How many teachers show movies in class regardless of copyright laws? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

How many teachers show movies in class regardless of copyright laws?

>

SG51

SG51

How many teachers show movies in class regardless of copyright laws?
Old 08-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So Iíve recently been reading up on how itís illegal to show movies if itís not supporting your lesson plans but how many teachers still show movies just for fun? I remember all the teachers that would show movies the last day before Christmas break, thanksgiving, last day of school etc. Iím guilty of popping in a movie too on some Fridays. My class is students with low incidence disabilities and on Fridays, theyíre pretty much done and tired from the whole week. I donít mind just letting them relax and showing them a movie or watching videos on YouTube (music, Kidz bop, Gonoodle, Disney etc.) They enjoy it too, I get reactions from them. But I also donít want to get in trouble or fired for showing a movie or get sued by Disney. All the movies I play are G movies with music, they just donít tie into lessons.

hiker1

Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I show something I try to get an old movie. Something I'm fairly certain they haven't seen. Years ago I worked with a teacher who was going to show a pirated copy of a movie that was just released to the theatres. She couldn't understand why it was wrong to show it in her classroom.
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had Discovery Ed so I could show some movies through it. Those are okay.

I have shown movies, but not often. They always are connected to my curriculum in some way. I have not shown a movie just for the fun factor.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Once or twice
Old 08-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe during a winter party or at the end of the school year. Thatís about it.

I donít think you would get in trouble with a production company like Disney unless you were profiting. For example, our PTA has to purchase a license to show a fundraiser movie.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think fifteen minutes of a movie at the end of the day when the kids are tired and you're getting homework ready probably falls under "fair educational use". The main concern is showing their movies for profit without a license, such as showing a Disney movie at a PTA movie night fundraiser. Netflix is VERY persnickety about its programming, but they make an exception for schools. To protect instructional time, I wouldn't ever have my class sit in front of a movie for two hours, but when you have 35 Kinders, sometimes a few minutes of a video saves my sanity When I was a kid, movies and TV were a special treat, but honestly, most kids just get bored and wiggly in front of a movie for too long these days. At class parties, they'd much rather just eat their snacks and talk to each other.

Unicorngirl

Then my old specials team would always be
Old 08-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In trouble. They show movies like at least 50 times a year (no joke.)
Unicorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
SG51

SG51

Oh wow
Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I donít do pirated movies haha. I just bring DVDs I own. I only show G movies though because Iím not even going down the route of PG in school.

juliet4

Movies
Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are so often overdone. Plenty to teach without watching a movie they have all seen. Our district came down hard on the ďmovieĒ people. No one is allowed to watch movies anymore unless it is strictly tied to curriculum. When my own kids were in junior high, I was very disappointed in the number of movies they were allowed to watch!
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Movies
Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know it's best not to overdo them but I don't think there's harm in showing them. Whenever I have a substitute there's almost always at least one video that's tied in to curriculum. What I love is when our snarky secretary makes a comment about how the kids watched "another movie"after looking at sub plans...
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Commenting on sub plans???
Old 08-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That sounds pretty snarky to me! Do you comment on how she answers the phone? I was lucky to work with secretaries, for the most part, that were true angels.

BTW, if kept to a minimum, I see no reason to not pop in a video when the TEACHER needs a break. It can work wonders.

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I used to show a movie the day before Christmas break back in the day. New P cut down on "fluff," even on days like that, so that's a thing of the past. I did show some Magic School Bus episodes from Netflix to my after school group (on the last day before Christmas break and also the last after school tutoring day of the year).

Like some others mentioned, my understanding was that it was only an issue if you were profiting from it, like showing it an evening event where you charged money for tickets or something.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I was in the classroom, we were never allowed to show a movie unless we had a written statement (from us) about how it was educational and why it fit in with our curriculum.

As a parent, I am shocked at how many movies my kids seem to get shown in school. I can see pieces of movies or short shows fitting in with the curriculum, but so many kids watch so much TV and so many movies outside of school. I think there are other fun ways to teach and let kids relax and enjoy without using movies. To be clear, I don't have a problem with a short video here and there when it makes sense and enhances learning. But entire, full-length movies on a semi-regular basis? Not a fan.

I have also heard that showing some of those movies (especially Disney) in their entirety might not be "ok" due to copyright. Definitely not if you're making money on it (fundraiser). I know my daughter's former school would get permission for their (free) family fun movie nights.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 08-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Some highschool kids got into trouble because they had a movie night fund raiser. They only got in trouble because they charged admission. We were told that if you don't make a profit from it, it's ok.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I know it's best not to overdo them but I don't think there's harm in showing them. Whenever I have a substitute there's almost always at least one video that's tied in to curriculum
I got in trouble once at a school for playing a YouTube video that was in the sub plans. I could get the video to play but not the sound. Since the video was integral to the lesson I had to play it. I used my phone to listen to the voice-over and repeat it for the students. Principal saw this and flipped out on me at the end of the day. To her it looked like I was talking on my phone. Dropped her school at the end of the year.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Movies
Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've never really thought about the copyright, but movies are a rare treat in my class. Like, once or twice a year rare. I do, however, show clips from Alphablocks during our fruit break.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't but know others who do. Like kahulablast, we have Discovery Learning that I use. I am not one who likes showing movies because I feel most students watch enough at home. I usually show 1 on the last day of winter break but it's 30 min. long and goes with my planned activity. We too are supposed to have a tie in to curriculum.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

movies
Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would try to incorporate it into a lesson. For example, We had read Boxcar Children - when I showed the movie, we did a compare and contrast chart.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I certainly don't have enough time to show movies for pure fluff or just because I need a break.

But not only that, I don't think they work for that anymore. When I first started teaching, kids were glued to the screen even if it was a cheesy, poorly-acted TV special recorded on VHS with commercials you had to fast forward (that's how I showed the ABC A Wrinkle in Time ).

Now? I can barely get them to sit through a high interest, high quality, two minute YouTube clip.

Movies aren't a treat. They're the background of their lives. And they have no ability to sit still for extended periods even for a Marvel movie, let alone one that 3/4 have probably already seen before multiple times or that might not interest them. They're used to being able to pause and talk whenever they want in a movie.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Not being able to sit through a video
Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I actually think this is a problem and I don't just mean that because of laziness. Eventually they will want to go to a movie theater or a public play and they can't just talk whenever they want to there.

Nietzsche

Old 08-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

From my student teaching and subbing experience, I can't tell you how many movies I have shown that I though were a waste of the student's time. While student teaching, I was told by my cooperating teacher that they always watched, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." I did an extended sub job in an elementary school and the sub plans said to watch that same movie. Between the two meant I watch that movie 9 times from start to finish. I can't tell you how many times I have run into a class watching, "Saving Private Ryan." But the best one was a HS social studies teacher whose classes would watch over 50 movies a year. He never turned the lights on in his classroom.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
Eventually they will want to go to a movie theater or a public play and they can't just talk whenever they want to there.
I agree it's a problem but I disagree that they will think its a problem.

I was at the movies behind an entire row of 10-11 year olds once.

Most of them got up part way through to ... do what? I don't know. Bathroom? Popcorn refill? But anyway, they definitely didn't sit the whole way through. And there was a whole lot more whispering than I'd have allowed in teacher mode.

The few times I've gone to the movies that had groups of kids, they werevery squirmy or loud.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Gromit
Old 08-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Oh exactly. I think they're not being taught to be considerate of others. They need to be taught that it's a problem.

GoodEnough85

Sg51
Old 08-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
My class is students with low incidence disabilities and on Fridays, they’re pretty much done and tired from the whole week.
With this population, you probably also cover life skills, communication skills, social skills and a litany of others--movies are perfect for those lessons. Even in the case of Job skills--could you do that job? Even Cinderella has a lot of chores to do... So make it a lesson and google a lesson plan. You can use clips or watch the whole thing. You can stop/pause along the way or watch it through and discuss after.

Google movies to teach character traits, movies about feelings, movies about _______ (your choice.)

Most movies today have online plans or discussion points. Some were from Christian/religious websites so I modified the questions/sentence starters/discussion points to focus on morals or specific character traits and left out the religious parts. I kept a copy in my plan book even if we never referred to it (in case someone said something.) Sometimes I went to more than one site and just kept my references for them. After we watched it, I stored all the lesson plans in a separate binder with the lists from the Google searches above.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Grommit: So True
Old 08-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

"Now? I can barely get them to sit through a high interest, high quality, two minute YouTube clip."

I feel the exact same way. We read a few novels of which there are movie adaptations. I try to avoid showing these because most of the students can't pay attention to the movie. If it is longer than 30 seconds, forget it. I also got tired of hearing, "Can I sleep?" during video excerpts and lessons with them in it. Um, no, we have a related assignment.

Also, I thought it fell under fair use if you are just showing it to a regular class. Now, maybe if it is school wide, it is different? Not really sure, but like I said I rarely show an entire movie anymore.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote