Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Students not finishing work

>

emgirl

Students not finishing work
Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a pretty good class but I have about 4 kiddos who cannot finish their work. Two are more than capable and the other two talk too much. What do you do when kids don't finish work? I made two stay in from recess since they were talking but normally I send it home. Just curious...

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Finishing
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Offer a choice: would you like to stay focused and finish it now or during (pick a specials time).

Don't offer to let them do it during recess or as home work.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Suggestions
Old 08-29-2014, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When you wrote classroom rules and practiced classroom procedures with your students, there should have also been rewards and consequences attached to them.

My consequence for not completing assigned tasks in the classroom or take-home work/homework are to use recess to do so, or to each lunch in the classroom and complete the work. If such behavior continues over several days, I contact the parents via email or a phone call.

I also keep very brief by informative documentation so I know the assignment, expectations for completing it, time allowed to complete it, time it took for the child to complete it, and consequence for not completing it in the time allowed. Then I have good solid info to share with parents during the email/phone call or at conferences.

I also talk with last year's teacher to see if there is a history of this behavior. I ask how the teacher handled the problem so the child gets a consistent message. Previous teachers have often solved the problem the year before or have an idea of something that might work.

Students know my expectations and procudures from the very beginning of the year...loss of recess and contacting parents. (We are not allowed to pull students from special classes because these too are part of the curriculum.)

You might also want to break the assigned work into smaller sections. Ask each student who is having trouble completing classroom tasks how long he/she thinks it will take him/her to complete that section. Then set a timer. Check back at the end of that time to see what was accomplished. Praise, praise, praise and then set a new goal.

Some of your students may not be able to complete larger tasks and need the task made smaller. If there are twenty multiplication problems, maybe they only have to complete half of the problems to show you they understand the task. You do not want to discourage students, and shortening the task might be just the answer to get them to see progress completing it.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote