Help

The VENT

I got laid off

>

Deca

I got laid off
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a paraprofessional that got hired for one year and apparently I'm not qualified enough because of a few complaints from teachers. Apparently i should've taken a test or gotten my Associate's Degree, but it was something they could've asked me before they freaking hired me! I don't agree with the teacher's complaints either that I was messy and if I ever made a mess once I always cleaned it up. Or if they gave me feedback, I always listened. And for my "unqualified" self, they gave me a boy on the autism spectrum with behavioral disabilities which I realized by the end, I was unprepared for. I could try to get unemployment, but I don't care to stay at home so im gonna work for them in the meantime until I find a new job or they hire "qualified" people. I wish they would've told me earlier that they wanted new people before the first day of school. At this point, I just feel used. But apparently people didn't start applying until 2 weeks ago. I'm just done and fed up with it all. I feel so taken aback because my supervisor told me there was nothing wrong with feeling anxious last year, but apparently my gut feeling is right. It feels bittersweet, because I feel relieved but annoyed at the same time. I just don't see stability or job security in the teaching profession at this point. My dad has a doctorate degree, but yet schools just haven't given him tenure since I was born in the 90s for goodness sake. I just hope that my time at the school meant something.

Deca is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-14-2019, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's hard to go through. I know at my previous school, jobs for paras were always volatile---meaning very dependent upon numbers and needs of students. Other schools are different but our paras always worked with kids with the highest needs, so it would not have been unusual for you to have been placed with such a student. I know that our school system always needs good paras but finding out where you'll be is always a challenge. I hope you figure out soon the best direction to go.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Still working(
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím sorry. Iím confused. You say you were laid off, but you will continue working for them until they find someone else or you find another job?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can tell you are upset. I'm sorry this is happening, but I am also confused by the situation and some of your comments.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Depending on the state the educational requirements for aides are different; some require just a high school diploma while others an associates degree or 60 college credits. You could have been hired provisionally meaning it was expected you would earn an associates degree during your employment.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my state a paraprofessional must have either an associate's degree or 60 hours of college credits. I have no idea whether your state is the same. If you don't meet the requirements, then the district must let you go. Perhaps somebody slipped up on checking qualifications last year. Perhaps there was some sort of waiver granted to give you time to meet the requirements--or that they could hire you because there were no fully qualified applicants.

And frankly, it is not unusual for a paraprofessional to be hired to work with the sort of student you were assigned to. If you are not prepared to handle (or learn to handle) this type of student, working as a para is not the right job for you.

It does seem as if communications were not clear last spring and you were blindsided by the decision to let you go. I hope you end up in a job that is a better fit for you.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote