Kathy Richardson and Math Workshop

>

AMK288

AMK288

Kathy Richardson and Math Workshop
Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I am new to teaching first grade and I am struggling to find meaningful independent Math work for my students. Workbook pages aren't working for most the class (hard to read/complete for my lower kids, too easy for my higher kids), plus I don't think workbook pages are the best ways to build numeracy skills and number sense in young children. I am looking for hands on, differentiated, and independent!

I have started reading lots on the topic of Math Workshops- Math Stations by Debbie Diller, Math Exchanges, Guided Math, etc, and then finally found Kathy Richardson's books on Developing Number Concepts. I read Book 1 and 2 and am loving it! I love the idea of having Math Workshop mirror Reading Workshop- lesson, independent work, partner work, share. It makes sense to set kids up with individual math boxes full of materials for them to use to complete the independent activities Richardson describes, and then switch to partner games or problem solving. While kids are working, you can pull small groups.

My question is this- Have any k-2 teachers tried something similar, with students working on Kathy Richardson's activities independently? Is the upkeep manageable? What's the noise level like? Do students stay engaged and on task? Are you actually able to pull small groups? Any insight would be much appreciated!

seashell

amc math
Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

hi there This is our first year doing this math . We use it for math small groups. We also do Math investigations. We have math for 1hour and half. This is hard for K. The math groups have not started yet, We are still teaching the games and how to manage materials.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use many of the Kathy Richardson activities in my K Math Stations ( Debbie Diller structure). I teach most activities to the whole class before releasing to centers/stations.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught in the same small district as Kathy Richardson many years ago in the early 80's. She taught us all in a workshop when the first edition of her book came out. I have had that book for many years!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use many of the Kathy Richardson activities in my K Math Stations ( Debbie Diller structure). I teach most activities to the whole class before releasing to centers/stations.

Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
AMK228

AMK228

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the feedback! How do the kids do independently with the materials after you have introduced them whole group? Do you find the upkeep of introducing new activities manageable? Any details on the logistics of this would be GREAT! Thanks again!