Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Desperate Help Needed with Science Lesson Plan

>

Hope4sy2013

Desperate Help Needed with Science Lesson Plan
Old 08-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have not taught science in several years and am now teaching at a school where I am responsible for writing 2nd grade science unit lesson plans every week. We do not have any resources in our classroom to speak of, save for the science textbook itself.
I am responsible for teaching the state science standards in a designated time frame.

I have not taught science in several years. When I read the standards I draw a blank, and the textbook does not address all of these standards.
Because I am crunched for time to have something by this Monday am, I feel to much pressure to think clearly and do my best for this week. I would like to choose the easiest objective and begin there, keeping in mind that I may not even have what I need in my classroom, and may have to purchase somethings. If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, etc.., I would be most grateful. Here are some of the objectives for this quarter.
-Formulate questions about objects and organisms and predict outcomes in order to conduct a simple investigation.
-Compare, sort, and group objects according to two or more attributes.
-Use simple tools to gather information (rulers, thermometers, scales, hand lenses, microscopes, balances, clocks) to gather information. (There are substandards/objectives listed under this one for teaching length, capacity, weight,and time.)
-Create line graphs, bar graphs, and pictographs to communicate data.
-Infer that science investigations generally work the same way in different places.
-

Last edited by Hope4sy2013; 08-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention grade level taught
Hope4sy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Scientific method?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kids love experimenting. Could you begin with the first objective you have listed and introduce the scientific method? You could walk them through some simple experiments. The first day introduce the steps to the method; the next day, model an experiment with their input, then try one in pairs or guide them through one. We do one similar to this
http://thehomeschoolscientist.com/gu.../#.U_kP8PldWiA
We talk about "the strongest shape" and they conduct a similar experiment to find out that the triangle is strong!
Are you on pinterest? I haven't looked, but I am guessing there are some ideas on there as well.
This will get you started and then you will buy some time while you flesh out the other objectives.
slg is online now   Reply With Quote

nicolelouise

Tawana
Old 08-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These objectives could probably be included in a mini unit about nature around us, investigating everyday objects in nature, such as shells, rocks or leaves.

Compare, sort, and group objects according to two or more attributes.

Have the students sort leaves or rocks by size and color; or texture and shape.

Create line graphs, bar graphs, and pictographs to communicate data.

You could follow up the observations by having students create bar graphs or pictographs to show how many of each type of object was included in their sorting.

Students could also use hand lenses to closely observe the objects from the sorting activity.
Students could make predictions about the weight of objects: How many shells would be needed to balance a rock? Then use a balance scale to conduct an investigation to find how the prediction relates to the actual results.

Also, look at the NSTA website. There may be some free information or resources.
nicolelouise is offline   Reply With Quote