell me I didn't get the jobs I wanted/thought I would get this summer because "God has something better." But I'm ready to know what that is, because right now I don't know how we're going to keep making ends meet. And I don't want to work full-time and come home exhausted everyday or possibly even have a schedule that is working afternoons and evenings/weekends, so I'm grieving the fact that I won't be able to be involved at my kids school and be the mom I've always wanted to be. I'm just struggling and don't know who to talk to. I woke up at 2:30 last night and couldn't go back to sleep because I just kept thinking of everything that is stressing me out. I don't really know why I'm posting this, I just needed to get it out.

bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Stressing about money is never fun.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It wears you down so quickly. Why is it that your husband can't pick up some of the slack?

Have you thought of working for a tutoring center or doing tutoring on your own? Maybe you could apply to be a teacher's aide and get your foot in the door that way.

I hope you find something soon. Maybe as school starts, some unfilled positions will pop up and you can grab one of those. Good luck.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Doesnít sound like teaching is in the cards
Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Clarity, from what I am reading bison06 isnít trying to obtain another teaching position. Is that correct bison06?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Medical field
Old 08-04-2019, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sorry you are going through hard times. A coworker of mine actually left teaching for the medical field. She got a job at a hospital giving trainings to teachers. She has zero medical experience but she found the job on an online website. They said they hired her because they know teachers can give strong trainings to adults
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-04-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
And I don't want to work full-time and come home exhausted everyday or possibly even have a schedule that is working afternoons and evenings/weekends...
I understand your desire to be with your kids and to be able to volunteer at their school and so on. But I'm keying in on two things. One is that you don't want to work full-time. Do you mean that you want a high-paying but flexible part-time job? Not possible, I think. Also, why no evenings/weekends? If your DH is home to be with the kids, maybe that's when you should work. Years ago, DH and I 'traded kids" in the parking lot at 5 p.m. when he left work and I reported for work. It's not fun, but it's manageable. I also second Clarity's question: Why can't your DH pitch in more? If you all decide as a team that you should work less so you can be at home with the kids more, then he should pick up the slack by taking on a second job or getting a higher-paying full-time job. Whatever you all work out, I hope for the best for you. Kids and family are precious.

teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-04-2019, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This sounds like a tough situation. Maybe the unemployment offices in your region would have some suggestions.

You sound like a hard worker who is willing to tackle anything. Maybe start a home business like a home day care center since you love kids and want to be there for your own.

I pray your direction opens up soon.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Would offering childcare in your home be an option for you? This would allow you to be home for your kids.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

bison06, I'm sorry things are tough financially. I know how you feel too! I don't remember if you've started other threads in the past about this, but I probably posted in them too.

Does your husband have any kind of physical condition to prevent him from working a little more? Seems you're carrying the weight of this marriage/household and he needs to look for more work or something.

So other than going back to warehousing, what else do you plan to do next? I'm sure you don't want to get into retail store of waitressing jobs. I'm sure you've thought of tutoring, but where would you do it? Are there any tutoring facilities around you?
I sure wouldn't want people to start coming to my home. I guess you could meet at a local library. I wish I knew the answer!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I read youíre post and Iím sending hugs. I know what itís like to wake up in the middle of the night so worried you canít go back to sleep.

But....Iím a believer in making your own luck. Job hunting is an angry bear and all you can do is keep applying, keep widening the net. Iíve taken jobs I didnít really want because, for me, any job is better than no job.

Quote:
I don't want to work full-time and come home exhausted everyday....
None of us do. Itís work. Itís exhausting. Keep plugging.

I wish you huge good luck.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I have been through nights like that, Amiga
Old 08-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I know what itís like to wake up in the middle of the night so worried you canít go back to sleep.
After my husband had his brain injury, night after night after night. It was awful and scary.

I hate how we hear daily about how great the economy is doing, and then read these situations. I also know of a LOT of folks in my real life who are struggling. Economy is doing great for the rich.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Have you tried volunteering? If you're still unemployed, I would get your face out there. Makes as many connections as you can. No offense, but why does your husband get to have a low paying job? Maybe he needs to job hunt too. It's always better to have to well paid people.

NJ Teacher

Difficult...
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The fact that your husband works low paying jobs makes being a stay at home mom very hard for you. I agree with Amiga that no one wants to work and come home exhausted or work on weekends or evenings, but sometimes, even if it's temporary, we don't have a choice.

Retail would most likely involve evenings and weekends as would restaurant work. Subbing would give you flexibility, but not necessarily a regular paycheck. Our public library hires some part-time workers, but that still would involve weekends and/or evenings.

I hope you find something that you can do to regain financial stability. When I was considering leaving teaching earlier in my career, I took some career tests at the placement office of my college. Interestingly, it all came back I should stay in teaching but continue to pursue a job with another district, which I ultimately did. Such career counseling might give you a better answer of where your aptitudes lie and what types of jobs tap into those skills.

Good luck to you.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This might just be the season of your life where you have to work full-time. A lot of us would like to work part-time and make a living, it just doesn't work that way. Start looking for a real job and stop with all this part-time, online, hustle hustle stuff. You're wasting valuable job search time looking for the perfect 10-hour a week, $50k job. If it's any consolation, my school has already had THREE resignations in the past TWO days, so as the year starts off, jobs will open up. Hang in there, job hunting sucks.

Sbkangas5

Old 08-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm sorry things aren't working out as you had hoped they would. It's so stressful when money is tight, especially when you have kids. I know it's not ideal, but have you looked into Starbucks? I know they offer good health insurance, even to part time employees, if that's an issue. Or if you have a Trader Joe's nearby - I know quite a few people that work for them and are very happy. Are you in an area where people are looking for childcare in their home? Pay might not be ideal but it's often more flexible. Substitute teaching? Every district I know is desperate for subs, and then you don't have to take anything home.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 08-04-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you for your support. I know that I'll need to find something full-time now, I was just venting, at the beginning of the summer I thought I was going to be able to make it work with VIPKID and/or a one of the part-time jobs I interviewed for and be able to be involved at my kids' school next year, so I'm just coming to terms with the fact that I can't be that kind of mom. I'm applying for all kinds of jobs at this point.

DH and I both struggle with anxiety/depression and it's just been a hard season, we moved last summer and nothing worked out like it was supposed to (mostly with my job, but that affected several things). DH is looking for something else also, but he was a stay-at-home parent for 4 years and doesn't have a college degree, so he struggles to find something that pays well.

I know I just need to accept it and lots of people juggle more than I do and do a great job with it all, I've just never been able to keep up with everything.
bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I know younger people don't really want to think about this, but you need to plan for the future also. Several part time jobs do not help you save for retirement. Every year you don't work full-time now, will be an extra year you'll have to work when you're in your 60's. You'll wish you had paid into the teacher pension a lot sooner.

Has hubby looked into city/town jobs (police/fire, DPW worker, school custodian, water/sewer plant worker, etc) or larger employers in your area? Many of those pay well and include a pension or 401K.

Good luck with your money troubles. I was in the same boat many years ago. You can do it! Remember, most working moms can't participate in school day activities very often. They pick a few special events and use their personal days.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-04-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I don't know much about medical billing, but my wife and I know someone who did it from home while her children were young. She was good at it and enjoyed the flexible hours, but I'm not sure how much she earned.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I forgot to mention subbing in my previous post. You won't get benefits, but it pays better than the retail, mall, restaurant jobs and you can take a day off here and there when you need to.

Do you have the skills to do a clerical job?
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 08-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it's time to be more practical and accepting of the reality of your situation. Most people have to work hard. Most people have to work full time. This is life. Accept it.

"Grieving" the idea of not being able to be involved in your kids school? As a mother who has never been able to do this (because I work full time), I find this feeling to be self indulgent. It's time to knock that off. It's also time to accept the need to work full time and aggressively pursue that. Working part time and being free to volunteer with your kids classroom is a luxury that most people cannot afford. I certainly have not been able to do it and most people I know cannot, either.

If you don't want to work a job that's draining and takes a lot of work, then teaching is probably not your gig. I would recommend to start pursuing non-teaching jobs. Your husband needs to start putting in efforts towards getting a different, higher paying job, too.

I really and truly wish you the best of luck. Life really is hard, but the best way to get the most out of life is to knuckle down and do what you need to do.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

Not trying to analyze your situation, but...
Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

In my first marriage, my husband started out well as a breadwinner but then became unmotivated. I quit a job (unwisely) due to my resentment of my extreme amount of work (50 hour week contract at a newspaper) while he lounged around. I was hoping he would "man up." He didn't.

I am with the others that reality always wins. If you have children, someone has to work to provide for them. It is exhausting but necessary. I wish you luck. But I don't know anyone who miraculously found a part-time job that allowed them to maintain a lifestyle of volunteering at their child's school and "being the mom I've always wanted to be" while also supporting a husband who either wants or needs to stay home out of the workforce.

Perhaps you can sit down and talk about the situation with your husband and find a way that both of you can step things up. If he won't talk about it, and leaves it all on your shoulders, you have a different problem.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote