Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Portland, Oregon or bust

>

dav5fam

Portland, Oregon or bust
Old 06-04-2018, 05:32 AM

Good morning to those who live in or near Portland! My niece just graduated (Masterís degree) and is taking an internship near this area. She is looking for a nice apartment to live in that is reasonably priced!!!! She will be getting living expense help from her parents (of five and grandparents of twelve) until she gets a job! So.... help me out, please.

Will you give me the name of apartment complexes and the nicest place to live near that area.

Thank you much.

dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Portland
Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Portland is a large area, the city has a population of 650K and the metro area has a population of 2.5M so we're going to need more specific info to be of any help There are literally hundreds of apt complexes in the area. Is she going to be working in the downtown area or in the suburbs (some big companies are headquartered in the outlying areas). What is considered reasonable rent? Portland is less expensive than San Francisco but more expensive than Kansas City. If the company that she is going to be working for is big enough that they have a relocation department, that would be your best source of housing information.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM

That's a really steep request without specific information

Have your niece try out this site: http://www.city-data.com/forum/portland/. She can put in information about the price range and the areas she needs and get some feedback that way.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Thank you
Old 06-04-2018, 04:04 PM

I didnít realize that the request wasnít so easy! Yikes! I will get more details and use the website! Thank you for responding!
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Portland is divided into 4 geographic areas-SW, NW, SE, and NE. When I lived there, SW and NW were much preferred over the others (but more expensive too). Other landmarks that divide are the highways.

vttraveler is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-04-2018, 05:03 PM

There's also N; Portland has 5 quadrants. (Yes, I know that isn't what quadrant means, but it wasn't my idea!)

I strongly recommend being on the same side of the river (E or W; N counts as part of E) as the internship. Traffic is getting unbearable, and the bridge is always the worst part.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I strongly recommend being on the same side of the river (E or W; N counts as part of E) as the internship. Traffic is getting unbearable, and the bridge is always the worst part.
Grav_def has it right - traffic has become insane with all of the people moving here... When you have a more specific location about her internship the info we can give about neighborhoods will be better. Even within specific areas (NE, SE, etc.) there can be a wide difference in types of neighborhoods, livability, etc.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Walking distance to a MAX line would help too. My sister used to walk to the MAX but now she lives further out in a different direction and catches a bus to get on the MAX. Her company provides transportation passes, but not free parking.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote