Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

2nd Grade Lesson Ideas??

>

jersey09

2nd Grade Lesson Ideas??
Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am currently doing my field placement with 2nd grade, in a few weeks I have to do my first lesson and will be observed. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do?? I am so nervous, and I want to do something that will keep the students engaged and really into it! I only have to teach for about an hour so...ideas????

jersey09 is offline   Reply With Quote

bella1607

2nd Grade Lesson Idea
Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have an interactive whiteboard, I would do something with that. When I did my field placement with 2nd Grade, I taught a few reading lessons, and my students loved using the Promethean. One lesson was reading comprehension skills, specifically sequencing. I had some pictures from the book, and some sentences from the book up on the Promethean. The students dragged the pictures and sentences to put it in order. They absolutely loved this lesson since is was so interactive and it got them up and moving a little.
bella1607 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovemyjob2nd

2nd grade thoughts
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love working with either the Promethean board (Smartboards, ActivBoards, etc.), but also making sure your kids are engaged in SOMETHING is key. Remember, there's going to be Little Lohnny somewhere in the room who is probably going to be paying more attention to you observer than to you, so the more engaging the activity, the better!

My kids really enjoy little quick formatives, like Think-Pair-Shares, or TOTD notes. Ask them a question about your lesson at hand, let them do a think pair share for 1-2 minutes, then have them share with you some of their thoughts. It might accidentally drive you off lesson plan however if someone gives you really great information that you can't let go of.... Or just model putting that really great idea of theirs in the parking lot (sticky note somewhere special that you really WILL come back to at another time).

What subject area are you teachings? If it's ELA, pull your standards and your schools reading curriculum. See what an appropriate lesson is for this time of year. If it's math, there are sooooo many fun math game activities you can teach in preparation for later use in a center activity.
Lovemyjob2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

teach738

Ideas!
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could teach common nouns versus proper nouns, subject/predicate, money, or time. Some ideas you could use to teach common nouns versus proper nouns, subject/predicate are to use whiteboards and Smartboards. For the math concepts, you can use manipulatives in addition to whiteboards and Smartboards. Creating a Smartboard lesson for any lesson is engaging to the students because the students will be participating in the learning. You can also use every-pupil response after a student has come to the board to complete a task on the Smartboard.
teach738 is offline   Reply With Quote