Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Ten Frames

>

vlesteve

Ten Frames
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am curious how many people utilize the ten frame technique. If so, do you stick the dots in order on the frame or in random places in the frame? What have you found successful. If you do not use them, are you familiar with them or do you not want to use it?

Thanks!

vlesteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I use 10 frames a lot
Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in my room. When I teach students to represent numbers using 10 frames, I teach them to fill them in in order (top row left to right then bottom row left to right). We use this method as well when we do addition. For subtraction, they are to remove the dots in the reverse order bottom row first starting at the right.
I also use them as subitizing activities and they are filled in in a random order as well as in the usually order.
I remember reading somewhere, that you want the students to recognize that if the top row is all filled in there are 5 and they don't need to count each one, they can just count on from 5. With my subitzing 10 frames I have some that are all filled in on the top row to show numbers greater than 5 and some that the dots are totally random. Kids seem to be more successful at determining the correct number when the first row is completely filled in.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use 10-frames as one component of what we do. I had some well-used, small, magnetic white boards and turned them into 10-frames. I used electrical tape to make the grid. I use round magnets for the dots.

I vary whether I place the dots in a random fashion or a linear fashion. I want them to understand that it doesn't matter where the dots are placed, the quantity remains the same until I add or remove dots. I want them to begin to see patterns of combinations. I also want them to begin to see how they can move pieces into formations that are easier to track.

Sometimes I use all one color of dots. Sometimes I use equal (or nearly equal) number of two colors. Sometimes I use random quantities of colors. It's interesting to hear the children describe what they see. They begin to piece together the combinations. When they are strong with one 10-frame we will add a second 10-frame for larger numbers.

Currently my Pre-K 5s and Kindergarten classes are working with 10-frames. I will introduce my Pre-K 4s to 5-frames soon; they've needed extra time to adjust to school routines.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Ten Frame
Old 10-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As pp said, I initially teach students to fill in the 10 frame in order from left to right, top to bottom so they can understand ten frames.

When I teach subitizing, I place the dots in random order so they see various combinations.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do like the others do. I really like ten frames and find them helpful for kids to really get the concept of "10 and some more".

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Martysgirl26

Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use ten frames with them in order for my students who do not get "how to make 10". I also use two diferent colors counters or cubes. Some of my students will draw out the ten frame to use to aide them to solve a problem.
Martysgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Ten Frame
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can someone post one? A template?
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 10-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are several freebies on TPT.
You can google "ten frame template".
Math Resources. Scroll down for 5 frame and 10 frame links.
Ten Frames. Pinterest board.
Double Ten Frame

You can also use Word or other word processing program: insert a table that has 5 columns and 2 rows. You can adjust the sizing of the cells and the line weight of the borders.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

To Elmsprings
Old 10-13-2014, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I made you some ten frames. They're over on the First Grade board.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

10 frames in order
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I insist my students fill in left to right (reinforce reading whenever possible) and do one row of 5 before starting on the next (reinforce the instant recognition or referencing of 5, 5 plus one, 5 plus two, etc.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also insist that my students fill ten frames in order (top left to right, lower rower left to right, just like when we read). I use them to practice how to make 10 (or double ten frames to make 20) and for addition and subtraction. I want my students to recognize that when the top row is full it's five, or when the whole frame is full it's ten, so that they are counting on from there rather than one at a time. Many of my students find the visual very helpful.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote