Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Help with Very Low K Student (Maybe DD)

>

Lillybabe

Help with Very Low K Student (Maybe DD)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am seeking ideas to help with a child who is very low in kindergarten. He is unable to write his name or even any letters. He can only identify one letter in the alphabet (the first letter in his name), can not count to 3, can not identify any numbers, etc. We think he may have some sort of developmental delay. He is very small, has trouble with speech, behavior issues and almost looks and acts like he has Downs but has not been diagnosed. It's too be assumed if he had Downs a doctor would have diagnosed him years ago. His teacher and the rest of us are at our wits end. I teach Title I Reading and so provide K support as much as I can. I have been looking for any sorts of interventions to try with him. I'm just not overly familiar with preschool level interventions. I initially thought of Sound Partners but I think it would be too challenging for him at this point. Any suggestions? I got a letter puzzle for him that says the letter and a word it starts with when you put each letter into the puzzle. He likes it and can actually match the letters independently even if he can't tell you any of the letters afterward.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know of a situation where 'something' wasn't diagnosed, but you'd think it would have been!
If the family goes to a clinic which runs folks through like cattle, it might now have ever been considered.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The letter factory dvd by leapfrog is fantastic. There are also tons of great apps if you have access to an ipad. If he is able to match letters that's a good start - at least he can discriminate. My kids love making letters with playdough or wikki stix, or using letter stamps to make words or the alphabet. Right now I have my lowest kids cutting letters out of magazines and matching them to a letter printed on a sheet of paper.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had kindergarteners who were this "low" when school started. No preschool or help at home. Most of them pick things up after a while in school. If he's been in preschool and they taught the letters, name writing and counting, I'd check with his parents and see if the teachers ever said anything. I'd ask what was taught. Right now, most schools won't do much in the way of intervention as school just started. They will want to give him some more time. It's not too early for a speech referral, however. Get that done. Down syndrome is usually diagnosed at the hospital. (A friend of mine is called as soon as a Down syndrome baby is born to start working with parents.) So that might be out. Do the parents have concerns? I would think alphabet games, cards, making playdough letters, tracing his name in a salt box, counting blocks, singing the abc's, might be something you could do with him. I would start with his name and its letters and go from there. Get a baseline, and check him later to show any progress and be ready to refer him ASAP. Good luck.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 09-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Try starting with just name activities and letters in his name.
Then see if he gets onene with letters in his name

Start like you would with a two year old with silly rhymes, colors, ect.

It always sounds easy when it is someone else's kid.

k28 is offline   Reply With Quote