Help

BusyBoard

Interviewing advice

>

hikinghiker

Interviewing advice
Old 11-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm have a few interviews coming up and at two of them (and possibly the third) I'll be interviewing with the P, maybe the AP, and members of the grade-level.

I've never been in an interview with more than two people. I've really never been on a ton of interviews either.

- How do I divide my attention?
- Will everyone be asking questions, or just the P?
- Should I bring anything other than copies of my resume and a notebook?
- Should I bring my teacher bag or my shoulder purse?
- I don't have a portfolio, but I could make one quickly with my certificate, playbook lessons, etc. Should I do that and bring it? I applied using Applitracks, so they have pretty much anything they could need.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on your interview.

-I always make sure I look around the table just like Iíd be looking around a classroom.
-they usually go around and each person will ask a question from a list of questions. They should ask all applicants the same questions to keep the playing field fair.
-I bring copies of my resume. I have my portfolio on google sites so I have a QR code on my resume. Iíve never had anyone look so if you donít have one or probably isnít necessary.
-I jist bring my purse and something to write on.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We each take turns asking questions. I agree with looking around while you answer. I initially look at the person who asked, but then graze the room.

My last interview was for a different type of position, so I made an electronic portfolio with ideas that I had to implement the position. I used it during the interview and I do think that swung the decision.

I was in on an interview where the person being interviewed had a paper portfolio - really just ideas she had gathered on ways to do things in the classroom. She was so positive and energetic as she answered questions - "Oh, I have this (thing) that I use for (that). She whipped those pictures out and blew us away. It would have to be pretty good ideas to match the questions or you wouldn't be able to use them, unless you could turn the questions in ways that worked.

Good luck.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

- How do I divide my attention?
As others mentioned, I answer making eye contact with all. I usually start with the person that answered the question.

- Will everyone be asking questions, or just the P?
It just depends on the team. I've been in some interviews where it's very much a question and an answer. Others flow more like a conversation with a lot more back and forth between team members- I personally like these best because it makes me more comfortable and allows me to interact with the team. I had one principal that had the grade level ask most questions.

- Should I bring anything other than copies of my resume and a notebook?
I've always just brought a copy of my resume, which has my class website link. I do point it out and explain how I use it with my students. Anything you bring should have a reason to be shared- it should be something that you're using to help provide specific examples.

- Should I bring my teacher bag or my shoulder purse? I don't have a portfolio, but I could make one quickly with my certificate, playbook lessons, etc. Should I do that and bring it? I applied using Applitracks, so they have pretty much anything they could need?
Purse only- no need to bring your teacher bag... I know some interviews where applicants brought in a lot of things that we felt obligated to look at. Like Kahlua said, they were blown away with what was provided- be intentional with anything you use :P Don't just make something because you feel that you have to.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote