Help

Substitute Teachers

In need of Math suggestion

>

stizzle

In need of Math suggestion
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I was subbing for a class in MS where they had tutors come in and help the students with their math. As the class progressed, I realized that not only do I not really remember much about the terminology used in middle school math anymore, but that I would also really love to retrain myself in algebra and geometry so that I can feel more comfortable subbing in those classes.

Any suggestions of books to look for that would reteach me in a fairly thorough manner? I still remember mostly how to do it all, but I would love to REALLY know how to do it all to be able to help the students and answer their questions.

I was even tempted to ask to borrow one of their textbooks so I could do some homework

stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

Old 11-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If this is a school you sub at frequently, ask one of the math teachers. I had to do this at the beginning of the year for a LTS job in 6th grade math. The teachers would prefer taking a little time to help you get reaquainted with the subject if it means having someone who can actually help the students in their absence. If there are enough books I'm sure they will let you borrow one.

I never enjoyed schoolwork until I started subbing, now I love doing the assignments along with the students.
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

stizzle

Old 11-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"I never enjoyed schoolwork until I started subbing, now I love doing the assignments along with the students."

So true! Sometimes with the younger kids, I'm like "Can I have that fun vocabulary packet, too? I want to match the word with the picture!"
stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Math Advice

Math Advice

Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can always check out math books from the library if you don't want to buy books to study. Good luck!