Help

Substitute Teachers

Quieting Special Ed Classes

>

Teachermom65

Quieting Special Ed Classes
Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing for a couple of weeks in an 8th grade special ed class. Most of the students are normal to high IQ but have emotional problems. The problem I am having is that I *cannot* seem to keep them quiet. Granted, I like a quieter room...but I cannot think straight when there are constant outbursts. It's not that the class is chaotic or overall loud - rather it's that I'm constantly interrupted while I'm trying to teach. I've tried ALL of the usual stuff (the "teacher stare", reminders, holding a finger up to my lips for shhh, positive reinforcement). However, there are a few kids who either have no impulse control or who just chose to not filter the running commentary.

The problem is that this is distracting to me (constant interruptions) and to other students who are quiet and are trying to pay attention. Since many of the kids are emotionally disturbed, I am trying to do anything and everything to not set them off. But now I'm tired of tiptoeing around. I only do that around my mother in law (ha!).

Any advice? I still have another week in this class and do like to instill some order. I have the same amt of material to cover as the teacher who is out on medical leave. The constant interruptions make this very difficult. Also, since I am not certified in the subject that I'm teaching, I really have to work hard myself to focus on the content.

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote