Primary Grades (K-2)

What grade-level

>

WackyWendy

WackyWendy

What grade-level
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi am Wendy! This is my first year of teaching. My first day of school is coming up this week. I wanted to start the school year off with some assessments, but Idk where to start. I teach second, so should I give them a 1st grade skill test, 2nd grade skill test OR both? I know they have beg of the year test and that's the type I want to use, but I don't know which one and/or at what level. I know this must sound, so wacky to most, but hey at times I am. PLEASE OH PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Thanks, Wacky Wendy

readerleader

testing
Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is something to be decided by your team or school. It depends if you want to see what skills they retained from first grade, or if you want to be able to use it to show growth at the end of the year.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote
WackyWendy

WackyWendy

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply. I honestly would like to do both. I would like to see what they retained from 1st grade and also have a running record on file as to where they started, where they will be at the middle and end of the school year. I work for a small private school, so everything falls on my shoulders, "do what you think is best" I am usually told. This is hard since it is my 1st year of teaching. I don't even have a go to assessment...don't know what to use that is of quality. I could always google one, but no I want an assessment of quality and that is why I came on this site. HELP ME SOME MORE PLEASE!!!! =)

readerleader

tests
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have a math series? if so, most have a beginning of year inventory and end of year test. Some even have a mid-point. If you don't have a series, then you really have to know what they were taught in first in order to know what they should have learned. These tests are only helpful if you are going to use them to drive instruction. If not, then just analyze tests as you give them and reteach based on what they did not master.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote