Help

The VENT

Just Venting - New School/District

>

PeaceLoveRun

Just Venting - New School/District
Old 08-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got hired at a new district that does everything by teams. I can't do anything without getting permission from the team and having us all do it. I wanted to rearrange the daily schedule a little bit so that it flows better for me and I was told I can't. So basically, I am spending my entire day spreading out centers with other subjects thrown in between. I can't do my own newsletter. I can't do my own back to school powerpoint (theirs does not look good at all). I have to do homework their way. I was even told I had to sign up for the same professional development options as my team. School starts next week and not all of my furniture is there so I can't set up my room. I won't have my own curriculum, I have to share because they didn't order enough for my class. I am kicking myself every second for taking this job!!

Last edited by PeaceLoveRun; 08-06-2019 at 06:07 PM..
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Sounds like a challenge
Old 08-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry for your situation. I would probably have a lot of trouble with that approach because I'm pretty independent.

It sounds like a bit of a mm-hmm year, and then close your door...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't work well in those types of environments. I hope it gets better and you find some ways you can be more flexible within that structure. I'm sorry- that sounds really frustrating!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position but I am just wondering if you knew this when you accepted the job? I would think something this important should have come up in an interview. (Although it HAS been awhile since I have had to interview so maybe things have changed?)

I agree with PP, sounds like a shut your door and do your thing as much as possible, kind of year.

Good luck!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-07-2019, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would drive me crazy too. All our grades have three classes. There are some things we do the same and plenty that we don't. There are some grades that do more of the stuff that's the same and others that do very little. I'm sorry you're stuck with this. Hopefully you can close your door and quietly do it your own way.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Plc
Old 08-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was aware of the PLC and planning together but I had no idea that it would take all the creative part out of my day. I've worked with grade level teams before and taught the same things, but we always just taught the same lessons independently.
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would still try to do your own thing as much as possible. So, for example, there is a grade level newsletter. You can also send an Room ___ Newsletter. I'm wondering if anyone would even know, unless a parent said something.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I'm also
Old 08-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

a very independent person and I'm in a team of 4 where everything has to be the same. We give the same assessments, do the same activities, and have the same scheduling for everything. I hate it most days. I'm thinking that next time I'm job hunting I'm going to look for something that's not PLC and team dominated
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote