Primary Grades (K-2)

I need help! I need an advice!

>

coco13

I need help! I need an advice!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a student teacher in first grade and I have a child who never wants to listen or pay attention. She never wants to do her work either. She gets easily distracted too. My teacher and I always have to repeat things to her. We already moved her up a level, meaning she has been on the warning spot on the behavioral chart. We have also been raising our voices, but not in a mean way, just to get her attention because she is not following directions. After all this, her behavior still hasn't changed. What are other things I can do for the child to listen or pay attention? Her behavior is a everyday thing. Please Help!!

coco13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Hmmm....
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried some sort of reward system?

Have you been able to talk with her kindergarten teacher? She/he may be able to add some insights/ suggestions? What worked well with her last year?

I wonder.....Has her hearing been checked?
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After you give a direction, have you asked the child to repeat it back to you? Then ask the child, "Show me how you..."

Can you break the task down into smaller parts? When one part is finished, positively reinforce the effort. Then add another part.

Have you tried moving the student close to you?

When working with a pencil/paper assignment, have you tried pointing on her paper to where her eyes should be looking? Positively reinforce when she attends to where you are pointing.

Is there some type of action/movement that you can pair with the lesson that reinforces your objective?

Consider that some children have difficulty with hearing, vision, and/or processing. The child may need to be screened.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

behavior plan
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would suggest choosing one goal and developing a behavior plan with a motivating reward. Talk with her about the plan and how you want to help her listen, follow directions and complete her work. Ask her what types of things she would like to earn or do (time to draw, computer time, play with Legos, candy, etc.)

For example, if you focus on following directions- every time she follows directions she earns a tally, star, chip, whatever. Every time she gets to 5 tallies, she gets her reward. If she easily earns 5, great! Then bump it up to 8 tallies for a reward.

If she has attention problems, this may help her be more aware and accountable.

Other things I've tried- timers, therabands tied to chair legs, wiggle cushions, fidgets (some kids need to move a lot and this helps them pay attention).
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

coco13

Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for your advice! Yes, when we go to the carpet, she sits right in front of the chalkboard. When she does her paper assignments, I recently have pointed to where her eyes should be looking at. It works!

Thanks again!

coco13

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your advice! Yeah I am going to try and do the rewarding system! Like you said do the tallies!