Was not notified of schedule change and found out on my own my classes had changed: - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Was not notified of schedule change and found out on my own my classes had changed:

>

eurohistory

Was not notified of schedule change and found out on my own my classes had changed:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been teaching for 7 years, my first day back for my 8th year was yesterday. I signed my contract for this coming school year last May when I was notified via Email and with several conversations with my immediate supervisor (who retired at the end of the year) that I was to teach AP Euro (4 sections) and on-level US (2 sections), which is the exact same schedule I had last year.

Yesterday, (still no students until next Wednesday) I just happened to log on to our attendance website to check my rosters (to see how gargantuan my class sizes are) and discovered completely on my own that Iím teaching AP European History and World History and NOT U.S. Meaning I found out on my own what I was teaching, and never at any point all summer long was I notified that my schedule had been changed. So hypothetically, if I had waited until next week to check my rosters, I could have found out the day before or the first day of school I was teaching something totally different than what I thought I was. And to top it off, I'm department head. And I didn't even know what I was teaching.

Long story short with admin is that they say there had to have been a miscommunication and they kind of blamed it on my previous, now retired supervisor for not notifying me, because, according to them, he was tasked to. I spoke to my retired assistant principal over the phone (who I really liked) and he said and I quote, ďthatís a f'ing (but he didn't abbreviate) lieĒ that he had never heard anything about my classes being changed. He later went on to tell me that he doesn't think I should work for this guy, and that from his two years of working with him (the principal was an assistant with my retired supervisor and he was promoted to head principal this year). He called him immature over and over, and really let him have it. It was a very damning statement.

So I resigned this morning at 7 a.m. and was forced to wait until 3:30 to speak with my superintendent. A lot of guilt trips about abandoning students, etc... which only made me angrier (internally), like the students hadnít crossed my mind. I was told several times to sleep on it, and don't make an impulsive decision, etc...

They basically begged me to wait until Monday and I told them Iíd think about it over the weekend, but right now I have zero plans of changing my mind. Iíve talked to a lot of people (family/friends/girlfriend) and theyíve been supportive, but Iíd like an unbiased internet opinion.

(I like parentheses I guess)

eurohistory is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Try negotiating.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Turn the tables around before you officially resign. That way you can have the upper hand in the situation.

Tell them you'll stay if (and only if) they promise not to keep you in the dark in the future. Tell them you didn't appreciate the last minute "surprise."

If they have a problem with it then it's completely on them. Then you won't look the bad guy here for pulling out at the last minute.

Hell, they may even respect you because you're displaying you're so passionate about the content you teach that you're willing to quit right on the spot if you don't get to teach it.

Using a little reverse psychology could be beneficial in this situation.

Last edited by subasaurus; 08-09-2019 at 10:56 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

Difficult Situation
Old 08-09-2019, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So once you resign you will have no job, right? Do you think you will be able to land a new job within days? I think asking the admin to be considerate in the future and them telling you they will is just a ploy. Of course they will say they will be considerate since the kids come in next week and they do not want to run mad finding your replacement the very last minute.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-10-2019, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd get out of there . Your treatment is a sign of things to come. These type of admin do not care about people. They care about bodies in seats with a body up front to babysit all day. This body count means money . Sloppy authoritarian management doesn't magically go away because you threatened to resign.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

You have a lot to think about
Old 08-10-2019, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it is horrible that you found out about these changes on your own, and this close to the beginning of school. Your principal does sound immature. It would have been nice if he had accepted responsibility and then asked what he could do to help you make the change (excused from staff development, materials). They have put you in a hard position.

Have you taught World History before? Would it be an easy transition? Would the previous World History teacher have lessons and materials that they would be willing to share?

I would be wary of quitting a job where you have 7 years on seniority and are the department head. You may not be able to easily walk into something similar.

If you change your mind by Monday have a list of items that you would need- time to work with the previous World History teacher. Money to get supplies. Time to review the World History curriculum and standards. I am sure you can think of other reasonable requests.

Good luck!

rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I agree with Anna
Old 08-10-2019, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If this is how the future looks for you: no respect, lack of communication, flat out lies...it's only going to get worse.

For the last 3 years at my previous job, administration just kept getting worse and worse. Each year I kept asking myself why I put up with it, and this year I did something about it. I do not regret resigning, even though I lost all my seniority (20+ years), sick days (150+), etc., because I am out of that sh1tshow and I'm in a new district that I'm excited about.

If your gut says leave, follow that instinct!

I do wonder, though, do you have another job lined up? Do you have a way to make money until you have a job? That is my only concern for you.

Good luck!!
SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-10-2019, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that that situation totally stinks. But as others asked, do you have a job lined up? Do you need health insurance? You probably won't easily find another job for this school year. If finances and health insurance are an issue you probably need to stay. If not, then you could go.

In some states breaking your contract means you pay a penalty fee and/or lose your license for a year or so. You need to check into that too.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thoughts
Old 08-10-2019, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I assume you will be looking for another job. Yes, I agree you should have been notified about the change, but you were not.

Before quitting, think about what kind of references you are going to get because you left this employer so close to the beginning of the school year over not being notified about a subject area change. I don't think your references will be good.

Having been an elementary teacher, I envy the fact that you have two preps per day. On a good year, I had six reading preps, three spelling preps, a social studies prep, a science/health prep, two math preps, and a written language prep...fourteen preps per day. High school and elementary are definitely different worlds.

Last edited by ConnieWI; 08-10-2019 at 04:12 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

JDB

This seem risky...
Old 08-10-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As a secondary social studies teacher myself, I know how rare it is to find a job teaching this subject. The supply of social studies teachers is way more than the demand. It becomes even more challenging after you have a few years of service. as they can hire someone just out of college for much cheaper.

If I were you, I would rethink resigning until you can get another job.
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-10-2019, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I gotta tell you in my district they can contractually change your placement and give you any class youíre qualified to teach. So, yeah, not communicating stinks but they can do it.

As for threatening to quit, theyíd tell you not to let the door hit you on the way out because history teachers are a dime a dozen and everyone wants to teach AP (how many are qualified is a different story).

Go in, use the non communication as leverage, put on your big boy
pants and deal with it. Most of us are dealing with way worse from admin.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

eurohistory

Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-10-2019, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Financially, I'm not concerned, I'm fortunate enough to be economically sufficient for a while even without a job.

The conversation I had with my retired former supervisor was very telling to me, I worked with him for 3 years (I taught 3 other years in another school in-district) and I was really surprised to hear him speak so vehemently against him.

I do have good references, this will be my 4th principal in 7 years at this district and I know at least two of them, because I've already asked, will give me excellent references.

Another reason IS the dysfunction of the World History group, it's literally two teachers who really don't like each other (for events that happened outside of school and for very personal reasons) and the admin is sticking them together, even though I think there could literally be a physical issue if they work together. And I'm supposed the be the 3rd guy in that mini-department. Plus, frankly, even though I like those guys individually, they aren't teachers I can lean on to help me through.

I have taught that class before and really, really disliked it, for a number of reasons, and I had spoken to my previous supervisor about that several times, which is why he was so angry, because he knows if he had heard that my schedule was being changed, he'd have let me know.

eurohistory

Old 08-10-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I gotta tell you in my district they can contractually change your placement and give you any class youíre qualified to teach. So, yeah, not communicating stinks but they can do it.

As for threatening to quit, theyíd tell you not to let the door hit you on the way out because history teachers are a dime a dozen and everyone wants to teach AP (how many are qualified is a different story).

Go in, use the non communication as leverage, put on your big boy
pants and deal with it. Most of us are dealing with way worse from admin.
I totally understand they can change your schedule, it's happened to be before on two separate occasions. But, they didn't tell me. But, what they can't do, per my contract is change my schedule and not notify me, which they never did.

And I already did quit and asked me to wait until Monday and sleep on it. They are begging me to come back because in the state I live in, history teachers are not a dime a dozen and everyone does NOT want to teach AP around here. I live in a VERY red state.

ZipLine

Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I donít blame you for being royally ticked that your schedule was changed without warning and you were never informed. What is the reason they gave for that? Did anyone else who teaches the social sciences have a schedule change?

Honestly, while this would tick me off, I would not resign because you donít have another position lined up and social science positions are not easy to find. Your P was disrespectful (and is a liar) but I would tough it out for the year and look into other employment for 2020-21. Donít cut off your nose to spite your face.

Making quick decisions based on emotion is never a good move IMO.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-10-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I understand being ticked, and no notice to you stinks, but as Greyhound Girl said, I could be placed anywhere that I’m certified. I’m certainly not in a position to quit my job without another one lined up.

Last edited by FancyFish; 08-10-2019 at 08:29 AM..
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am surprised that you would give a resignation over a schedule change and lack of communication. I get that it's a completely different subject, and will require a lot of work. And I get that no one communicated it to you, and you had to find out by looking at class lists.

My unbiased internet opinion: Quitting just seems like a bit of an overreaction. Now that you've done it, the administration will understand how upset you are. But I'd go in on Monday and say you've decided to stay.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes, you should have been notified, but are you sure it's worth quitting over? I'm sure you can teach the new subject. Or tell them you'll stay if you can have your original schedule back. I'm not sure why it makes so much difference which history classes you are teaching. You must be qualified to teach all high school history classes. I would be thrilled to teach 2 history classes. Just think carefully if this is really worth walking away from. Why not do it for this year and see how it goes? Never trust admin when they tell you that you will be teaching a specific grade/subject. They do what works for them, not what works for you.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Do you need a job? If so, then don't quit.

Yup the blame will get 0assed on to the ones not there.

I don't know where you live but in my state they can change your classes right up until school starts, depending on enrollment.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

eurohistory

Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Do you need a job? If so, then don't quit.

Yup the blame will get 0assed on to the ones not there.

I don't know where you live but in my state they can change your classes right up until school starts, depending on enrollment.
They can change my schedule too, of course, I get that. It's that they changed it more than 2 months ago and I was not notified.

essence253

Schedule Change
Old 08-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Your P can move you to any position that you are credentialed to teach. And they can do it at any point in the year. It's not worth quitting over. Principals talk, and resigning over no notice of a change will have you labeled as inflexible.
essence253 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Check your contract
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

It is a total b*tch cake move, as a department head, administration decided to pull this on you.

I know in my kid's district, it is totally legal to what they did to you. You are fair game to teach any classes you are qualified for, and can be moved where the need is greatest.

You didn't get an entire schedule of crowd control general history, you did get AP and a I'm guessing a requirement class. If administration truly hated you, they'd sand bag you with crack monkey polka classes the whole day.

I get you are mad you were disrespected. Welcome to the world of work. Same nonsense goes on outside of education. There will always be sh*t bosses.

My two cents. If you are done with education, no harm no foul. If you are not, you put yourself behind the 8 ball. There are a zillion history teachers who would kill for a decent district. Where I live, 7 years and a department head makes you an expensive hire unless you went to school here or know someone in the district office. Bonus round, in my district no one would hire you because you flounced.

I found people not in education don't get it. They think 7 years and a department head will make it easy to get a job. It will not in a public school system, especially the way you quit. You can get a job at a charter or private, but usually it's much less money and more aggravation. You could get a job in a lower socioeconomic district, but it has it's own pile of hassles.

IF it was me, and I wasn't done with teaching, I wouldn't be so fast to quit like this. I'm not saying don't start seriously job hunting, but flouncing because the boss is sh*t is never a good look. You aren't that special like a national award winning robotics teacher or the physics professor that sends teams to national competition that wins awards. District loves dog and pony stories. They'll grovel a little to keep those people. If you dropped dead, they'd hire a 2nd year teacher and soldier on. Like said by previous posters, there is a glut of high school history teachers, and most districts look for younger and cheaper.

If you not quitting means your mental/physical health will be in the toilet by December, quit. If you have piles of money to ride out a job search and don't mind relocating, quit. You have the luxury of options. If you don't have a money buffer, and still want to teach locally, go in on Monday and see what happens. You have much less bargaining power now than you did, but you still have a little.

I'm Little Ms Scorch Earth Hill to Die on. I personally wouldn't flounce like this. It's ruins your reputation for no good pay off.

There will always be bosses that communicate like a turnip. Ride out the year, gut your expenses to bare minimum, then bail. Better to quit at the end of your contract than a flounce.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

If you have a union you may be able to get this type of admin move stopped by pushing for new classroom assignment rules. That last minute move is not allowed in the district I worked in. Teachers are formally notified in May for the following school year.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

@anna
Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My kid's district has a union, and it's has decent representation at the bargaining table. I know administration can do this nonsense here. You are hired to teach whatever your credentials allow.

DK's art teacher was pulled to teach all English classes last year, because a teacher took early retirement at the last minute. Is licensed to teach secondary English. Talk about a boot to the head. I believe the teacher is back teaching art this year.

It's all about the contract you sign.

marguerite2

Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Not an unheard of situation here. Once at the end of September they reconfigured classrooms. Building went from four of one grade to three. Least senior teacher had to change grade levels and move to another building.

In your case, it’s probably contractually legal. But, since you are department chair and were not informed, there are probably some politics involved also.

I don’t know all the ins and outs of your situation, but resigning, without a new job offer in hand, would be my last resort (and not something I’d do for a change of schedule).Would I be happy about the unanticipated change? No. But I need to pay my bills. I need a job. There are very few history/social studies openings here and dozens of candidates for each.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

That was really crappy of them to do (and to pass the blame to someone they figured was gone and couldn't defend himself). I'd be ticked, too!

That being said, I was surprised to see you had resigned in the next paragraph. Mostly because that would financially be my worst decision- but maybe your situation is very different. If you need a job, I would not quit. I would, as others have said, negotiate and state that you would like your old class back and see what happens with that. I would do the best I could with the classes that year and be looking for a different position for the following year. But that's because I can't afford to be on the job hunt at this time of the year- especially in an area that (at least in my area- and many other areas) is saturated and has few jobs available. And if I wanted to continue in education, I'd want to see what consequences this late resignation would have. Some contracts are very clear on this.

I wish you good luck as you finalize your decision. Looking forward to hearing what happens with it!

(I like parentheses, too!)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

History teachers
Old 08-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Surprised there is not a plethora of history teachers in your state. I thought there too many ss credentials everywhere.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

I am in a Red State....
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

A very red one.....and there a very few history positions. I know of only two in the entire state - and one is in a Catholic school, which prefers to hire Catholics. Actually, there are very few teaching positions left, and school starts in two weeks. I had an issue with my license, and I am now scrambling to get a job. I am dual certified and am having a huge issue in find a position.

Renea

Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Don't let your retired assistant principal sway you into quitting. He's put up with this nonsense for years but he stayed and then retired. It's too easy for him to tell you to not work for your new admin because he's immature but this is the real world and many administrators are immature and even worse. A true advisor would tell you not to resign before you had another position and also remind you that you could possibly lose your teaching license if you broke your contract. This former admin doesn't appear to be someone I would trust.

Remember: School districts have the authority to reassign teachers to any position they are certified to teach. No one likes it but that's not uncommon. Think very seriously about making a rash decision and resigning.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

renielen

Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I think he did the right thing for himself. He said he talked with his former supervisor and that he was saying things about present supervisor. Maybe former supervisor knows something that eurohistory doesn't know. Best to get out now before something happens and its harder to get out!
renielen is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

There must be a lot more to this story. Otherwise it sounds like you threw a temper tantrum over a miscommunication.

My job - and reputation - are much more important than that.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Healthyandfun

Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

The situation was poorly handled as is much in education today. Your anger is completely justified and the P probably is the one who created the situation.

My advice would be to NOT resign. Word about breaking your contract at the last minute, may precede you in a job search. Word in the education world tends to spread far and wide and quickly. Teachers love to talk. I would suggest sticking with the job and use the year to get your resume updated and get letters of recommendation to have on hand. If things get dicey with the P, then start a job search. Good luck.

Please keep us informed of your decision.
Healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Room 916

Room 916

Be careful
Old 08-10-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

You said that you have good references and, while I believe you, you need to be aware that potential employers can and will contact anyone they feel like. They are not restricted only to the references that you list. Your school and central office will be contacted. I have been on hiring committees and, believe me, I know what Iím talking about. You are burning a bridge and ruining your reputation over this. Principals talk to each other. It is such a common thing to change a teacherís schedule and/or classes. It happens very frequently. I would be very careful if I were you. You might want to reconsider. JMO

Haley23

Old 08-10-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I would never resign at this time of year without another job lined up, even for situations worse than this one. I'd be very upset as well, but what is your plan moving forward? SS jobs typically aren't easy to find, and here teachers have already started. I assume even places with later schedules can't be too far from starting. I'm also assuming you don't have things lined up to be ready to apply- such as updated letters of rec. Even if you manage to get an interview, the new school probably won't want to choose you when they call your old school and find out you resigned at the last minute over a schedule change. Honestly this gives me anxiety just thinking about it for you!

You also need to find out if there are any penalties for resigning so late. Here, it's very common for schools to withhold your last paycheck if you resign with less than 30 days notice of the new school year starting. We get paid monthly, so that's a huge chunk of money. It's not well publicized so a lot of people don't realize this is even a policy until it happens to them or someone they know. In other states, they can go after your license.

I would call back and say that you made a rash decision and that you won't leave, but you need better communication moving forward (yes, this may not actually happen- but is bad communication worth being out of a paycheck, insurance, having trouble finding another job, etc.?) Then spend this year getting your ducks in a row so you can be ready to really job hunt the right way next spring. Redo your resume, take the time to write a really good cover letter, and get updated letters of rec. Think about if there is anything you can do this year to boost your resume or make yourself stand out and reach out to any contacts you have in other districts. Then you can be ready to start looking as soon as jobs in other districts are posted next spring, and you'll have time to make a good decision.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

You are in a fortunate position, if you are financially able to resign without a job lined up. I hope the collateral damage this may cause your career is worth it. Admins talk to each other.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I think you are nuts for giving up your position. Obviously the former supervisor is bias, don't let him sway you into doing something that effects your life. I understand you have the ability to go without pay for a period of time but what happens when that time is up and you have no job? I would go in Monday & tell them you changed your mind and will stay. Try to get your original schedule back. In the mean time begin applying for other positions.

I had a bad experience leaving a school because of my pride. The grass isn't always greener.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Just Wondering
Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

What living in a ďRed StateĒ, has to do with an abundance of history teachers and teaching AP classes?
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Quote:
because in the state I live in, history teachers are not a dime a dozen and everyone does NOT want to teach AP around here. I live in a VERY red state.
So, in red states no one wants to teach history?
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

What in the world does this statement (written by Tawaki) mean:

Quote:
they'd sand bag you with crack monkey polka classes the whole day.

travelingfar

Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I agree with Sevenplus that there is more to this story than you've shared. Otherwise I can't imagine quitting a position under those circumstances.

I don't get what living in a red state has to do with the number of history teachers there.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Something similar happened to me last year. Two of our science teachers retired, one of which was the dept head. She taught chemistry. I became a teacher because I wanted to teach chemistry.

At the end of the year, I kindly said that I would like to teach chemistry if possible. For the previous four years, I had taught physics and physical science. Well I never heard anything over the summer. That is normal though.

At the end of the school year, we canít get into the computer system anymore. Iím not really sure of the reason. Well anyway, it comes the first day back and Iím sitting waiting for our institute to start and a teacher says she can finally get in. So I log in to see that I am teaching chemistry and biology.

I was extremely upset because I had not taught biology not did I want to. It had been 10 years since I last had it in college. But I am a comprehensive science major so technically I can ďteachĒ it. I wanted so badly to make a fuss about it and even thought about quitting, but I didnít.

Iím glad I didnít because I have the ideal schedule this year that does not include biology! So sometimes you might have to endure something you hate to get to something you like. Iíll admit though it was a rough year with a lot of tears and saying Iíd quit everyday.
MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

GHVFAN and Song of Joy
Old 08-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I thought exactly the same thing! I hope they answer. I really want to know!
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

About sand bagging...
Old 08-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

When you really hate someone you sand bag them, meaning you make it as miserably impossible to get any relief. Just like all water can do is rise up against a real good sand bag wall. It wants to get some relief, but it can not.

Crack monkey polka is when kids are acting up. The kids are going wild, just like an experiment on monkeys with crack. The monkey go nuts.

IF this administration really wanted to apply the thumb screws, the teacher gets a schedule from hell, with a bunch of excuses why there can't be any relief.

Administration drop the hammer on our local high school math teacher who taught AP statistics, calculus and another higher level math course. Last year he got babysitting 101. The lowest of the low and nothing but behavior issues. Used to kids sweating a 3.9, and now the biggest worry is the trash can isn't on fire.

They only reason I know this, the parents who had kids in that track really loved this teacher and were LIVID. My DK had a class across the hall from the math teacher, and on a good day it was Lord of the Flies.

sevenplus

Old 08-10-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Tawaki, the crack monkey part sounded racist to me.

eurohistory

Shortage
Old 08-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

My state was one of the ones to have a walk out in 2018, we have a well documented teacher shortage. There are social studies positions open right now all over my metro.

I would not be teaching this school year if I resign and would work in another field for a while if I donít teach.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

MY 2 cents...

Your new P sounds like an a** hat and a sniveling buck passer. Someone like that is not to be trusted.

BUT-you said you have had 4 P's in 7 years-doesn't that tell you something? Just wait for a shortish a time and "this too shall pass". Why throw away your seniority and (I am guessing ) tenure over a douche souffle who will be gone in a couple years. Its sounds like you are making a very permanent decision about a short term problem that could very easily not serve your long term interests.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

If you are in Oklahoma....
Old 08-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

There are very few jobs and there are no history positions in OKC or Tulsa. If you are in Kentucky or Arizona different story.

The teach walk out that Oklahoma made a lot of businesses ticked off, and they don't want to hire teachers. Good luck with having no job for a year or more.

LazyLake

Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Every district where I've taught has a section in the teacher contract that states that a teacher's teaching assignment/subject may be changed, even the school assignment. I've seen it happen repeatedly, even days before the school year actually starts.

I'd stay until you can secure another job somewhere else, but read the fine print in your new contract before you sign it!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

@sevenplus
Old 08-11-2019, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I'm sorry offended you. Humor changes and what is funny changes. I'm glad you called me on it, and using the word racist woke me up. I will not use the term again.

Dave Chappelle had use the phrase in his stand up, but I will stay in my own lane, and leave the comedy to the professionals.

eurohistory

That is incorrect
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

There ARE social studies positions open right now in my city, I see them listed right now. And I would work outside of education and would have no problem finding a job, due to who I know. But to act like people donít hire teachers in other positions because of the walkout is silly.

Tori58

Old 08-11-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

Yeah, if you live in an area with a teacher shortage you probably can get away with going a little prima donna and not have it sabotage your career. I guess only you know your financial situation and how much you're willing to sacrifice to make a point. I tend to agree with others, though, that even with a last-minute change in schedule, it sounds like a pretty cush position.

Tawaki I've got to admit that I laughed at the "crack monkey polka" remark, even as I raised my eyebrows a bit. "Monkey" is sort of a loaded term. It always has been and it got worse when it was used as a put-down for the Obama's so frequently. And, like many terms, it all depends on who says it. Chappelle can get away with it for the same reason that I can share "Natives be like...." jokes when some other people had best not.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Do you have a plan?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

As others have said, will you be able to support yourself in the absence of a job? I am single, so I couldn't just resign without a new opportunity waiting in the wings to make up the income. It also will be hard to get references from these people if you burn your bridges.

It definitely sounds like something slipped through the cracks. I would be inclined to keep the job, do my best with the new courses (after all, you received late notice so how could they evaluate you poorly) and look for something else. I'm not impressed that your present administration is playing the blame game, but your former administrator is not appearing unbiased and seems to have an axe to grind.

Good luck with whatever you decide. At the end of the day, you need to do what's best for you and/or your family.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I don’t much to add since so much has been said already and I’ll bet that’s what’s left is nuances (teaching situation in your area, situation at your school outside of this instance, etc.). I hope you’ll keep us updated about what happens next—-whether you get a new job or take a year off from teaching.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

It sucks you weren't notified, but most teacher contracts are with the district, and not for a particular assignment, or even school. My contract says I agree to work where I'm needed. They could move me to 8th grade math or something tomorrow. It's not my choice. You can't just go running away and quitting a job because you didn't get your way. That's incredibly unprofessional, immature, and irresponsible.

broomrider

Contract violation?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

" But, what they can't do, per my contract is change my schedule and not notify me, which they never did. "

If the district violates your contract, you have a possible labor action. Is it worth your time to contact a lawyer and explore this? Of course, it's difficult to prove a negative, but I suspect you have some emails to print out and retain on the subject.

You might also use their violation to negotiate a return to your previous assignments since you were not given any notice.

Be prepared for retaliation if you stay and do return to your previous assignments. You may not like next year's assignments which will be given to you in multiple forms of notice.

I'm wondering if you've been considering a career change over the last year or so. Your reaction might indicate a final straw was just added to an overload.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-12-2019, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

When I first read this a couple days ago, I thought you were being making a major mistake. Now that I've had a chance to think about it, my thoughts have changed.

I had some good years when I was a regular teacher, but my experiences were mostly negative. I often had to deal with nonsense similar to yours. I put up with it for as long as I did because good jobs were hard to find. My wife and I both worked and were supporting a family, and we couldn't risk losing my income.

So many teachers stick it out in one place, even when they're very unhappy, because it isn't easy to switch districts. If an experienced teacher switches, it often means a salary reduction. It really shouldn't be that way. In other occupations, workers change jobs all the time. It's quite normal for a non-teacher to work for five or more employers during his or her lifetime.

It sounds to me like you had had it. It sounds like this was the last straw. Many of us do it, but nobody should have to spend 30 or more years working under stressful conditions. If you can afford to get out, and if you have another job lined up, go for it.

Last edited by c6g; 08-12-2019 at 04:44 AM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

It's Monday....please update later when you get a chance. Curious.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

eurohistory

Turn of events
Old 08-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Major change, I was notified this morning they are creating a new position to try to keep me. It would allow me to go back to my originally communicated schedule. It would also impact a few other's in my department in a positive way, as far as limiting their preps to 1 or 2. So, things have turned out really well. Thank you all for the advice and thoughts.

broomrider

Wow!
Old 08-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

That's terrific. It's great to be wanted and to have flexible admin. Sounds like it will be good for everybody. And that's an education novelty!

Enjoy your new schedule.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

WOW! I was really not anticipating this positive update. Congratulations! I'm so glad it turned out well for you and it (in turn) benefits others. That's crazy good!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

Great update! I'm really happy for you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

Good for you! Teachers don't often get a fairy tale ending. Good luck this year.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

good deal
Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Excellent. Glad to hear it worked out. Have a great school year.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Wow! Glad to hear it turned out in your favor. You showed your hand and they folded. To me, this shows that they value you. Here's to a great year!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote