Help

Substitute Teachers

New High School Sub

>

whitestone

New High School Sub
Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started subbing in a local high school this year- first time in a classroom. I love high school kids (did a day in 2nd grade- not for me!), but I've been disappointed that as a high school sub, I'm really just babysitting. The lesson plans are always totally student-directed- worksheets, projects in the library, computer work, etc.
Frankly, it's really boring!
Is this the norm for high school subs?

whitestone is offline   Reply With Quote

ckosu

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am at the high school almost everyday. It is always worksheets, reading, movie etc. for subs who are not there regularly. One person may know how to teach high school math but another may not. I think they assume that not every sub that works at the high school can teach the entire gamet of subjects. For myself, I really can 't teach upper level math, so I would prefer for the kids to do something that they can do independently. Once the teachers get to know you better, they may find out your strengths and give you more opportunities to teach in your areas. I find high school kids much easier to teach than middle school kids. I have NO interest in hanging out with grade schoolers either. GOOD LUCK!!
ckosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Yes
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's the norm. We can't be expected to go in and answer questions about chemistry, calculus, world history, etc., much less teach those subjects. Great for those who can answer those questions, but I've never been given anything to 'teach' in high school. I had a class last week in which I did almost nothing for 6 periods. Sometimes it's a nice break from several days of elementary.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

New High School Sub - It's a mix
Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found that it's a mix. I prefer the higher end subjects because they normally have college bound students and behavior is never an issue. The trade off is that the teacher knows they are self-motivated and won't need anything more from a sub other than attendance and room monitoring. Just makes it an easy day for me!
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Well,.....
Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry I'm late on my reply, but since I only sub at HS or MS, I wanted to say that it depends upon what the teacher leaves you. I've taught and I've "babysat," but I believe HS subbing is what you make it. If the teacher leaves just worksheets, we've done one page as a class, another in groups, and the third page as individuals. Or I've gone over answers if it's something I know or can find the cheat sheet to. (Mind you, got in trouble once with a teacher for doing that, so be careful.) I avoid math because I suck at it, but I've been able to turn The Rime of the Ancient Mariner into a play with the kids reading parts, in accents no less which made it fun. Social studies is a great opportunity to take what they are learning and apply it to everyday events. I agree wtih ckosu, the teachers know me now in my preferred HS, so I get requested more often, and they leave me plans that I can handle without being bored. And the secretaries, once they know you, will tell teachers what you're able to do.

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Adams

Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Be prepared to answer questions on balancing chemical equations, calculus, geometry, and biology. You will also be asked to explain financial, accounting, and economic theories.

The teacher will not have you do this but the students will have questions about their assignments.

Fun stuff!
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote