Help

The VENT

Co-worker disciplining my students

>

kindiesarefun

Co-worker disciplining my students
Old 11-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, everyone. I am a veteran teacher with a good reputation and generally very good classroom management. My class this year is pretty rough--not terrible, just very young, busy and active. Lately when I walk my class down the hall one of my co-teachers will comment on the noise, untidy line, etc. She has come out of her room to speak to my class when I am standing right there! Recently as I was walking (backwards) at the front of my line she came out of nowhere and pulled one of my kids out of line and sent her to the back because she was jumping instead of walking. Now I don't let my kids go nuts in the hallway but if they are hopping in line I let it go. These are four year olds I'm talking about!
I know I need to say something to her....but I don't like conflict and am struggling to find the right words. Any advice, besides, "Hey, lady, back off my kids!"?

kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-15-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a common thing in my school. It is very common for other teachers to give reminders and give praise to other classes in the school. We are a school community and feel that everyone is there to help the students.

Sometimes those reminders from others can help the students see that everyone is expecting the same behavior from all students and they are responsible for their behavior no matter what adult is around.

I do understand that this may not be the culture in other schools.

If it is something that is really bothering you, I would approach is from a problem solving perspective -

" I noticed that you are concerned about the behavior of my students, what can we do to help so you don't have to interrupt your day to address their behaviors?"
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-15-2019, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would definitely recommend talking to her when the students aren't around. Maybe you could say something like, "hey, thanks for your help with student x earlier today, but I would prefer to handle hallway behavior on my own. Sometimes I am ignoring something for a specific reason."
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
This is a common thing in my school. It is very common for other teachers to give reminders and give praise to other classes in the school. We are a school community and feel that everyone is there to help the students.
This is much the same in my school. Occasionally there will be a student who is on a behavior plan, so the primary teacher / special ed teacher will just send out an e-mail to all staff to let them know to ignore certain things when they see that student, as it is being dealt with in a specific manner.

I can see how it would be annoying if she is doing it often and making a point of coming out of her own room to reprimand your students, however. Especially since they are only 4 and still have LOTS of energy, where just having them in something resembling a line with safe movement is a big accomplishment.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes people do things like that at our school, too. I don't mind as long as the child was not behaving appropriately. I can't see everything, and sometimes if something is going on at the end of my line, I may not be in a position to do anything about it without stopping progress. However, if jumping down the hall is okay with you, then have a conversation with your colleague. Sometimes the correction feels like a slap in the face to me - but I don't let it be. We are all working toward the same goal.

If your colleagues correct your class for things you are okay with, then you need to say something to them, or tell your class that not every adult has the same rules for walking in the hallway, so if they are corrected by someone else, then their response should be to fix the problem and talk to you about it later.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 11-15-2019, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand about the school community thing, but if no one's safety is compromised, I don't think other teacher should step in. You know your students better than the other teachers do. They don't know why you are doing what you are doing. Without the full picture, it would be inappropriate for them to step in, in my opinion.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Old 11-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, talk to her. You can just tell her when she does that, it makes you feel stressed and you’d be happy for input from her privately. Or, if you’re in an equal power position, you can tell her the children are becoming afraid of her because the only contact they have with her is negative. Or you can let the kids know she doesn’t like noise. I taught next to an extremely rigid lady for a couple of years. My kids were older and I’d warn them, “We’re walking by Ms H’s room and you know she doesn’t like noise so ...”. They would chime in with their stories of her. She really was quite the old battle-ax. Like I said my kids were older, 8/9 but having a frank conversation with them about her special needs really helped me. She’d still come out and bully them occasionally but both the kids and I viewed the situation from an advantage position.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-15-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can I give the other side for perspective? I teach a testing grade level. Due to that we are constantly assessing to have the data to inform instruction before the big test. It’s been an issue when the little ones are making a ruckus in the hall. It’s very distracting. You’ll often see several teachers walk out to the hall and say something.

Luckily, it doesn’t cause hurt feelings because we have the same kind of community culture some of the other PP’s have mentioned.

As to being scared of her, I would hope not. That’s getting really old. I’ve scared several kids. When asked why I was so scary the response was essentially she told me no. It’s like the old my teacher screamed/yelled at me.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I feel the same
Old 11-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't like it when other teachers correct my kids. Half the time I feel like it's presumptuous for them to assume that I didn't notice or can't among it. The other half the time, I'm working with that student and ignoring certain behaviors.

That being said, it does happen in my school and I just ignore it. We also have a culture of commenting on others classes both positively and negatively, so I've just learned to ignore the comments and keep doing my thing. If another teacher remarks on a behavior rom a student that has a behavior plan and I don't feel was deserved, I might also give that kid a complement a few minutes later, or when we're coming back to class.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with Choppie. I think behavior should be a school wide community effort. It isn't saying anything about you or your management- I promise I do correct students when I see them in the halls- on the flip side, I'm also constantly complimenting students I see in the halls making good decisions!

UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is normal at my school. However, we have school wide hallway expectations, so everyone knows what they are and should be following them. Personally I love it. Our hallways used to be chaos and now they are very calm and it's possible to teach with the door open without losing my mind. I could see it being much trickier with correcting other students if each teacher is just allowed to decide their own thing.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kindiesarefun

Thanks for all the responses
Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's interesting to hear about the culture and norms at other schools. At my school all teachers compliment other classes often, but most do not correct others. I guess it just feels undermining to me. I'll try to shake it off!
kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hate it when someone comes into a class that is quiet and gives them the compliment. The silence is gone. Kids have trouble dealing with long periods of silence. When they are in silent mode I don't even talk. Then there's the phone that ruins it as well.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We view it as "our" kids, not "my" kids. We have an 8-person with kids having four of us. However, we meet and plan together, and we all take responsibility for all kids. We see it as letting the kids know that we are all on the same page.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote