Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

2nd grade setting...

>

MsCalGal

2nd grade setting...
Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to create a 2nd grade setting! I have taught the 1st grade for a couple of years and even then I was unsure if my classroom set-up was age appropriate. I don't want to make my classroom too, "babyish." I want to make sure I have the correct things on the wall, both fun and academic wise. For example: blends, verbs, parts of speech?????? I want my classrooms décor to scream 2nd grade vs. baby land, especially since I will have my same class as last year(same students in the same class). I don't want my students to feel they haven't advanced, due to the above, so I want to revamp my class as much as possible (I hope I am making sense).

MsCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Gibbz

Resources
Old 08-19-2014, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How exciting!! It sounds like you're feeling a little stressed. Relax it will be Ok. I would recommend looking at pinterest. You can find tons of ideas there. Also, maybe use the standards for 2nd grade as a guide to lead you on what to put in your room. In my opinion, in the end it's your relationship with the students that will matter most. Have a great year.
Gibbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Charts on the wall will come as you teach each unit. We will be learning about parts of speech and will review blends, but that's not what my students will see when they return. Until then, a calendar corner, number line, alphabet, and welcome back to school BB would be fine. 2nd graders like to see both easy and more difficult chapter books in the class library. If you're into animals, they'd love a class pet. They still like manipulatives, especially things like legos, marble run, tanagrams and zoobs.

Maybe you could remove the things you think are baby land and follow the lead of your students when they return.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

7 & 8 year olds can surprise you at what they like or expect to see. When I've had students over two (or more) successive years, they would walk in the first day and describe the upcoming year based on what they had done previously. They had "traditions" that I didn't know they remembered.

As you add your teaching charts and student art work, the whole classroom will reflect who the students are this year and what they are studying. Enjoy!
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote