Substitute Teachers

seeing it all as a sub

>

newsubstitut

newsubstitut

seeing it all as a sub
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Boy, as a substitute I am seeing it ALL! Anyhow, today I had a teacher storm into my class and SCREAM at the top of her lungs and chastise her student in front of my entire class. I mean, I was scared after she left! lol The child had scratched a student in my class but this teacher yelled at him like he committed murder. *sigh* I would have been mortified if I was yelled at like that as a kid.

RadSub19

ugh...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that is one of my biggest pet peeves as a sub.

oh and you think YOU'VE seen it all....

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=214171
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote
SUbby

SUbby

Teachers entering into class and screaming
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think some of these intrustions occur because teachers aren't happy with things that happen when regular teacher is there. So this is their chance to try to change things. And get the situation stopped. They are afraid to barge in and throw a fit when regular teacher is there. So they hope their little tongue lashing will last awhile.

I think subs hate intrusions from adults more than anything else. Unless the class is wild and totally out of control, I wished neighboring teachers would let things slide.

The intruding teacher only undermines the authority of the substitute. If a teacher would call for a student by name and give him a talking to out in the hall, I think it would be a beter way to handle the situation. The screaming, slamming doors, etc.. is so immature. Maybe juvenile behavior can rub off on adults I don't know.

I appreciate HELP but not interference. I especially hate when a secretary comes in and gives me a dirty look and BERATES me for something that is beyond my control and no worse than the next class down the hall.

How about an adult coming in and speaking to the substitute first. And say HOW IS IT GOING!: ) And tell the students to be nice. And leave.

These little brief moments of adult immaturity is a poor example to the students.
Subby

Subby

adults barging into the classroom
Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No adult should enter a room without saying HI to a sub. This is SO RUDE and UNCALLED FOR!! And some of these schools wonder why they have a sub shortage. Treat the subs better.

I knew a grade school principal who would shake hands with all subs when they enter the building. At that school, I was treated like a human being. But this is RARE.

Some of these schools are at each other's throats over raising test scores and litigation, privacy and confidentiality issues. People are scared of losing their jobs and ready to explode.

I had a secretary storm into a science class and throw a fit over an IPOD sitting on a desk. Students had about 20 minutes worth of work. And collaborator never came in...she was busy. I am sorry but I won't be back and take any more abuse. Someone else can put up with the crap.

Nuclear Sub

Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Holy cow! That happened to me, too!!

I was subbing in 5th grade, and the teacher next door stormed into the room unannounced and screamed at the class to be quiet. She did it in a frightening tone of voice as if they committed murder. She even gave me chills.

Admittedly, the class was loud, but as this was happening, one girl just got poked in the eye with a pencil and was crying profusely, so I had to manage that little emergency in the midst everyone in the class talking.

Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Guessing that...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"...No adult should enter a room without saying HI to a sub"

I'll venture a guess that this has happened at least once to every sub that's been in the business a while.

I've experienced it!
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote