Classroom Management

Is 3 chances too many?

>

kinderlady7

Is 3 chances too many?
Old 09-14-2021, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I have more questions. I am currently using a 3 strikes youíre out classroom management method. In my classroom, the first time is a warning and usually, it gets fixed then with most students. After that, if the behavior continues, I have a conversation with the student, ensuring that they understand the expectation and reteaching the expectation. Then, in the third reminder the student has a consequence.

Here is what I have found with this method. I give many warnings. Then the student behaves for about 45 minutes, then they do it again. At this point, it has been long enough I have started over. So itís just tons of warnings. OR, I speak to a student about their voice level and they get a warning for that, then they yell out so itís a warning for that, then they run in the classroom so a warning for that. Should I combine them al? Warnings for all things count? I donít know. I feel a little like it is too lenient despite my consistency.

Any advice? In the past I have used a clip chart and I also have positive incentives to motivate students but I have two boys who are CONSTANTLY playing. I have given them both consequences but nothing has changed. I thought I did well with establishing a great rapport and relationship but now Iím questioning!

Any advice is appreciated!

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Repeat offenders
Old 09-14-2021, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would draw a hard line with behaviors you know they can control, such as yelling out and running around the room. For those frequent flyers, tell them they are out of warnings/reminders, and give them an immediate timeout.

Time for some tough love.

I would also let parents know that they are being disruptive and get them on board. No reason to ruin it for the ones who are doing what they need to do.

Good luck. I have a tough group this year, too.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 09-18-2021, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. A disruption is a disruption no matter the kind. Something to think about: Teachers of the best run classrooms are very proactive. Instead putting a lot of time into reactive management or consequences, a mind-set that is constantly concerned with What should happen to ______ for doing _____ ?, these teachers are constantly asking themselves How can I prevent _______ from occurring in the first place? Their strategies are all about preventing so they wonít be put in the position of giving warnings. If, for example, students are calling out or running the question would be, "Why do students think itís okay to call-out or run in my classroom?" Do these teachers ever punish students? Sure. But punishment is a rare event as opposed to a daily, period by period ordeal. In 28 years of teaching I can count on one hand the number behavior problems that were not a direct result of something I did I didnít do.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe you are right on. However this year, I am at a loss! Here are my questions:
Why do kids yell out in a circle?
Why do kids look right at me and then start touching their friends?
Why do kids touch their friends, the friend turns around and says "stop" and friend number one YELLS "Stop being a bully!"

**I teach Kinder and the behavior this year is awful. It does relate to never being in a classroom before. ***

I am open to ideas of how to teach the appropriate behaviors. Books with the same issues have not worked, neither have Connection Circles or positive reinforecement or repeated practice.

I do feel like we are in a new world...
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-12-2021, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So a couple of thoughts: you're probably dealing with multiple irritating concerns. I'd pick one to focus on and then when that's largely under control, move on to the next one.
Do you think the students adequately understand the expectations? If not, then model and practice one more time. From then on, they're out of warnings and you jump right into consequences. Make the consequence immediate. Document up the wazoo. Make individual/group/class rewards for following instructions and/or reducing the number of incidents.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote