Primary Grades (K-2)

Class Show Idea on Creative Solutions

>

taiwanteach

Class Show Idea on Creative Solutions
Old 10-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I have to put on a class show in front of the whole school around 5 minutes in length under the theme of "creative solutions." The kids are in grade 2, and I'm truly grasping at straws trying to come up with a basic idea that I can build on. In the play, the characters must come up with a creative solution to a problem. There are 18 kids in the class and all must be involved. Has anyone done anything similar in the past? Ideas?

Thanks,

Last edited by taiwanteach; 10-08-2014 at 05:27 PM..
taiwanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

taiwanteach

Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kinda disappointed in all the answers. What I'm after is ideas for where to look? I've been through Caldecott prize winners, chinese folk tales, amazons most inspirational stories lists, brothers grim, and nothing has jumped out at me. Surely, someone has done a similarly themed drama show that they'd be willing to share.

kidsrterrific

Di
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Haven't been on in a week. The only thing that jumps out at me is Destination Imagination groups perform plays that solve problems. They are very "outside the box." My guess why there were no responses is that no one had any ideas. I am on my way out now but will continue to think on this.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Odyssey of the Mind might have some materials like this, although the kind of thing you're talking about is usually performed by Middle School students.

I think I might start with a well-known fairy tale and build from there. For example, perform "The Three Little Pigs" and instead of sticks, hay and bricks, they had to use butcher paper, empty milk cartons, and cardboard boxes to build their house.

Or Rapunzel still has to get out of the tower, but her hair isn't long enough so she has to find other materials.

Or kids come to school one day and there is nothing in the playground except chalk. There are no balls, jump ropes, bars or swings. Students have to ask grandparents what games they used to play with just chalk, and they rediscover hopscotch, some kind of tag with a base, or just design their own creative game.

I'll be interested to see what other great ideas there are out there.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just saw that this is your 2nd post. Welcome to PT! I hope you can find the answers you need.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

taiwanteach

Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi there. Thanks for the nudge. I'd also been thinking to get to the kids to do a Dr. Seuss theme - i.e. the narrator gives the kids 50 words to write a story and they act out the story in the style of Green Eggs and Ham....

The other ideas I was playing with was adapting Stone Soup but with more participants to the village....or possibly The Enormous Turnip, however, these have already been taken by other teachers....

Songs of Joy has some great ideas. I'll give it some rumination time his morning and see what I come up with... I was shooting an original story but since plundering the library, numerous lists of 'positive messages' stories, I've still not found anything suitable.