Help

The VENT

Amazon Wish Lists for teachers

>

FLteachESE

Amazon Wish Lists for teachers
Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am all for getting as much help for buying supplies for your classroom, However, when I go look at your list and I am seeing decor and fancy smancy desk top organizers and picture frames and other things that are not supplies, it bothers me that you are asking the public to pay for decorating your room, not supplying it.

Vent over. I feel better. thanks!

FLteachESE is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Lists
Old 08-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve seen these lists popping up a lot lately. I agree with you somewhat and canít bring myself to ask for most of what Iím seeing (I have no list), but then nobody has to buy what is on the list
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Lists
Old 08-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my old district, teachers are not allowed to ask parents for anything...
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where do you see these lists? This practice sounds way over the top
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree. These are things the teacher wants, not needs. I will not make one. I can teach with the curriculum my district provides. If I want cutesy stuff I need to buy it myself. I think it's making us look bad.

Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh my goodness Iím so glad Iím not the only one who thinks this. Three teacher friends have posted lusts and theyíre all...decor. Two for ďtheme daysĒ (I donít know a better word) and the other for decor and stuff. Thatís nice that you want those things and maybe fun but mostly theyíd be used for a day each year at most. If DDs teacher posted a need for books or supplies, Iíd happily order. Iím being judgey.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Amazon List
Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our community has started one (I posted on PT about it recently). I shared a list and it has been fully funded. I asked for books that correlate to our science standards, pencils, glue, etc. I only asked for things that the students would use. I greatly appreciated everyone that donated.
I also went through and purchased items for several teachers. It was fun.
cdeteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Like Juliet, we are not allowed to post a supply list or ask for supplies in my low-income district. If a parent asks, we can suggest paper towels, wipes, hand sanitizer, and tissues only.

I agree. Those amazon lists are way over the top!

Last edited by jov; 08-04-2019 at 05:14 PM..
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Thought I
Old 08-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

was the only one who was bothered by this. I have seen some lists that are asking for very expensive chairs, decor etc. One teacher friend keeps dropping her list every chance she gets...... ďMorning! I havenít received ó- yet! Iíd really like before school starts!Ē

I just canít make a list and ask for things that are wants instead of needs. Itís great that teachers are helping teachers. I just think itís gone over the top.
postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have experience with teachers using Amazon wish lists. I never have seen that! I would certainly draw the line at things that aren't supplies if they are sending the link out to parents.

Are teachers funding one another? That's what this thread makes me think.

eta: I hadn't seen post teacher's post before I posted (don't know how I didn't)-- someone really keeps posting her list and reminders?? WTH? Where is all of this happeneing?

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Facebook
Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Itís on Facebook. I was invited to join a closed group. I keep seeing #clearthelists

Some are asking for supplies. I guess Iím lucky where I teach to have these supplies available. Iím being a little judgy. I believe it started as teachers gifting other teachers. It just blew up! Some lists Iíve seen are small and ask for books for the classroom. Which I think is great! Others are long and ask for all sorts of things.

Renea

Old 08-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A friend of my son teaches in an inner-city school. She asked for pencils, erasers, spiral notebooks and other basic supplies through an Amazon link. I gladly sent some to her through Amazon and she and her coworker were grateful. No one forces anyone to make a contribution. It seems like a good thing to do when you know the students have needs and the teachers have very limited personal funds.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Needs
Old 08-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Iím so glad you were able to gift those needs. I really believe it is so wrong that teachers have to fund their own classrooms. Yes, some of these teachers are asking for supplies. We are lucky to have been adopted by a church. They help out so much.

There are just a few that I have seen that are taking advantage of this movement.

SubMan

Old 08-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Many of my FaceBook friends that are teachers are posting links to their Amazon wish lists. A few others are seeking donations for flexible seating, books for classroom library, and a classroom set of ChromeBooks.

I haven't bothered to look since the end of summer is very tight financially for me. Most districts won't pay me until the middle of October for the few days in August and all of September.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 08-04-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

People I know have the Amazon wish list as well as asking people to send in $10.00 per student to supply a student with a Scholastic book each month.
brownbear is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think it's truly awful that classrooms are funded inequitably and that some teachers don't have basic supplies. Having said that, if a teacher friend was working in a district where that was case or where I could purchase and send the teacher a book for their classroom library, I"d be willing to do so since I think it helps. It's kinda like at BTSN, I'll sometimes make a pitch for hand sanitizer or tissues or something along those lines.
Just went back to look at a former colleague's list and decided, no, I will not be purchasing a 3 foot tall inflatable giraffe or a women's hallowe'en party swing dress with petite bat spider embroidery (among other options).
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

Mines mixed...
Old 08-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

truthfully, yeah I have a mixture. Not necessarily decor, but I do have like beanbags, flexible seating options, etc on my list. Stuff that I want, I don't NEED right now, and if I have money I can get it myself later. I also have pencils, glue sticks, books, and other necessary supplies. My school is extremely low income and I've been told that the students rarely bring supplies. The office doesn't really supply them either. I don't expect my list to be covered, but I throw it out there just to see.
soleil00 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 08-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

A young teacher posted in our ďWhatís Happening in (Our Town)?ĒFB group for large donations to her classroomís Scholastic books. I was rather taken aback at the request on our townís page. None of the towns in our area would be considered in need of classroom supplies (fortunately).

On the other hand I tutor for a group that finds transitional housing for those in need and I donated a classroom size set of composition books, colored pencils, and dry erasers. The backpacks had already been purchased by the group.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote