Substitute Teachers

Hoo boy, what a day...

>

metoo

metoo

Hoo boy, what a day...
Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This week I did a sub day in elementary (no IDs here for obvious reasons). Teacher was preoccupied with her absence. Lesson plans were there, but a little fractured. Class has a few ringleaders. Aiieee... The class has a kid who's been retained and is much older, and clearly he's not getting any supervision at home because all the junk he hears is coming into the classroom. And he sets everyone else off. OK, so I moved a lot of kids around, acknowledged great behavior, pulled a card, did a group timeout, etc. We made it through. I think the lessons were more exasperating. Basically, they were teacher lecture, followed by some notebook exercises, more lecture, more exercises, more lecture, more exerciseszzzzzz.... By the time I got to the third subject, I was nuts. No wonder the kids were nuts! Is this all they do? And of course, as a sub, I have to follow the plan. Good grief. After reviewing rounding numbers and doing the exercises, I stopped and said, "Why are we doing this?" The kids looked at me. "I mean, other than the fact that this is what we are supposed to do today. Why are we learning to round numbers?" One girl ventured, "Because it helps us add?" So I ran with that for a minute, then asked again, "That's one good reason. Can you think of any other ways we use rounding?" A little boy asked, "You mean in the real world?" Sigh. So the real world isn't allowed in classrooms...sigh... I told them about buying the new DS game at Target and how the price is $34.99--what would they round that to? We talked about rounding prices and then time (57 minutes is one hour) and so on. For five minutes, we had a great time, and I hope they learned something. I know I did. I learn something every time I sub. I have now learned--again--the value of limiting lecture. That, plus the fact that when I talk that much, I get hoarse...

Amberlee

Voices
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a teacher ask me to do a read aloud book for 40 minutes once. I almost lost my voice at the end of it. I love read alouds, don't get me wrong, but that seemed excessive. When you lose your voice as a teacher that impacts your job - gotta take care of that voice! I try to always bring along some tea in a travel mug just in case I start losing my voice mid-day (and some cough candies).

I guess if all else fails, you could ask a student to continue reading for you, or just write the instructions for the exercises on the board and point to it (I do that a lot, although I usually explain it too).
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote