Second Grade

2nd grade is ignoring the period of a sentence

>

Jean

2nd grade is ignoring the period of a sentence
Old 07-24-2021, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
This second grader that I have is ignoring the period at the end of a sentence. She doesn't stop before reading the next sentence. What can I do?

Jean

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-24-2021, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Look up the writing revolution. It's just a paperback book, so it's likely not very expensive and I bet you can find a lot free online too. They have sentence level activities that have been super helpful for my students. Likely, your student isn't "forgetting" the period- she doesn't actually understand what a sentence is and where to put it. TWR can help with that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

The period
Old 07-26-2021, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked with a teacher that made a game of recognizing the end punctuation. When the student saw a period they made a beep sound and there was a hand motion which slips my memory right now. There was a different sound and motion for the question mark and exclamation point.

At the end of the day while waiting for the busses to be called someone would volunteer to read and acknowledge the end punctuation correctly. The teacher and the students both kept track of how many times the person read correctly. A student would volunteer how many times the student read correctly. If the teacher had the same answer the students won a point. If the student read 100% correctly they earned an extra point.

When the students had earned 20 points they got to play a game or go out for an extra 10 minute recess. The students loved it and the teacher claimed it worked.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-29-2021, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just keep telling her that a period means she’s to stop, pause then continue. It’ll effect her comprehension so you may have her check her comprehension at the end of a paragraph or a few sentences.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote