Second Grade

Teaching an urban 2nd grade girl to read

>

Jean

Teaching an urban 2nd grade girl to read
Old 02-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I would like to know some ways to teach an urban 2nd grade girl who is struggling to read.
Jean

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Start with the basics
Old 02-21-2021, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would begin with developing an understanding of phonics and the relationship that phonics/phonemic awareness and actual word call have in common. Find out exactly what she knows phonetically and build from there. Good luck
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

cuteteach25

Old 03-20-2021, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi there, Start with assessing where she's at. There are high frequency word lists online that you can print out. Dolch or Fry's first 100 will do. You can choose to print them by grade level or frequency of use. I printed the first 220 dolch words by frequency. Print out one for yourself to mark on and one for your student to read off of. Then test your student. The first ten words she doesn't know put on flash cards and work on those until she gets them. Move on to the next ten once she learns them. Give her parent a copy of the list to work on them at home too. Test her on her reading level , phonemic awareness, letter knowledge and sounds. Whatever she doesn't know, work on it. If your district has dibels or a district wide assessment, use that to guide your instruction. For reading level, use books like dra or bri and assess what level she is. Work on any words she is not getting. Work on short vowel cvc words first, then silent e, etc. Refer her to Rti or SST. Ask a colleague or toa for help. I have 2nd grade and when I have a struggling student, I find out what they don't know with assessments, and work on what they don't know. This year I have a student who didn't know b vs. d. Told her b is for belly and d is for diaper. Helped her learn the difference. I also tested and worked with her on her short and long vowel sounds. We have dibels and when I tested her on cvc words I saw she had difficulty deciding if it was the b or d sound and fixed it. I also saw she had difficulty reading short vowels and short vowel words. I found a chart on cvc and cvce words and worked on showing her the difference...can and cane. I found some cvc fluency passages online to work with her one short vowel at a time and cvc fluency passages to go with it. I tested her on high frequency words and have been working on those. I tested her reading level with a dra bookand found out she's way below grade level. When she was reading I noticed she was guessing words instead of reading them so I worked with her on getting her mouth ready to say the word and now she's saying the first sound and blending instead of guessing. I worked with her MWF for 20 min. I also keep in touch with our toa. She's in SST and now heading toward more interventions.
cuteteach25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 03-20-2021, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you her classroom teacher or in some other role?
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 04-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wonder why the OP thought it was significant to mention "urban".

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-10-2021, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Me, too TAOEP.

What about the fact that she lives in a city would be significant for determining advice for reading instruction?

She's in 2nd grade? What skills does she already have?
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

Jean

Teaching urban second grade to read
Old 05-20-2021, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As of right now she is doing Reading Recovery, but I don't know what level. What dra book do I use ? Thanks for all your suggestions.
Jean

Jean

Teaching urban second grade to read
Old 05-22-2021, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
I found out that she was doing the reading program Headsprout . I need to find out what episode she was on. Did a little bit of Guided Reading this year because of covid. I think she is reading on D level but will assess her again.
Jean